★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Brick Breaker Revolution 3D is out (Digital Chocolate)

02-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Brick Breaker Revolution 3D is out (Digital Chocolate)

Brick Breaker Revolution 3D $5.99 (9.2 MB)

After Tower Bloxx Digital Chocolate has released Brick Breaker Revolution 3D which I was not expecting... The free version is also coming according to developer's site.

It looks very polished and here are, finally, my first impressions (28fev2009):

I had to give more time than I use to spare in order to have my first impressions about this game, not only because it cost more than the average App Store game but also due the fact that we have a lot of “Arknoid” games, including the very polished Block Breaker Deluxe 2.

As all Digital Chocolate games, BBR3D has a great presentation in all aspects: interface, graphics, animations and music.

The game content is not as extensive as BBD2 but what makes BBR3D unique is its 3D graphics and the Revolution mode.

The 3D graphics work very well but the camera is still. If you move your device the board does not change its perspective which does not feel right (tho some users would probably want the way it is right now). However the 2D view also makes BBD2 very enjoyable. There’s no winner here, just two titles about the same gameplay but with different point of views. Do you love this kind of game? Don’t read any further, get BBR3D.

The Revolution mode is very interesting indeed. You can play a level, get a key and go to the next level without finishing the previous one. If you get another key you can go back to the previous one and so on. It’s nice and the transition is top-notch.

Both titles have the same control (more the pad with the finger) and both well implemented. The extra space at bottom (for the finger) is really necessary. BBD2 area is bigger due its screen orientation (portrait). For me the BBR3D smaller area was a problem at all.

Note that BBR3D has an alternative control that lives with the finger one: tap arrows to move the pad. This method works better than I thought it would be. But the small area for the arrows is hard to keep track while playing. It’d be better if this alternative was an option and the area was as big as possible.

BBR3D has a nice set of power-ups. They generate some nice special effects. Some of them however may get into the way, making you lose a ball, others may cause a frame rate drop (or the effect or some iPhone background service) and the big ball one causes too much noise. What is not so good is the way you trigger them. There are four slots. Two at top left and two at top right. If you control your pad with one hand one side containing power-ups will be harder to tap. The design here could be better.

However, BBD2 has also a great set of power-ups, including a shop to buy or improve some of them. At the end, one game may display more effects than the other one but they are all power-ups and work basically the same way.

Both games has almost the same gameplay: you start in an easy level, with a slow ball. BBD2, that I’ve played today, is kind of a walk in the park (the quick game/Island mode). You don’t need too much effort to keep winning. BBR3D Revolution mode was easy initially but it seems to get harder faster than the other one. However, I’ve been playing BBR3D for just two days.

I rate both games 4/5. BBR3D is a nice alternative but it is not something that you can’t miss, that you have to buy. The wow factor is there but it is minimized due the static 3D camera and some hard to get power-ups. Anyway, it’s recommend for game lovers (such as I’m) or Arknoid fans.

Quote:
Experience a revolutionary brick breaking game that sets a new standard of fun over any break out style game you've ever played! Master the radical tower of bricks, reaching unimaginable heights!

Get blown away by stunning 3D graphics, infinite levels, insane power ups, secret bonus levels, epic boss battles and more! Three amazing game modes deliver endless excitement: Revolution, Classic and Time Attack! Pick up over 20 unique power-ups including Nukes, Magnets, Rockets, Freeze Shots and Unstoppable Fury Ball! Break your first brick to start a revolution today!

Premium Game Features:
•Three game modes:
(1)Revolution Mode – Survive as long as you can playing endless levels and battling deadly bosses
(2)Classic Mode – Complete 99 levels and defeat the final boss
(3)Time Attack – Go as far as you can in a battle against the clock
•More levels, brick types, boss battles, game modes, power ups ever offered!
•Never before seen Revolution mode features the 'infinite' tower of brick levels, boss fights, secret levels and more!
•Power-ups include Lasers, Nuke, Mirror, Smart Bombs and more!
•Earn up to 30 Achievement Badges for completing challenges!

IGN gives 8.5/10 and an Editor's Choice Award:
"Brick Breaker Revolution is an excellent take on the "Breakout" formula. The core game play -- busting blocks -- is solidly intact, but wholly elevated by the ability to move up and down a tower of brick-filled screens. All of the weapons are fine-tuned and immensely useful. And the game vibrates with style. Highly recommended."

Check out other exciting DChoc games: Crazy Penguin Catapult, Chocolate Shop Frenzy, Tower Bloxx Deluxe 3D

You can find Digital Chocolate games in various categories including Action, Adventure, Arcade, Strategy, Puzzle and Simulation.

To ensure optimal functionality of your game, it is recommended that you restart your device after installing a new application.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 02-28-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: First impressions added.
02-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I know this genre of games, I just can't name it

http://www.tenfingersclub.com for fair reviews and the occasional promo code giveaway.
Car Jack Streets is out!!!!Link
Looking forward: Bethesda game, Terminator
I'm Playing Galaxy of fire 3D, Galcon, Watchmen: Justice is Coming, and Black Shades

02-27-2009, 07:15 PM
It's a Breakout/Arkanoid-type game.

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
02-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Looks really nice by the screenshots, but need to see a Lite version..
02-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Looks impressive, if nothing else.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-27-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm a sucker. Just bought it. I need help.
02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Visually, it looks very tempting. But I need to think about whether I need another breakout-type app.
02-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by korymatthew View Post
I'm a sucker. Just bought it. I need help.
First impressions, please?

PS: we all need help!

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
02-27-2009, 08:29 PM
I loved superball 2 great game , just not sure i need another arkanoid game right now might snipe it or wait for light version
02-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Ha, yes, yes we do

So here are my initial thoughts (though keep in mind, I've only played for like 30 minutes)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A) It's actually quite a bit of fun. There are a few different modes...Classic - which is just like most other breakout games...just in 3D and then there's the Revolution Mode, in which, from what I can tell, you have to get the ball past the computer's AI paddle to and then it moves to another level. VERY cool. Kinda PONG-y...

B) The soundtrack is great. Kinda new techno, kinda retro.

C) There are all KINDS of unlockable achievements! I'm not sure what happens after you unlock them quite yet, but they're there.

D) There's a BIT of a story happening kinda with this character in the game that tells you before each challenge what to do. It's kinda cool. Adds a new dimension to the genre I think.

FINAL THOUGHT) As much as a "breakout" as this feels (and LOOKS), it looks like the guys from Digital Chocolate have actually put quite a bit of thought into how to give the game a unique edge vs. all the other similarly styled games out there. Plus, $5.99 is kind of a premium (not really, but given the context of the buck-a-game AppStore, you know what I mean)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I for one, don't mind paying $6, $10 or even more, as long as the game is going to have some replay value, which many of the games I've come across so far seem to lack.

Alright, that's it for now. Back to the game

(Ed. note: I've PLAYED several of the breakout-style games, though, I've never actually BOUGHT any of them - just lite versions (and I've spent several HUNDREDS of dollars already on apps and games..ADDICT) - none have ever really struck me as being particularly unique...until NOW.)

Last edited by korymatthew; 02-27-2009 at 08:35 PM.