★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why Devs Won't Do

06-28-2010, 11:00 AM
#1
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Why Devs Won't Do

Since the app store there have been many game implentations used based on the provided API's but even with these provided tools devs still either refuse, don't care to, or can't afford to add very few lines of code to their apps.

Some feel that the device should provide these features others are up to the dev, but to think that some of the most standard functionality is still left out of the majority of the 200,000 apps 80% of which are games, well then maybe this platform would crush the portable competition.

Here's a list of what every idevice game should have with every game (providing it's not a hinderance or a sacrificial addition & the functionality needs support):

*accelerometer calibration
This one was almost a first & devs slowly started adding it out of the gate instead of having to update for it. However it was an evolving option and grew with the app store and many different implementations have been developed, however some games still need it and it's safe to say that if we haven't seen it yet then the dev has abandoned the app.

*screen orientation option:
.....DUH!! Hmmm let's see call it apple or call it a lazy, unprioritised Dev but NewsFlash....people play games on both iTouch and iPhone & guess what the headphone jack is on the opposite side on either device. Almost every indie dev with a big title is always optimized for iTouch orientation. How the option to switch is not in almost every game is just beyond me.

*iPod music accessibility
This is the one that might be the most exempt from standard functionality because it does take a little more to implement & if your game has good music it's not that big of a missed option. However the point is functionality and the options to do so. Most games do better if you can listen to your own tunes while blasting away your buddy.

*on the fly Saves:
It's bound to happen on an iPhone, playing a game and you get a call. Now I get to decide to miss this phone call or answer it ruining my perfect run which would have put me at the top of the leaderboard.

*Multitasking
How long have they been able to developed with
i OS 4? We've seen updates but for optimization for what? A retna display....you have seven multitasking API's and you come out with and update for retna?.....because all of us have been waiting for that and not the multitasking functionality that would increase the idevices already strong position. Some devs won't even bother because their app is selling just fine without it, they feel apple should have just included it in the hardware. Or again their just to lazy or don't care.

I personally would like to see all of the above become industry standard upon submission provided it's a nessasary tool (like calibration isn't always in the app anyway)
06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
#2
Please include the price per feature you're willing to pay extra over $0.99 to have each of the listed requests implemented in your apps. I'm sure many developers will be happy to oblige a customer who understands that quality comes at a cost.

06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
#3
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frand View Post
Please include the price per feature you're willing to pay extra over $0.99 to have each of the listed requests implemented in your apps. I'm sure many developers will be happy to oblige a customer who understands that quality comes at a cost.
For one I've already paid the asking prices for each app that I would like these features,
Secondly I wouldn't pay for an update that includes functionality that the hardware can provide so just like Apple said it's up to the dev.

Your telling me some of these big companies can't add more functionality because it's over 99cents

What a ridiculous comment. I'm not to cheap to buy the platform and their games so don't presume to tell me that some of these features wouldn't only take some recoding and submission.


You must be one of those "I make apps to feed my family but my apps don't sell" devs

Last edited by ; 06-28-2010 at 02:43 PM.
06-28-2010, 02:45 PM
#4
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Your telling me 99 cent doodle jump that has made over millions of dollars needs more money over 99 cents to add some functionality?

Whatever.
06-28-2010, 02:47 PM
#5
100% agree. It's just like when blu-ray came out and you had to pay more money just to see your same movies with HD support. U shud just get the blu ray version for free since you already bought it once since that is what my HDTV can supprt

Artist - NimbleBit
http://NimbleBit.com
06-28-2010, 02:51 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by  View Post
For one I've already paid the asking prices for each app that I would like these features,
Secondly I wouldn't pay for an update that includes functionality that the hardware can provide so just like Apple said it's up to the dev.

Your telling me some of these big companies can't add more functionality because it's over 99cents
If an app doesn't have the features that you require then maybe you shouldn't purchase the app. And if you do, maybe you shouldn't go bitching about it on an internet forum with an overbearing sense of entitlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by  View Post
What a ridiculous comment. I'm not to cheap to buy the platform and their games so don't presume to tell me that some of these features wouldn't only take some recoding and submission.


You must be one of those "I make apps to feed my family but my apps don't sell" devs
You may not be too cheap to pay more than a dollar, but read this forum for five minutes and you'll see 90% of the people here ARE too cheap to pay. Thus, the wasteland of shitty apps that populate the store.

And Frand is a successful (multiplatform) developer, so show a little respect apple logo guy.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
06-28-2010, 02:53 PM
#7
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmonkey View Post
100% agree. It's just like when blu-ray came out and you had to pay more money just to see your same movies with HD support. U shud just get the blu ray version for free since you already bought it once since that is what my HDTV can supprt
That's the worst analogy I've ever read....it's a stretch.

Buying another device because of evolution is different.

I want multitasking so it's time to upgrade from a first gem iPhone (DVD player) to an iPhone 3G S or 4 (blue ray)

But that doesn't mean I have to pay for an update because the games in the AppStore are bought once & you get free updates it's not like I can update my DVD's.

So since devs aren't gonna try and resell apps with more functions....because it costs a little bit which you'd get back and more if your app actually was congruent with the OS.

But your right....devs shouldn't improve on their apps unless they get more money first.

That's bullshit. You don't say give me more money & I'll make it better.

You say my apps are optimized that's why I get sales.
06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
#8
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frand View Post
Please include the price per feature you're willing to pay extra over $0.99 to have each of the listed requests implemented in your apps. I'm sure many developers will be happy to oblige a customer who understands that quality comes at a cost.
This is overbearing entitlement.

Pay me first & I'll make what you've already bought better.

It not like I'm bringing you a car that I need restored.

It's an app that should be taking advantage if the OS it's customers bought it on.
06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by  View Post
But that doesn't mean I have to pay for an update because the games in the AppStore are bought once & you get THE ABILITY TO HAVE free updates BUT THEY ARE IN NO WAY GUARANTEED SINCE IT WAS YOU WHO PAID MONEY FOR THE APP THAT IT WAS AT THE TIME YOU BOUGHT IT, NOT FOR WHAT THE APP MIGHT BECOME it's not like I can update my DVD's.
Learn to be a consumer.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
#10
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
Learn to be a consumer.
So I have to contact a dev, ask him for an update and tell him how much I'm willing to pay for it?

Or else just wish for it.


Hey that's cool, actual game companies will update & indie dev will always have old outdated crap to piddle

So when I pass up your junk for something with more functionality don't tell me you need the app store to feed your family, update you crap get some sales& take them out to dinner.

Last edited by ; 06-28-2010 at 03:09 PM.