★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: *** In celebration of the release of Running Fred, Psychoban is ON SALE for a limted time! ***

Psychoban brings you a deeper concept in puzzle gaming, drawing from proven classics such as Sokoban to create an unique and immersive experience!

-Brain-scrambling puzzles:
Psychoban takes you through an entirely new dimension of puzzle-adventure experience, as you must make your way through actual 3D challenges. A non-stop concatenation of challenges, hilarious situations and gorgeous visuals will squeeze you out of any remnants of sanity.

- Insanely seamless interface:
No virtual key-pads! An unique character control system, absolutely natural to the iPhone interface, allows for an easy and hands-on playability. You tell Mental Dude what you want him to do, and he does it!

-Deranged settings and environments:
Make your way through five of the worlds creepiest mental asylums, and become a part of their gruesome, gore-stained history.

- Mad quantities of levels
Sixty levels of concentrated challenge-packed puzzles will keep you hooked-in to the last second!

- Alienating, comedy-driven story
Join the adventure of Mental Dude, his quest for freedom, survival and a grip to reality.

- Lunacy guaranteed!

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/psychoban
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychoban/128736153820894

goiMot's comments:

06-25-2010, 09:28 PM
this looks pretty cool

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.

06-25-2010, 10:50 PM
You know ... yeah ... it kinda does. Sokoban on weapons-grade pharmaceuticals. Nice graphics, what looks like a decent sense of humour, and not your usual box-pushing puzzles. I think I may have to take the plunge.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
06-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Game Impressions

I bought. I played. I like.

It's more or less what I expected -- Sokoban, but ... more. The premise is that you're an asylum patient who has been subject to the ministrations of a mad (and apparently cannibalistic) scientist who, it must be assumed, took your brainpan for a bowl of ramen but couldn't quite finish in one sitting. So after his medical experiments he's subjecting you to a number of "sanity tests" -- logic puzzles to test what little remaining ability to think you possess.

The object is to move the boxes onto their targets, as you'd expect from any Sokoban game. However, now you're working in three dimensions, so boxes can move on top of other boxes, sit on different platform levels, and function as bridges. This changes the gameplay up significantly enough that while there's no mistaking its Sokoban origins, it opens up whole new gameplay mechanics that force you to think much differently. You still can't pull boxes away from walls, so if you get one stuck you're toast. However, you can hop over, or even on top of boxes, so there's a bit more freedom available here.

The controls are actually quite intuitive, doing away with the joystick of traditional Sokoban games and instead leting you tap on a box you want to move, and then point along one of the available planes where you want to move it. I found this mechanic highly agreeable, and it lets you play the game without having to hold the device to control your character.

Speaking of character, this game has lots of it. The animations are amusing -- your hatstand player has a small handful of animations he'll engage in if left to his own devices -- falling asleep on his feet, scratching his ear like a dog -- and the dialog between you, the mad scientist and his cranky assistant is entertaining. Your responses, being strained through the mangled loose strands of noodle you have left as they are, are complete non-sequiturs. There's even a nod to Portal buried in your insane ramblings -- which is kind of funny because as I was playing it struck me that the premise is a little bit similar to Portal in that you're being forced through a series of logical trials against your will, only with a mad scientist standing in for GLADoS.

There are 50 levels split into 10 areas, each with their own theme. While this may not seem big compared to the 500, 1,000 and more level Sokoban game out there, and while I'd probably like to see maybe double the levels, the difference in gameplay mechanics really make up for it. The sound is good -- sparse, but suitably so -- and the graphics are quite well done -- slick and polished with lots of little details to add colour to the level design. And speaking of levels, the difficulty progression ramps up nicely, starting simply with a full tutorial to get you off and running, and moving up to puzzles that get more devious by the room.

Psychoban is a very well designed game that changes up the staid Sokoban formula enough to make things much more interesting and engaging, and while it could use more levels, the 50 you get are more than enough to keep you busy for a while, and the graphics, sounds, entertaining interactions and animations, really sell the game. Even if you're sick of Sokoban games -- like me -- this is a refreshing change of pace that finally sets a higher bar for this classic puzzle game. Three bucks well spent.

06-25-2010, 11:30 PM
nice review, I'm tempted to buy now.

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.
06-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedog View Post
nice review, I'm tempted to buy now.
Go for it. It doesn't disappoint, the price is reasonable, and if nothing else it is entertaining enough that even if you don't find the new gameplay elements quite so enjoyable (though really, they are) there's enough entertainment value in the storyline (such as it is) to keep you wanting to make the next room just to see what happens next.

06-25-2010, 11:42 PM
How is the difficulty level ?

Also, gameplay videos are always nice

Last edited by cranker; 06-25-2010 at 11:45 PM.
06-25-2010, 11:45 PM
What I like most is the artwork, animations, and character. Really cool stuff from the screens, I'd like to see video. I'm also a fan of the sokoban gameplay.

06-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm doing up a quick video now. I'll post when it's YouTube'd.

06-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
I'm doing up a quick video now. I'll post when it's YouTube'd.
I hope the dev appreciates what you are doing for them. If I like the video, I'll get the game. I was already convinced by your great review, and the video will push me over the edge.