★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Is Porting Allowed ?

02-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Is Porting Allowed ?

I have seen numerous games that are "ported" out to iPhone (and numerous threads requesting to port the games) and I was wondering Is this allowed ? If yes, why was Duck Hunt taken off ? If not, how is Cooking Mama allowed ??

I know Duck Hunt was an issue because it used same sound track, graphics and name...but isn't that what other ported games are doing ?
02-27-2009, 03:30 AM
No, ported games are allowed.

With Duck Hunt, the iPhone developer must have "stolen" the content from somewhere, while other ports such as Cooking Mama are being made by the same company who made the originals, thus they own the copyrights to everything.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

02-27-2009, 03:30 AM
the difference whether or not the company porting the game has the permission from the party that owns the rights to the game. i doubt nintendo gave the okay to make an iphone version of duck hunt
02-27-2009, 03:31 AM
Probably because TAITO is the actual owner of Cooking Mama whereas Duck Hunt was brought to the appstore by a third party?
02-27-2009, 03:46 AM
you dont understand the meaning of porting. Porting is the act of a company bringing a title from one system to another. The game duck hunt was straight up stealing. A party not related to Nintendo in any way took the exact idea and made a copy of it.
02-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Porting means either getting the original source code or if thats not possible, the original assets/game logic from the owner and modifying/implementing it to run on the iPhone.

To do that, you either need permission from the owner or port an open-source project.

If a developer decides to make his own game completely from scratch, but using someone else's idea that is not porting. It is not stealing though (in the legal sense) you can't really steal an idea for a computer game.

BUT if a developer creates a game, and steals art/assets by ripping it out of an existing game, then that is also not porting, and what's more it is copyright theft.