★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Price volatility in the app store

02-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Price volatility in the app store

Price volatility in the app store.

Discuss.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 02-27-2009 at 11:58 AM.
02-27-2009, 10:08 AM
What about ones on sale for two that will go up to five and the app is christmasy with presents?

02-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Well Moxie was the straw that broke the camel's back. It seems games go down in price within a week or two of me buying it. So I'm not going to buy any more games over a buck (while still getting all the ones that are free and also Lite versions).

Then there's things like Puzzle Quest, so I'll allow myself ONE game a month that's over a buck.

Who's with me? I think there's tons of free/Lites/dollar apps out there that have the same gameplay mechanism/longitude/pleasure as the ones that are more.

And yes, price drops are a buck or two, but it adds up.
It would be better for me if I were with you, but I JUST CAN'T DO IT!
02-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Not me! By refusing to spend more for games we are cutting ourselves off from better content being developed for the app store.

Price drops don't really bother me, if I liked the game enough to spend XXX cents in it to begin with it doesn't really matter if the price drops after the fact. And I have benifeted numerous times from price drops, so meh - win some lose some.
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm for sure not. That's a horrible plan...
Just saying

Recommended Games: JunkJack
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb1975 View Post
It would be better for me if I were with you, but I JUST CAN'T DO IT!
I alsow can't do it .
It's just soooo hard not to buy apps from the appstore.
Somehow you always see something you REALY want.
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freegoo View Post
Not me! By refusing to spend more for games we are cutting ourselves off from better content being developed for the app store.

Price drops don't really bother me, if I liked the game enough to spend XXX cents in it to begin with it doesn't really matter if the price drops after the fact. And I have benifeted numerous times from price drops, so meh - win some lose some.
Well my problem is I buy too much so I have so many apps left unplayed - The Quest, Virtual Villagers, Sim City, Scrabble, Uno, the find objects games, word find, etc. etc.
02-27-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm NOT in! I will continue to only buy games if the price fits what I want, whatever that price may be.

I do my research and read reviews and watch videos. If the game is worth $5 and I want it for $5, then it doesn't matter if the price drops. I wanted it for $5 and I chose that. Who cares what others get it for?

But that being said, there's nothing wrong with waiting if you want to see if there's a price drop.

I've been away for awhile, but I'm back.
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I can understand people saying "I'm spending too much in the app store", but personally I'm more than happy to pay $10 for an app if I think it's worth it. (I've payed $20 for a few, and they've been worth it!). As always, it's buyer beware - make sure that you've researched the purchase, check AppShopper to see how new it is, if it's gone down in price before (it will again!), etc.

Other than that, just remind yourself that you were willing to pay $? for the game, and were (hopefully) happy with it. Missing a sale doesn't make it less valuable!

I'm pretty against an "ALL GAMES MUST BE $1" movement - I really think that you'll see nothing but a drastic decline in the quality & scope of games if this takes hold. And fwiw, I'm really liking the quality & scope that the app store has brought out in NEW devs, that otherwise wouldn't exist if PS3 & XBOX were the only platforms! I say, SUPPORT THE DEVS! (You can choose which ones are worthy of our support, and which ones aren't.)

(Oh, and you know that karma is going to kick you in the a$$! )

Oy! What are you playing at!

Current favs: The Incident, Chopper 2, Doodle God, Carcassonne
Classics: iFighter, Canabalt, Meteor Blitz, Zombieville USA, Minigore
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Well my problem is I buy too much so I have so many apps left unplayed - The Quest, Virtual Villagers, Sim City, Scrabble, Uno, the find objects games, word find, etc. etc.
I don't have enough money to have that problem... wish I did.