★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Toytek
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 64.5 MB
  • Version: 2.0.2
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Try the 1st letter for FREE! 4+ hours of brain slamming entertainment!

Test your vocabulary to it's limits using cryptic clues, hints and jigsaw jumbles. These will help you with the more obscure words in the game.
You don't have to buy all the games in the series to enjoy each one fully as a stand alone game.

This game has NOT been upgraded for the iPad mini.

PLEASE contact us if you are having problems before leaving a review.

American spelling is accepted as an alternate spelling.

"Learning never exhausts the mind" - Leonardo da Vinci

"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" - B.B. King

------------------------------------------

In 1987, The Ultimate Alphabet was a publishing phenomenon. A New York Times & Sunday Times bestseller, the puzzle book featured 26 beautifully painted images, each of which jam-packed with items starting with each letter of the alphabet.

Now on the iPad its a fully interactive hidden object puzzle game for the next generation to get their minds in a twist over. It will keep you mentally agile and test your vocabulary and general knowledge to its limits, thats a guarantee!

Abbey, apricot, atlas, artilleryman, ammunition, aardvark, autogyro, astrolabe, aryballos, amputee and the Egyptian god Anubis are a few examples of the 362 words you might find in the letter A.

Cryptic clues, hints and jigsaw jumbles are there to help the player with the more obscure words in the game.

The cryptic clues, which are in the crossword style, have been written by Philip Marlow and Brian Dungate. Philip is a regular setter for The Financial times, The Telegraph and The Independent.

Coins, medals and trophies are awarded for the level of achievement; this will depend on the amount of help received for completing each of the individual letters. All the words in the game have been grouped into the 45 categories ranging from Flags to Food to Mineralology and Weapons.

------------------------------------------

You can find more information about us at www.toytek.co.uk

Or on Twitter @toytekltd or @toytek

Or on Facebook: Toytek , The Ultimate Alphabet.

Hope to see you there :)

Toytek's comments:
Download now for FREE and play :-
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-ultimate-alphabet/id357031202?mt=8

In 1987, The Ultimate Alphabet was a publishing phenomenon. A New York Times & Sunday Times bestseller, the puzzle book by Mike Wilks featured 26 beautifully painted images, each of which was crammed with items starting with each letter of the alphabet.

Now it's coming to iPad as a fully interactive hidden object puzzle game for the next generation to get their minds in a twist over. It will keep you mentally agile and test your vocabulary and general knowledge to its limits, that’s a guarantee!

Abbey, apricot, atlas, artilleryman, ammunition, aardvark, autogyro, astrolabe, aryballos, amputee and the Egyptian god Anubis are a few examples of the words you might find in the letter A.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Cryptic clues, hints and jigsaw jumbles are there to help the player with the more obscure words in the game. The cryptic clues for a majority of the letters have been written by Philip Marlow who is a regular setter for The Financial times, The Telegraph and The Independent.

This adds an extra layer to the game play and for those who are unfamiliar with crosswords there is a cryptic clue guide in the settings where you can also change modes to not include the cryptic clues.

Coins, medals and trophies are awarded for the level of achievement; this will depend on the amount of help received for completing each of the individual letters and the categories. All the words in the game have been grouped into the 45 categories ranging from Flags to Food to Mineralology and Weapons, these are a few examples!

The first persons who achieve a perfect gold trophy for one of the letters (A-D) will win a signed copy of The Ultimate Alphabet by Mike Wilks. Toytek has four signed copies one for each letter.

The letter A is estimated at the play time of 5+ hours depending on the level of achievement the player wants to obtain.

The Ultimate Alphabet is a try-before-you-buy model. Players can download the letter A of the game and play for 1 hour. Then you are given the option to in app purchase the individual letter or a bundle of letters at a reduced price.

I really hope that you enjoy the game. We have loved making it.

All the best,

Toytek !

06-25-2010, 11:24 PM
This looks absolutely phenomenal. One of my all time favorite games is textropolis, that while it is different does share some elements. I'm going to check this out. Thanks for the posting.

While I would love to win one of the books I think that is unrealistic for me, but what a prize!!

Ordered a used paperback though to check it out. The ideas are intriguing.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer

Last edited by pluto6; 06-25-2010 at 11:30 PM.

06-26-2010, 05:16 AM
Congratulations on the release

I played this game on my iPhone during the beta test. I loved it. It's a great game that would work so well on the larger screen of the iPad. So much work has gone into the game and it's not one I think anyone will be completing within 5 minutes.

Congratulations on the release Georgina! I hope all the puzzle lovers, cryptic crossword fans, fans of the book, and of course anyone looking for a challenge will download it and check it out for themselves.
06-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Is there/will there be an ipod touch version?

Hope so!
06-26-2010, 08:22 PM
I am going to jump in with Snow Mani - I saw the title of this thread and got excited! I beta tested this on my iPod Touch and it is a magnificent and incredibly deep game. The photos are beautiful and I can imagine that the iPad would make them gorgeous. Pleasure working with you Georgina and Congratulations on the release! This game covers so many genres like Snow Mani touched upon there should be tons of fans!
06-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Great, great game. After the trial period was up I immediately bought installments A-D.

I love the cryptic puzzles. Cryptologically, I'm a complete neophyte but already have a taste of the satisfaction gained in solving such clues.

This is a game (much like the rogue-likes) which will probably take me years to finish.

My only minus points are for the graphic design. Dialogue boxes are too large (perhaps designed for the iPhone/iPod Touch?) and could use, along with the title screens, some graphic design love IMHO.

Recommended.
06-27-2010, 10:11 AM
I finally got to play this today - it's a lovely, polished piece of work & great fun. Definitely worth downloading it.
06-27-2010, 10:33 AM
This looks like a GREAT game - but 14 dollars to download only the letters A to D ? Come on !!! How much is this app going to cost once you get all the letters ? The price seems totally out of line, IMO ! What do others think ?
06-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebecotr View Post
This looks like a GREAT game - but 14 dollars to download only the letters A to D ? Come on !!! How much is this app going to cost once you get all the letters ? The price seems totally out of line, IMO ! What do others think ?
Agreed! I enjoyed whatever I could with the lite version and then almost upgraded to the full but when I realized the full was only A to D, I deleted it.

Last edited by songbird; 06-28-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
06-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I have to agree with some of the posters above. I took a look at this on iTunes. It is a beautiful app and it is nice to be able to try it for free. However, the DLC is very over-priced. I would think that maybe $20 total for all DLC, or maybe even $.99 per letter would be OK. At the current rate, this will be somewhere in the $80-$90 range for the whole book on the iPad.

I wouldn't likely consider that even for a very impressive business app, much less for an entertainment app, no matter how beautiful.