★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Torus Trooper fans rejoice! It's in the app store!

10-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Torus Trooper fans rejoice! It's in the app store!

Well, not exactly. The app is called 'Vektrax' and is available from the app store at 59p here .

For ages I have been after a Torus Trooper type game on the iPhone/Touch. Torus Trooper is a game on Windows and Mac where you control a ship going along a tunnel shooting other ships. Now Vektrax has arrived and it virtually IS Torus Trooper, but better!

Here's some of my own screenshots-

It plays great! There can be a slight judder in the framerate when the track changes shape, but it is otherwise very smooth, with nice colourful graphics (as you can see). It can get really fast. The sound is good enough, with their being the sound of explosions but that's about it. Luckily you can play your own music while still having the explosion sound effects over it. Unlike Torus Trooper, there are just normal guns to fire (which is automatic), and no smart bombs. However an added element is fuel, where you gain fuel by shooting ships and hold the fuel cells on screen to get a boost (you have a time limit to get to the checkpoint).
All I can say is I love it- especially for the price. And no, I am in no way connected with the developer! I thoroughly recommend it people.

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 10-17-2008 at 04:35 PM.
10-17-2008, 07:30 AM
The price is right, but those graphics are HEINOUS.
10-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavis View Post
The price is right, but those graphics are HEINOUS.
It's a lot better moving, and I actually like the retro look- it kind of suits the style of the game. But hey, each to their own.

I have emailed the developer and invited them here.
10-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
It's a lot better moving, and I actually like the retro look- it kind of suits the style of the game. But hey, each to their own.

I have emailed the developer and invited them here.
I agree. When you hear the sound along with the the gameplay you'll appreciate it more. It looks that way intentionally. I thought they looked bad too, but now I think it wouldn't be as fun if they looked better. It'd kind of ruin the mood I guess.
10-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Couldn't agree more NotYou.

I emailed the developer to congratulate them on a good game, and he was nice enough to reply-

"Thank you for the positive feedback and post on the Touch Arcade forum.
Feedback such as this is always welcome. We're fans of Torus Trooper here
too.
I'm glad you're enjoying the game - we wanted to create something that took
advantage of the iPhone's input mechanisms and power, but was also easy and
fun for people to drop into and play without burning a hole in anyone's
wallet. Here's hoping it goes down well with the rest of the iPhone
community. "