★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Any opinions on Zone Warrior?

10-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Any opinions on Zone Warrior?

I quite like the look of Zone Warrior here , and it has had a couple of good user reviews. But I would like to see some video of it first to get an idea on how it plays. It looks like it could be a pretty decent space shooter.
Has anyone here bought it yet? Is it good? Does anyone know of a video link?
10-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Hey! This game is awesome, and no one is talking about it! I wouldn't have even known it was out if i didn't see this post.

It's space station defense game, with play thats like all the classic space shooters. It's obviously a low budget game, but it's one of the nicest one's i've seen.

10-16-2008, 11:53 PM
How are the controls? Any chance of a video for this game, wanna see it in action. Is this better than Venger which I haven´t tried either.
10-17-2008, 12:18 AM
The controls are fine, like X-plane with guns. The accelerometer controls you orientation, and you have a forward/reverse button by your left thumb. I would suggest moving the sensitivity down a bit.

On the right side you have guns and missiles, missiles are limited, but home in on enemies.

You start off just shooting mines that come towards your space station, but as the stages progress you have to deal with a few different types of fighter ships, and even larger battle ships. A radar on the screen gives you an idea of enemy positions, and on-screen warnings alert you to mines approaching the station, or missiles heading your way.

An especially cool feature is after you clear the stage of enemies, you have to doc with the space station. If you managed to stop all the incoming mines, you'll get picked up by a tractor beam. If you let some mines through and the station was damaged, you have to dock manually.

In this process your weapons on the right of the screen are replaced with a roll bar to control your spin. You have to line up with the docking bay and match the rotation of the station while controlling your speed on the approach. It's like "Captain Skyhawk" on the NES. Anybody remember that?

Awesome game though, i hope some people check it out.
10-17-2008, 12:27 AM
I've played the first few rounds - it's pretty smooth. I love the docking! I too would've passed on this game had I not seen this post. Thanks guys. My only concern is how many levels it may have, because I don't want the adventure to end too soon. Let's invite this guy to our forums - he deserves the hype for this project.
10-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Might have to grab this one.. always been a sucker for space games.
10-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey Arn - I'm sure you were going to cover the story on this one - The sooner the better, it's pretty awesome.
10-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Sounds like the docking part of the game is similar to the docking clip in 2001, am I correct?
10-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Yes I'm taking a chance on this one too, thanks to the people on here posting positive comments. Thanks guys. Will post my opinion a bit later.

[EDIT] Ok. This is a good game so far. I have reduced the sensitivity, and inverted up and down because that's what I'm used to. It does take a while to get the hang of navigation, but it works pretty well. I like the graphics and sound and am enjoying it. Worth the cash.

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 10-17-2008 at 04:00 AM.
10-17-2008, 04:39 AM
Bought it, played it, loved it! Just one question, when does the game save? I choose quit game after 2 levels and I had no option to resume game.

Other than that a really nice experience with good controls, sound and graphics.