★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: I've got a new game in development... (jakooistra)

02-26-2009, 09:43 AM
I've got a new game in development... (jakooistra)

...but I'm having trouble making it really fun. It's kind of so-so.

What would you, as fans of Blue Defense and Blue Attack think I should do?

A) stop development on my prototype, and work on a new game that I think I can really make up to the standard of BA/BD

B) continue development, trudge it out in the hopes that I can actually make it really fun (doubtful at this point, but still possible)

C) wrap up development ASAP, and release a half-finished product on iTunes for $0.99 or for free

I'm leaning towards (A) due to my pride. I don't want to go with (C), because I don't want to mar my image with something that's half-baked, but I also don't want my development time to go to waste here. (B) is a tough decision, because I'm not fully sure that I can make this game work, in which case it's the worst decision because I've both wasted time AND it will mar my name as a developer.

I've never had a choice like this before, and I don't want to just give up development, but it might be the best choice I've got.

What do you guys think?

Answers for (C) with the reason "I like free games" are appreciated, but not very helpful for me.

please qualify all answers with thought-out reasons.

Developer, Cat in a Box Games!
Blue Defense: Second Wave! - $2.99
Blue Attack! - $1.99

Fastar! - $1.99
Red Conquest! - $0.99
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
My advice is to try making it fun, but I don't know what kind of app you mean, so I can't really give a good advice, but my first reaction is that you can best finish it.

02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
any chance at a look at what the game is?
if it sounds half good we might want it to be put out there.
if it sounds just rubbish we would be more likely say scrap it.

wouldnt want to say scrap it and miss out on an amazing game
02-26-2009, 09:53 AM
yeah, tell us more about the game... maybe some good idea will come out.
02-26-2009, 09:55 AM
I vote for A. You're a top notch developer so people would expect nothing less than the quality of BA/BD. If you don't believe in it yourself, it's probably best to let it go.
02-26-2009, 09:55 AM
C is definitely not an option.
Maybe let a few people try it and give you ideas/suggestions if at all possible?
I think that will go a long way to deciding between A and B.
02-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Send a message via MSN to synagence
Why not make a quick beta build and distribute adhoc so people can throw some quick tips at your to improve it to the point of a decent enough game

Why work in the dark ... we're all sat here willing to help
02-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by synagence View Post
Why not make a quick beta build and distribute adhoc so people can throw some quick tips at your to improve it to the point of a decent enough game

Why work in the dark ... we're all sat here willing to help
Undercover reply

Why work in the dark ... we're all sat here willing to help and play

seriously jakooistra i belive in you, i'm know your game are awesome and your protoype is maybe a good and fun idea.
Juts take all the time you need to polish it and add content.
Tell here whats the purpose of the game and let us think and tell to you what you can add in it.
And ASAP as you want i'm ready for a french translation
02-26-2009, 10:10 AM
I would stop and work on the new game.

The most important thing is that you have pride in your work. If you aren't happy with it then just keep it on the back burner. Who knows, you may end with a mechanic that doesn't work for your new game but would work better in the one you are thinking of stopping.

I agree with synagence about the adhoc though. I know a lot of devs don't like to send out builds unless they are near complete builds but a distribution to a select few might be a good idea. A few ideas might be just what you need to make it great.

Just my thoughts
02-26-2009, 10:13 AM
D. Get others to test out the prototype and offer you tips.

E. Put it on hold and work on something else. You can always come back to it anytime.

From one dev to another, don't force yourself to make something YOU don't think is fun. I'd go with E for now.

Good luck!