★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Akalabeth is back to the role playing world!
Experience the origin of a whole universe!

Akalabeth, World of Doom - was developed in 1978 by Richard Garriott, creator of the famous Ultima series. It marks the beginning of computer role playing games, and is one of the first programs featuring 3D graphics on a home computer. It's also the first computer game featuring Orcs and Balrogs.
This app is an accurate replica of that genre defining classic, bringing the feeling of a true legend to your iPhone, iPod or iPad. You can't get more retro than this!

Exact recreation of the original Akalabeth - World of Doom!
Find the castle of Lord British and enter extensive 3D dungeons on your quest to become a knight
Become a fighter or a mage and increase your stats during your quest
Fight increasingly dangerous monsters the deeper you advance into the dungeons of Akalabeth, until you finally encounter the legendary Balrog
It's still as immersive and fun as it was 30 years ago!

Elegant readjustment of the original keyboard controls for fluent touchscreen gameplay
Original retro graphics and sound take you back to those glory days...

A few helpers have been carefully added in consultation with Lord British himself, to make the Akalabeth experience more enjoyable on your iPhone. If you are after the authentic experience, deactivate them.

Autosave - re-enter the game where you left it
Start near castle - have a quicker start into the game
Minimap - find your way through the dungeons
No secret passages - don't get confused by hidden doors
More food - don't starve to death all the time

Earn achievements on OpenFeint for completing missions and killing increasingly fierce enemies
Visit Lord British once in a while to receive highscore points for raiding the dungeons
Compare your scores on the OpenFeint leaderboard

Search for Lord British's castle to receive a quest
Buy lots of food in the beginning
Beware of Gremlins, they will steal your food
Press the upper right corner for advanced settings

Our thanks and dedication go to Richard Garriott, also known as Lord British, for his consent and support, and for all those hours we spent in Britannia...

Gabrien's comments:
I'm in two minds about whether to pick this up or not. I think there is such a thing as something being TOO retro, but I suspect there will be folks here who will be interested in this one:

06-29-2010, 12:04 AM
I actually really like the look of the game (/wishlisted) but the keyboard keys are kinda ... Are there any options to change/customize them in anyway?

06-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Send a message via AIM to Ooo...shiny
Yeah I think it would be cooler if it could work in landscape mode with some onscreen keys so the game screen can be maximized. As it is it looks really small.

I thought dark spire was cool so I may try this out.
06-29-2010, 02:17 AM
Heya, thanks for posting this up! Akalabeth was a fun little project for us - we tried to make it as authentic as possible, recreating the look and feel of the original. Too retro for some, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that would be curious to try a game from 1979!

Originally Posted by songbird View Post
I actually really like the look of the game (/wishlisted) but the keyboard keys are kinda ... Are there any options to change/customize them in anyway?
Yes, there are options to make it less authentic (read: easier!).
Descriptive keys and a dungeon minimap are two of them:

06-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Hah I remember playing this. Whatta classic.
But nah think I'll pass on picking it up but good luck to 'em anyway.
06-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Not hot about this, but a port of the Ultima games (Ultima III at least, and upwards) would be awesome.
06-29-2010, 02:53 AM
I'd like to see a video of the iPhone version in action. There are videos for other versions out there but they are less than inspiring and will do little to help sell this game.

Also, I'd love to see an Ultima port as well. Ultima V in particular.
06-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Very cool. I'm dowloading it right now. I was wondering if you had the opportunity to talk to Richard Garriott about that? It's a great homage to one of the pioneers.

Support Love Battle Princess! <3
06-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Yep, Richard Garriott is aware of the project and even approved some of the (optional) changes. He should be downloading it today too.
06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Love it

Good job Nijo! Love the old Apple keys. Really nice touch

Support Love Battle Princess! <3