★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Lites

View Poll Results: are Lites good?
Absolutely, it helps me decide 43 78.18%
yes, anything free is good 8 14.55%
not bothered, no opinion 1 1.82%
no, pointless. 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll
02-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Lites

(thread also aimed at developers)

I love Lite versions. As we know, what a great way to sell an app or game. I love buying apps, but will only spend money on what i'm sure of. which is where the lites come in.

Personally i'm happy to d/l the free lite and upgrade if i get excited. recent example being I Love Katamari. It's too expensive to take a flyer on and i've never known what it was like until the lite version came out recently. Now i'm happy to buy the full version. Likewise, now i can definately confirm i wont be buying Rolando because of the Lite. But at least now i know what it's all about.
And of course, some lites are enough to keep me happy on their own.

But back on the selling side, i really wish more developers would release lites, even if it means upping the full game a tad. Games like Sway, Hell's Kitchen, Zen Bound etc etc - i'd be more than happy to buy them if there were tasters of them first. This would mean more to me than selling your app at a cheaper rate.

Come on devs, more lites please, there's so much crap out there whether it be cheap or expensive. Help us decide

Last edited by sjleworthy; 02-26-2009 at 10:14 AM.
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Couldn't agree more. It was the same with me and PuzzleQuest - downloaded the Lite, played it, loved it, got the full version, adore it . IMHO, particularly the more expensive games should definitely offer a Lite version, as the impulse buys are less likely for them.

I am a one game at a time player, but I have a few possibilities lined up for after I beat/get enough of PQ, and with one exception (which at least has a PC demo, which I tried), they all have Lites.

Last edited by Isilel; 02-26-2009 at 10:06 AM.

02-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilel View Post
I have a few possibilities lined up for after I beat/get enough of PQ
If you love PQ like me, that's going to be a loooonnnggggg time!

But definitely need more lites. I am disabled and my Ipod is one of my biggest sources of entertainment. But unfortunately my gaming dollars are limited. Nothing I hate more than spending $4.99 or more of my precious dollars on a game I discover I can't stand.

My reviewer name is "Wawd Buhton".

Last edited by PSD; 02-26-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
02-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD View Post
Nothing I hate more than spending $4.99 or more of my precious dollars on a game I discover I can't stand.
Or spending $11 on a movie I hated... Or $25 on a meal I didn't like...

Anyway, I think lite games are a good idea. I have upgraded to full, paid versions many times after trying lite versions.
02-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilel View Post
Couldn't agree more. It was the same with me and PuzzleQuest - downloaded the Lite, played it, loved it, got the full version, adore it . IMHO, particularly the more expensive games should definitely offer a Lite version, as the impulse buys are less likely for them.

I am a one game at a time player, but I have a few possibilities lined up for after I beat/get enough of PQ, and with one exception (which at least has a PC demo, which I tried), they all have Lites.
Were you able to continue your progress when you went from Lite->Full?
02-26-2009, 10:46 AM
it also works for the devs - i just bought idracula, also because of the hype.
turns out i love this game. and much cheapness. now if it was a free lite with the full version being twice or three times it's current price i'd have bought it. but it wasn't, and i got a bargain
02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Or spending $11 on a movie I hated... Or $25 on a meal I didn't like...

Anyway, I think lite games are a good idea. I have upgraded to full, paid versions many times after trying lite versions.
My point was is that this can be avoided with a lite version, unlike a movie or a meal.

My reviewer name is "Wawd Buhton".
02-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjleworthy View Post
(thread also aimed at developers)

I love Lite versions. As we know, what a great way to sell an app or game. I love buying apps, but will only spend money on what i'm sure of. which is where the lites come in.

Personally i'm happy to d/l the free lite and upgrade if i get excited. recent example being I Love Katamari. It's too expensive to take a flyer on and i've never known what it was like until the lite version came out recently. Now i'm happy to buy the full version. Likewise, now i can definately confirm i wont be buying Rolando because of the Lite. But at least now i know what it's all about.
And of course, some lites are enough to keep me happy on their own.

But back on the selling side, i really wish more developers would release lites, even if it means upping the full game a tad. Games like Sway, Hell's Kitchen, Zen Bound etc etc - i'd be more than happy to buy them if there were tasters of them first. This would mean more to me than selling your app at a cheaper rate.

Come on devs, more lites please, there's so much crap out there whether it be cheap or expensive. Help us decide
I don't know it's complicated to design a lite version that gives people enough without giving too much. Just look at Galcon, I got the lite and that is more than enough.
02-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I have bought a few games only after trying the light version.

PuzzleQuest is a great example for me like others. Their strategy worked for that, they reduced the price of the game a couple dollars and put out the lite version at the same time. I suddenly felt compelled to try the lite version before the full version went up in price again.
02-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Yup yup, go lite!

I am one of those persons that wants to try things before buying, so lite's are a must.

I still buy Apps only based on Screenshots, Reviews, etc., but i prefer a lite version...

Fed up with all the casual games on the iDevice and in need of a new twist to the RPG genre? You can have an influence on the game with your ideas! For more info have a look at: Thread on TA / The Dev's Blog