★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Board Game Ports?

06-23-2010, 04:56 AM
#1
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Board Game Ports?

Hello TouchArcade community!

I'm a budding games journalist, and I'm currently trying to compile a list of Board Games that have been ported to the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

By board games, I don't mean the typical Clue/Scrabble/The Game of Life/Monopoly games. Those are easy enough to find in the App Store.

I'm looking for more, er, "hardcore" titles like Carcassone, The Settlers of Catan, and Roll Through the Ages...thusly, since I'm aware of the previous three, consider them on the list!

Are there any other games that have been ported to the iPlatform?

I really appreciate the help! I wasn't aware of Roll Through the Ages until a few days ago when I read a thread on here.
06-23-2010, 05:44 AM
#2
Joined: May 2010
Location: Channel 4 Newsroom
Posts: 420
I think you got pretty much all of the good ones that I know of. And its not really a board game but highborn "looks" like a board game but its more a tbs lol.

EDIT: Well actually Generals is a pretty good Risk copy and so is Wargame but with more depth.

Last edited by RonBurgundy; 06-23-2010 at 05:48 AM.

06-23-2010, 08:15 AM
#3
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,375
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Adventure Zones, LabyMania, and Path Wizard are all adaptations of "The aMAZEing Labyrinth".

Hand of Greed could be called a crazy adaptation of "Operation".

Sean O' Connor, an indie developer of logic-based board games for the PC, has a lot of his games ported on the iPod.

Dungeons and Dice is kind of its own unique RPG based around random chance. You have a hero who is traveling a linear path filled with different obstacles and monsters. You roll to move, attack, and determine the effects of traps or beneficial things.

i'm a pretty kitty cat

Last edited by SkyMuffin; 06-23-2010 at 08:17 AM.
06-23-2010, 08:39 AM
#4
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,491
Small World is a beautiful board game that is iPad only (but I hope they go universal)

Mastermind has been ported under several names but the version I play is called Mastermind by GetApp (removed because of the name)

Hyper Puck is a clone of the board game CrossFire

Word Ace is a fantastic cross between a Word Game and Texas Hold'em. It started as a game but the devs created the actual card game based on customer demand

Quite a few Reiner Knizia games have been ported as well
Knights of Charlamagne
Robot Master
Monumental
Poison
Topas
Money
Keltis Oracle
Ingenious
Roto
06-23-2010, 10:09 AM
#5
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,963
Zooloetto is excellent.
Button Men isn't quite a boardgame, but is also excellent.
Xeno Sola is a Carc clone with different play mechanics.
KDice Trainer / Strategery are fun Risk Alternatives
Rush Hour is more of a puzzle, but still good.
Cross Fingers is another great puzzle.
Word Solitaire could be played as a real game
Aura is OK
Chickie Dominoes is only good domino game that I've seen.
Jungle is one of many Chinese/Elephant Chess games on the system.
Solitaire Siege and Thirty One are fun
No RPG'r should be without The Dicenomicon (or similar dice roller)
Hanto is a Hive Clone, Hive is out as well
I don't know what the original is called but iAtoms plays well online
Slay plays more like a boardgame than a wargame
Blood & Honor is another good Risk like game.
If you have an iPad, check out GobbleGator (Hungry Hungry Hippos) and Castle Tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
06-23-2010, 11:31 AM
#6
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
Zooloetto is excellent.
Button Men isn't quite a boardgame, but is also excellent.
Xeno Sola is a Carc clone with different play mechanics.
KDice Trainer / Strategery are fun Risk Alternatives
Rush Hour is more of a puzzle, but still good.
Cross Fingers is another great puzzle.
Word Solitaire could be played as a real game
Aura is OK
Chickie Dominoes is only good domino game that I've seen.
Jungle is one of many Chinese/Elephant Chess games on the system.
Solitaire Siege and Thirty One are fun
No RPG'r should be without The Dicenomicon (or similar dice roller)
Hanto is a Hive Clone, Hive is out as well
I don't know what the original is called but iAtoms plays well online
Slay plays more like a boardgame than a wargame
Blood & Honor is another good Risk like game.
If you have an iPad, check out GobbleGator (Hungry Hungry Hippos) and Castle Tiles
I've been trying to decide if I should get Zooloretto for awhile now but I'm still not sure. Does it have any multiplayer? Pass 'n' Play or online? Does it have different AI difficulties? Would it be something you would go back to play often?

I read a number of reviews from the App Store and most complain that the game is filled with bugs and crashes far too often.

Last edited by Drucifer; 06-23-2010 at 12:00 PM.
06-23-2010, 01:04 PM
#7
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 238
Blokus was listed as available in another thread, that's a board game too.
06-23-2010, 01:35 PM
#8
Joined: May 2009
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
Word Ace is a fantastic cross between a Word Game and Texas Hold'em. It started as a game but the devs created the actual card game based on customer demand
Speaking of which... we FINALLY completed the order for the second run of Word Ace decks. Yeah, this was supposed to be done in February. Yeah, we know. Super late. But we also wanted to do it right, and one of the issues with the first run of cards was the box. That and the instruction leaflet, which didn't fit right.

So, with the second run of Word Ace cards... custom box, and instructions that are printed on what used to be the blank cards (which in our experience, we never used while playing). So, the setup & printing time is about a month, but then we'll have another 300 decks for sale. I'm also gonna try to get some of 'em into our local game shop (Endgame in Oakland, for those in the area), but who knows how that'd go?

Cheers!
seppo
06-23-2010, 01:57 PM
#9
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucifer View Post
I've been trying to decide if I should get Zooloretto for awhile now but I'm still not sure. Does it have any multiplayer? Pass 'n' Play or online? Does it have different AI difficulties? Would it be something you would go back to play often?

I read a number of reviews from the App Store and most complain that the game is filled with bugs and crashes far too often.
I don't recall having any crashes with the game - it's got pass-n-play multiplayer, and is a good port of the boardgame. I like it's UI better than Catan, but it's not buttery-smooth-perfect like Carc. Also, I got it for a buck, which might bias my opinion of the game some.

It's a great game to play with the wife/girlfriend - most women can't resist baby animals!

Go read up about the game on BoardGameGeek and see if you'd like it or not. It's not a terribly complex game, but fun in groups. I like the iPod version of it because it computes everything for you quickly and you don't have to shuffle so many bits around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
06-23-2010, 02:10 PM
#10
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucifer View Post
I've been trying to decide if I should get Zooloretto for awhile now but I'm still not sure. Does it have any multiplayer? Pass 'n' Play or online? Does it have different AI difficulties? Would it be something you would go back to play often?

I read a number of reviews from the App Store and most complain that the game is filled with bugs and crashes far too often.
The game does NOT work on iOS4

I reported the issue during the beta but I didn't get a response.

So if you have iOS 4 the answer is easy. DONT BUY, you're wasting money