★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Labyrinth.....now in 3D?

02-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Labyrinth.....now in 3D?

Guess that Wooden Labyrinth 3D got to them. Illusions Lab Labyrinth has just been updated to have optional 3D.
02-26-2009, 11:59 PM
They gotta adapt to the competition. Sadly, you can only be so subtle. Glad it's an option though. Wonder if that's why the lite version updated... check it out now.

Edit: nah, lite version's still the same. phooey.

02-27-2009, 12:33 AM
I've tried the lite versions of both Labyrinth versions (though not this new 3D version), and I like the gameplay of the Illusion Labs one better. In the other version, the ball just seems to behave slightly "wrong", even after adjusting the friction etc. And though the 3D thing is a nifty effect, I kinda don't like it. it's juts ...off somehow.

I'm curious to try I.L.s version of that, but I won't play it enough to wanna pay $6 for it.

Hmmm I see the lite version appstore page says it has 3D graphics. Are you sure they aren't in there?

EDIT:
Lite version has 3D
, you have to enable it in the options. I think it looks better than the other game too. The shadows make all the difference, and the walls don't look as weird when you tilt the game. Looks nice

Last edited by schplurg; 02-27-2009 at 12:37 AM.
02-27-2009, 12:43 AM
I like it but it's buggy. Sometimes holes and 3D collide so I don't falll in.
02-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
I like it but it's buggy. Sometimes holes and 3D collide so I don't falll in.
I've just played a level with this issue.

I like the subtle 3D effect, however I think that will be in the next Labyrinth 3D update. Anyway, I like the records you can beat in L3D. It adds more to the gameplay.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
02-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Hi guys, Carl from Illusion Labs here.

We have had 3D-walls on our todo list for a long time and implementation was begun more than a year ago but stalled. It is true that the competition hurried things along though, we like competition

The ball can go over a hole without falling sometimes, or get its trajectory bent by going on the "side" of a hole, just like in IRL game. This was added to get better realism last fall.

3D will tax performance somewhat so I would not prefer it for all levels. We will try to improve 3D performance somewhat in an update. And yes, the Lite version also has optional 3D.
02-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larc View Post

We have had 3D-walls on our todo list for a long time and implementation was begun more than a year ago but stalled. It is true that the competition hurried things along though, we like competition

The ball can go over a hole without falling sometimes, or get its trajectory bent by going on the "side" of a hole, just like in IRL game. This was added to get better realism last fall.

3D will tax performance somewhat so I would not prefer it for all levels. We will try to improve 3D performance somewhat in an update. And yes, the Lite version also has optional 3D.
Nice to hear from you around here. Your game was one of the first I purchased. It's a classic.

I'm not sure how hard it is but maybe you could tag some packs/levels like "3D aware" and maybe extend this approach to "timed" packs/levels too (something like a time to beat as part of the level).

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
02-27-2009, 02:00 AM
Wow. I love that original Labyrinth even more now. They totally just took out the other labyrinth game.
02-27-2009, 02:10 AM
im loving the 3-d. i also have a question. how do i upload my levels that i have created and get it to people to download. i know how to get my levels on m ipod but how do i get them to show up on the list of downloads for everyone else to download my levels?
02-27-2009, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larc View Post

I welcome you to the posse of the cool 3D guys.

I see you chose the "not moving" part to be the top of the walls in the perspective change. In a way it is the more logical one, but I wanted to give the impression of the wood popping out of the screen.

We of course still feel that our interface and mechanics are superior and more polished. And thus, bring it on!

Any site up for a comparison review?

Wooden Labyrinth 3D - Apple Design Award winner!
Multitask Madness - test your brain, challenge your friends!
Need quality iPhone consulting or custom applications? Check out my company's website at Qvik.fi!