★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I'll buy it when there's a sale.

06-26-2010, 06:25 AM
I'll buy it when there's a sale.

"I'll buy it when there's a sale."

Is it just me that gets increasingly annoyed seeing posts like this around tA? I appreciate that the nature of the App Store involves constantly changing prices, but personally I find posts like this quite unpleasant.

If I was a dev and I'd spent months pouring all my energy into a game only for some cheapskate to tell me that 1.19 was too much for all my effort and they'd buy it if it was 59p, well, that's pretty offensive don't you think? And it sometimes happens within hours of a game's thread being put up, which is even worse.

And then, clearly these people want these games, because otherwise they wouldn't be in the thread in the first place checking them out, or claiming that they're interested at a lower price.

I'm just not really sure of the mentality behind posts like this. Do they expect the dev to see and think "cripes! that person wants a sale!" and immediately drop the price so that they personally can buy a copy?

So what is the thinking behind these posts? What makes them feel like the game's thread simply needed that input?

Not having a go at anyone and indeed, I'm not perfect. There are games that I look at and think they're not worth the money and if they were cheaper I'd buy them, but I just don't feel like it needs to be said out loud. Not only is it offensive, it simply adds nothing at all of worth to the discussion of a game.

I'm just genuinely curious as to why people spend their time telling us this kind of thing, and why it's just accepted.
06-26-2010, 06:44 AM
People are poor

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ

06-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglover411 View Post
People are poor
Nah, it's just they think a measly sandwich price is too much for some application...

speaking of which, they should eat less food.
06-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLegend View Post
Nah, it's just they think a measly sandwich price is too much for some application...

speaking of which, they should eat less food.
What? $2 for a sandwich!!!! I'd rather order off the value menu.

This is annoying. But unless TA becomes like faad(weather, location, & no complaining) we will still have this.
06-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondae View Post
What? $2 for a sandwich!!!! I'd rather order off the value menu.

This is annoying. But unless TA becomes like faad(weather, location, & no complaining) we will still have this.
They cost a lot in the uk... Wow, how much are US sandwiches?!
06-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLegend View Post
They cost a lot in the uk... Wow, how much are US sandwiches?!
Well, Big Macs & Whoppers are like 4 bucks. But I wouldn't even pay two for a fast food sandwich.
06-26-2010, 10:55 AM
That's the problem with the App Store. Everybody is trying to get visibility, so they drop their apps to 99 either permanently or temporarily. People now expect that all apps that aren't made by Gameloft or EA or 99*or free.

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
06-26-2010, 10:58 AM
I thought the discussion was about people wanting a sale on games and apps, not sandwiches.

Big difference there, once you eat a sandwich, it is gone, well there is one additional goodbye but we will skip the details on that.

Software is something you get potentially unlimited use of.
06-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toythatkills View Post
"I'll buy it when there's a sale."

Is it just me that gets increasingly annoyed seeing posts like this around tA? I appreciate that the nature of the App Store involves constantly changing prices, but personally I find posts like this quite unpleasant.

If I was a dev and I'd spent months pouring all my energy into a game only for some cheapskate to tell me that 1.19 was too much for all my effort and they'd buy it if it was 59p, well, that's pretty offensive don't you think? And it sometimes happens within hours of a game's thread being put up, which is even worse.

And then, clearly these people want these games, because otherwise they wouldn't be in the thread in the first place checking them out, or claiming that they're interested at a lower price.

I'm just not really sure of the mentality behind posts like this. Do they expect the dev to see and think "cripes! that person wants a sale!" and immediately drop the price so that they personally can buy a copy?

So what is the thinking behind these posts? What makes them feel like the game's thread simply needed that input?

Not having a go at anyone and indeed, I'm not perfect. There are games that I look at and think they're not worth the money and if they were cheaper I'd buy them, but I just don't feel like it needs to be said out loud. Not only is it offensive, it simply adds nothing at all of worth to the discussion of a game.

I'm just genuinely curious as to why people spend their time telling us this kind of thing, and why it's just accepted.
I don't think they do buy, I think its just an expression from young kids, their way of saying "its cool but I don't really want it."

I'm a developer and I don't worry about it. You've got to have a thick skin and accept that kids will massively slag off your 100% free app if they don't like even one tiny thing... despite the fact its free. Those people exist, just ignore them.
06-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglover411 View Post
People are poor
Well, I have no problem with that, and I have no problem with people waiting for sales either, I just don't understand the need to post in a game's thread to say that you won't buy the game until it's cheap.

I bought a sandwich for 3 the other day, $5 in App Store prices