★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Idea# 2 for iPhone game: Virtua On!

02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Idea# 2 for iPhone game: Virtua On!

Remember this great game from the Sega Arcade/ Saturn? I think an iclone game would work out well for two reasons.

1) Its style of graphics have been done before (ExZeus).
2) More importantly, its controls and playability would handle well on the iphone (unlike ExZeus). If you remember, instead of constantly turning around to face your opponent, playability occurs in spurts; camera is locked facing your opponent even when dashing sideways and launching attacks. On the iphone this means you can play a 3D fighting game without worrying about the camera! Only buttons you need are dash, attack, and special attack, with maybe an iDracula style wheel for movement.

What do you think?
02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
Remember this great game from the Sega Arcade/ Saturn? I think an iclone game would work out well for two reasons.

1) Its style of graphics have been done before (ExZeus).
2) More importantly, its controls and playability would handle well on the iphone (unlike ExZeus). If you remember, instead of constantly turning around to face your opponent, playability occurs in spurts; camera is locked facing your opponent even when dashing sideways and launching attacks. On the iphone this means you can play a 3D fighting game without worrying about the camera! Only buttons you need are dash, attack, and special attack, with maybe an iDracula style wheel for movement.

What do you think?
Could be cool.

Although most of the fun of Virtual On was the dual joystick controls, something that wouldn't be as nice on the iphone. I played it on Dreamcast and it just wasn't the same without the arcade cabinet. Awesome game though, fond memories.

Artist - MotionX

02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
I used to lose hours at a time at the local arcade center playing Virtual On, it's an amazing game on an arcade machine.

Also have it for the Sega Dreamcast, it is nice, but loses a lot of its feeling on a controller.

I imagine it being even worse on the iDevice, but it would be nice to see.

Striker (YouTube video) looks great too, very reminiscent of VOOT. ^ ^

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-26-2009, 06:33 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PpGrillo View Post
Wow that actually looks pretty dead on what I was talking about - even the select screen. Now all there needs to see is how the gameplay feels.
02-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Send a message via AIM to jshmrsn
Heheh I remember that game in the Arcade, it was certainly awesome. I've always wanted to work on a Mech game, but I'm all booked up now

Josh Rosen
Developed Above & Beyond Air Combat (Now Available!)
Developed: SciFly
Twitter: @jshmrsn
02-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
Or a real Shining Force game (turn based strategy RPG like the older Genesis games)..
That would easily be my #1 vote of what I'd like to see. Something similar to Shining Force II, CD, or SoH would be ideal, but even the original would be great. ^ ^

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc