★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How to post Screenshots - noob guide

02-27-2009, 05:53 AM
How to post Screenshots - noob guide

It has come to my attention that on many threads (such as high score threads and the like), there are many people who don't know how to post their own screenshots taken using an iPod Touch or iPhone. It is really very simple, and i will list the steps here. Maybe this could be a sticky so it is easy for people to find and we don't get needless posts asking how to post screenshots in every thread.

-----------
THE STEPS
-----------

1. Take the screenshot on your iPod Touch or iPhone. To do this hold down the top button (sleep) and then quickly press the home button. You should see the screen flash white and a camera sound should play.

2. When you are happy with your screenshot (you can view it in Photos>Saved Photos), connect your iPod up to any computer with iTunes installed (so it recognises the iPod, it doesn't have to be the computer with your media library).

3. Open My Computer, double click on 'Apple iPod' > 'Internal Storage' > 'DCIM' > '999APPLE', and you will see all your captured photos.

4. Drag the image you want to your desktop.

5. Open up your internet browser and go to http://imageshack.us/.

6. Upload the image from your desktop, after it has uploaded scroll right to the bottom and click on the + button. Copy the URL in there.

7. Make a new post on TouchArcade, and put the url inside the image tags.

-----------

That's all there is to it! This was done according to a 2nd generation iPod Touch, the folder names may be different on different versions of iPod but you should be able to find the photos without much problem.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Ph4ntom4; 02-27-2009 at 08:43 AM.
02-27-2009, 06:11 AM
On the mac they may not show in iTunes.

Go to Applications and launch Image Capture. You can download the images using that.

02-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Cool, I never knew how to do this. Thanks!

02-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Or, after the picture is in your computer, just use the little paper clip icon (attachment) and upload it here
02-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Excellent! I have always wondered how to do this, but never liked to ask!!!
02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
or http://www.photobucket.com

Also this should be in the Lounge
02-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourofl10 View Post
or http://www.photobucket.com

Also this should be in the Lounge
Photobucket requires membership. Also, I think it would serve a much better purpose here than in the lounge, because most posts asking how to do this are in this forum.
02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Well, I choose different ways

1. Create the image
2. Open the image on the iPhone
3. Send it to my private mail address or the twitpic address.
4. Open the mail on the Mac or the twitpic-page and drag the image to the Desktop.
5. Upload it using the toucharcade.com forum

This is faster then start the sync, open iPhoto etc.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
02-27-2009, 12:41 PM
the far preferred method is to directly attach them to the post using the "manage attachment" button when posting from a Mac or PC.

This way, the images will never get pulled down or removed.

arn
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
the far preferred method is to directly attach them to the post using the "manage attachment" button when posting from a Mac or PC.

This way, the images will never get pulled down or removed.

arn
I agree with your reasoning for doing that way (so that the images don't get removed from the hosts), but I'm not a great fan of the results you get doing it this way... You end up with a smaller, not-full-size version of the image in the post, and you have to click on it to see it at the correct size, so you don't get to see the image as intended in the "flow" of the conversation, as it were.

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox