★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Nethack/iNethack/Slash 'Em/Other Thread

06-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Nethack/iNethack/Slash 'Em/Other Thread

After downloading these, I have fallen in love with them. They contain multiple graphics options so you don't have to look at keyboard keys.

These games contain a massive amount of personalization and actions you can take (Almost like Dungeons and Dragons!)

Slash 'Em is the hardest. It is basically iNethack made harder and more fun in that you can see your items put before you and you don't have to type commands. You select them from a list.

Nethack has a bit of a response delay... Minorly annoying but probably has best command selector as you can sort commands.

I managed to get to a low level with one of my characters in iNethack but I died quickly from a yeti upon finding a village and thinking the guards were hostile and running away from them LOL

What was your best score/experience? Need help?
06-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Huh I haven't played those yet, been wraped up in 100 rogues and Rogue Touch for the most part. With maybe a sword of fargoal thrown in there.

EDIT: oh I almost forgot about cavern.

Last edited by RonBurgundy; 06-28-2010 at 10:34 AM.

06-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
Huh I haven't played those yet, been wraped up in 100 rogues and Rogue Touch for the most part. With maybe a sword of fargoal thrown in there.

EDIT: oh I almost forgot about cavern.
These games are free and will be right up your alley. Essentially, they are non-crashing games like 100 rogues.
And they have multiasking 'built in' as in they auto save where you quit.

Fargoal is a nice-looking game like these. I enjoy fargoal.

Edit POWDER is ok but graphics put me off :/

Last edited by LostLegend; 06-28-2010 at 11:23 AM.
06-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLegend View Post
What was your best score/experience? Need help?
With my vampiric necromancers I'm usually quite content when I reach the Oracle or manage it to nearly-but-not-quite Minetown

Quote:
These games are free and will be right up your alley. Essentially, they are non-crashing games like 100 rogues.
I'm pretty cautious to recommend iNetHack/Slash'EM to players who have enjoyed the more streamlined "modern" roguelikes in the app store. They are both pretty hardcore and quite honestly you should be intimate with any other Hack port already.
06-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh they are free? Guess I know what I will be downloading when I get home.

But Powder... from what I hear it is pretty much a demo and if you want to unlock the full version you have to pony up like $30 if I remember right... that's waay too much imo.
06-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
Oh they are free? Guess I know what I will be downloading when I get home.

But Powder... from what I hear it is pretty much a demo and if you want to unlock the full version you have to pony up like $30 if I remember right... that's waay too much imo.
I didn't play it much :/
All 3 games are quite different, try them all.

Dirkz: I'm used to Fargoal and those who play fargoal on any difficulty but beginner would enjoy those. That is what I am aiming my recommendations at.

Funny thing though, I'm getting a lot of notifications saying it's a full moon tonight and a lot of my characters keep randomly morphing! Is there a patten to this?! >.<
(They all seem to be lucky too... Is this app time-based? Lol.)
06-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
they are non-crashing games like 100 rogues.
The majority of the crash bugs have been ironed out of 100 Rogues. It's mostly minor, non-game breaking bugs that remain.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
06-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
The majority of the crash bugs have been ironed out of 100 Rogues. It's mostly minor, non-game breaking bugs that remain.
I still see reviews with crash bug complaints?
06-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
I still see reviews with crash bug complaints?
Well there's only 11 reviews for the current version, so it's not exactly a great sample. But the game has only been out for a month and a half and the devs have worked pretty tirelessly at fixing it up. So I wouldn't doubt if it became near-perfect in a few weeks.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Ah, ok.

No further comments.