★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Any good RPGs out there?

02-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Any good RPGs out there?

Hello there!

I'm not sure if a game of this caliber exists for the Ipod Touch/Iphone yet, but I'm going to try and ask nonetheless

I've always been a fan of RPG games. On handheld devices my old favorites were the Pokemon and Zelda series and on consoles it's the Final Fantasy series. What I'm looking for is an RPG similar to these. Do games of this size even exist yet?

I've looked at "Chronicles of Inotia", but I've heard there's no real story and the gameplay is very repetitive. I've downloaded the lite version of PuzzleQuest and it looks quite interesting so far, but I don't like how the buyable version only has two chapters.

So my question is: Does anyone know an epic RPG I can buy?

Thanks in advance.
02-26-2009, 01:25 PM
puzzle quest is pretty fun but it is not a pure rpg cuz it has a puzzle element to it. i picked up chronicles of inotia and it was pretty fun but kinda shallow on the gameplay end of it.

02-26-2009, 01:25 PM
You know the two chapters of Puzzle Quest take about 40 hours to complete with one character and there's a bunch of character types with different abilities to choose from...
02-26-2009, 01:26 PM
each chapter of puzzle quest has over 20 hours of gameplay so it is unlikely that you will get bored. i havent played it all yet but that is what i have heard.
02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
It sounds like you primarily enjoy JRPGs. There aren't any epic, high-quality JRPGs for the iPhone yet. Vay and Arvale are the closest currently available, so you might want to look up those two and see what you think. Personally, I think Arvale is the better of the two, but I'm not really a fan of either.

The Quest is the "most epic" RPG currently on the iPhone. It's gotten great reviews, and I think it's the best game available today on the iPhone. But it's definitely a western-derived RPG rather than a Japanese-derived one. It would be most similar to games like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Lands of Lore, Eye of the Beholder and the like.

Puzzle Quest is the other big option, as you've already mentioned. It obviously offers the anime style, which it sounds like you enjoy, given your mention of previous games. It's very different from typical RPGs, but very well done. It's probably my second favorite game currently available on the iPhone (though iDracula might give it a fair fight).

Good luck!
02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Vay isn't bad at all if you're looking for that old school feel. It just gets a bit repetitive IMO.
02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the fast replies, people! Especially yours, BadYeti

Yeah, I prefer the so called JRPGs. I've downloaded the lite verson of Arvale and seeing there's no lite for Vay, I'll try to check reviews for it. The video preview of Vay reminds me of an old favorite, Dragon Warrior Monsters

Ok, I might take a further look at PuzzleQuest after playing the lite version som more.
02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Puzzle quest is your best bet if you like the gem matching puzzle element. Only 2 out of 3 chapters but it's $8 and has over 40 hours of gameplay, plus tons of replay because of all the stuff you can do and 8 classes.

Otherwise, JRPG Vay and Arvale are your best bets. Chronicles of Inotia is mainly grinding with little to no interaction between town and NPCs. It's a good game and I've finished it, but it's not for everyone. Dungeon & Hero isn't all that JPRGish but is a fairly decent action/rpg in its own right.

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2

Last edited by Jorlen; 02-26-2009 at 02:03 PM.
02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Ok, thanks, I'll look for Dugeon & Hero too.
02-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Puzzle quest is by far the best rpg I've tried... It's got deep gameplay, an interesting story and great RPG aspects.. Lots of classes and 40 hours of gameplay per quest make it a steal at 8 bucks