★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Metal Tri-Peaks

10-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Metal Tri-Peaks

Hey,
Long time lurker. Since everything hit the doors today quickly, I didnt get a front page shout out on my newly released game Metal Tri-Peaks. For those not familiar its an iPhone Solitaire game but is more like an action puzzle game where you are trying to clear the board. I built in runs, time, and peak bonuses, levels, and a high score sytem to go along with what my friends are saying are some pretty neat graphics and animations for a Solitaire type game. Hope you'll give it a try....

Metal Tri-Peaks on AppStore

Thanks!

Last edited by Birdsoft; 12-07-2008 at 10:45 PM.
10-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Needs Work!

First off thanks for making a Tri-Peaks game. I have been waiting a long time for one. But your Tri-Peaks app needs work! I suggest you go to pogo.com and look at their Tri-peaks game. You have no "back" or "Undo" button incase you make a mistake. Your cards need different backings and you don't have any face up deals that I know of! It would also be nice if you had a streak tracker that way you can keep track of your various streaks, also a tracker of how many hands played. I am pretty upset actually that I paid money for this. Hopefully you make some changes and add some stuff to this! The iphone is a powerful device and I think this game could be A LOT better!

10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for taking a look. This game is based off a rather successful Windows Mobile game, so it comes down to more of you being used to the slight rule variations that the Pogo game might have(I really don't see where they have a lot over us graphics wise, just much different styles).

Actually, if you tap the discard pile it does Undo .

Im not sure for "different backing" you mean you need to have a choice of them? I have always made very customizable games in the past and so you can expect to see a settings screen. The scores floating up actually are multiples based on the number in the current run, so while right now I dont give a definitive count, it is rather obvious you have a good run going when +1280 floats up. But we will consider that too.

But, really, Im not sure what you want in "a lot better" and "stuff", what am I missing here? A counter and a couple card backs (and face up) would make this from a "disappointed" into "satisfied"... Well if thats what it takes...

Thanks!!

Last edited by Birdsoft; 10-16-2008 at 04:00 PM.
10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Ok...

I hate giving a bad review. I would love to come on here and say you have a great game but at the moment you do not. You need better graphics. You say pogo's doesn't have much over you but at least they have some! You also need replay value and keeping track of your stats and achieving to different levels in a game is just that! You need to use your imagination and come out with a better looking game. Just my opinion. Hey if you make it better I will be the first on here to tell you you did a great job!
10-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Fair Enough, in your mind its not great. In a lot of our past users and beta testers minds, it a rather good looking and addicting format. I unfortunately am not going to pay Pogo.com in order to play their game that has what appears to be the same "Temple" style graphics that everyone else is using. I do find from the screenshots that I and others will find mine superior. And our iPhone game is much cheaper and pretty much the same in game play.

But yes, I will be adding a little variation to the graphics and some other things as things move along. This if Version 1.0 of our first iPhone game. We'll keep trying....

Thanks again.
10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdsoft View Post
Fair Enough, in your mind its not great. In a lot of our past users and beta testers minds, it a rather good looking and addicting format. I unfortunately am not going to pay Pogo.com in order to play their game that has what appears to be the same "Temple" style graphics that everyone else is using. I do find from the screenshots that I and others will find mine superior. And our iPhone game is much cheaper and pretty much the same in game play.

But yes, I will be adding a little variation to the graphics and some other things as things move along. This if Version 1.0 of our first iPhone game. We'll keep trying....

Thanks again.
That is great to hear! I will be looking forward to it. Thanks
10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Quote:

Thanks again.
Thanks Bird for not impersonating an unsuspecting forum user. Remember customers can be blunt, that's why companies have PR people trained to handle these kinds of situations.

Now Raider right here is an "unsatisfied" customer, now it's up to you to take his critiques and improve on it, or wait for more opinions. You will not satisfy everyone, but remember you are selling a product here, so statements like "I and others will find mine superior", won't be helpful because at the end of the day the only opinion that matters are the ones made by your paying customers. They will not be all right 100% of the time, but you have to satisfy as much of them as possible.

Last edited by dudehuge; 10-16-2008 at 04:25 PM.
10-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Yes, I have been dealing with customers in the Mobile Market for 8 years. It does appear that customers on the iPhone have taken blunt to a new level, but I knew that coming in! (and no, not a slam on the 1star from Raider, at least he used it with a valid opinion, though he still chose to use it).

And I am always looking for constructive criticism. Ive got along fairly well with just being honest and not hiring any PR. Usually in this situation the developer's lean more towards just ignoring it completely and not doing anything then hiring PR. I hear you about selling a product!

I leave my blog to ranting about why this ecosystem has some problems and how this customer base and Apple in the long run aren't going to help it unless some perceptions change. It'll shake out ....
10-16-2008, 04:51 PM
A blunt new level...

Quote:

Thanks again.
Quote:
Yes, I have been dealing with customers in the Mobile Market for 8 years. It does appear that customers on the iPhone have taken blunt to a new level, but I knew that coming in! (and no, not a slam on the 1star from Raider, at least he used it with a valid opinion, though he still chose to use it).

And I am always looking for constructive criticism. Ive got along fairly well with just being honest and not hiring any PR. Usually in this situation the developer's lean more towards just ignoring it completely and not doing anything then hiring PR. I hear you about selling a product!

I leave my blog to ranting about why this ecosystem has some problems and how this customer base and Apple in the long run aren't going to help it unless some perceptions change. It'll shake out ....
A blunt new level? Come on, I bought your product and I gave it my honest opinion and ratings (yes 1 star) and I even mentioned how you could improve your product. My message to you is take the criticism and make your product better or don't, and risk not selling at all! If you haven't noticed there are A lot of free apps that are better then your product and you charge a $1.99 for yours! How are you going to make much profit if your quality of your product is less or equal to those free apps out there? Think about it! Like I mentioned earlier I hate giving bad reviews but I also speak my opinion and as a customer of your product I think that I am at least entitled to it!
10-16-2008, 05:11 PM
And Im not saying you aren't. Like I said, I knew about the "blunt new level" before ever writing 1 line of code for iPhone and the comment has very little to do with you. Except that you chose to share your opinion because you feel you are in fact "entitled" to it instead of just allowing other people decide for themselves if this game is better than the FREE applications out there or not(or games on other platforms for much more).

And you obviously know that if you are the 1st reviewer you are more influential to buyers than say the 14th.

On Windows Mobile and Palm it was encouraged to say maybe write the developer with suggestions or problems first to see if they plan an update and not start immediately effecting their sales negatively thus discouraging them from doing anything at all. Because unfortunately the way Apple has their review process setup, you can slam a 1star on me in the first few minutes, but they won't even release any updates I make for 1-2 weeks, so.... We are already at an extreme disadvantage in the game.

Coincidentally, I dont see a lot of the FREE apps that are as good and aren't raising revenue in other ways and see none that play Tri-Peaks. But the ones that are, some are because they are very talented hobbyists and startups that will and/or have started moving quickly back out of this market because of how "blunt" it can be over products that are expected to be priced less than a cup of coffee. Its an interesting game...

What's ultimately going to get me to continue making improvement to this new game and in fact take on about 3 other much bigger cooler projects I have designed. Sales!

Last edited by Birdsoft; 10-16-2008 at 05:33 PM.