★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Canoe Slalom - paddle with your thumbs! [Out 8th JULY]

07-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Canoe Slalom - paddle with your thumbs! [LITE out now]

Hi,

My name is Steven Ridley and I am a UK based Indie iPhone/iPod Touch game developer. I am very pleased to announce the upcoming release of my first game Canoe Slalom on Thursday 8th July 2010. I'm afraid i've run out of promo codes to give away, but there's a video linked below for you to see it in action. Would be great to hear what you all think

Introducing Canoe Slalom - the new game for iPhone and iPod Touch where you paddle with your thumbs, guiding your canoe down a flowing river to get the best time. Unlock medals, and compete with your friends in online leaderboards.

Features:
- Paddle with your thumbs! Intuitive two-thumb controls.
- 20 original slalom courses.
- 40 gold/silver/bronze medals to earn.
- Endurance Run: beat the clock as you try and get through as many gates as possible before the time runs out!
- OpenFeint integration: compete with friends and others with online fastest time leaderboards (globally and friends-only).
- 41 achievements to earn via OpenFeint.
- Only $0.99/0.59

http://www.puddlesplashgames.com/canoeslalom.html

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hfx9BRzS7s

Thanks for reading. If you have any comments/questions feel free to reply to this thread - i'll check back

Steve
PuddleSplash Games

Last edited by Steve_PuddleSplash; 07-28-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: change title
07-05-2010, 06:28 PM
The graphics look a bit below par, but the physics seem to have been implemented well. The key will be how well it controls, but I will most likely take a chance on this when it's out.

07-05-2010, 06:37 PM
The controls are a bit hard IMO. They just need some getting used to as they require the rhythm of your thumbs.

Waiting for: Airborne Troopers, Mini Motor Racing. Minisquadron 2, Tweetland, Car Jack Streets 2, Drive Forever, Turf Geography Club, Junk Jack!!
Twitter: @nkatti
Proud Beta Tester of over 30 Games!
07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Game Impressions

Excellent little game. Controls are absolutely spot on, as are the physics. Love how the global leaderboards come up automatically before every run (but can be skipped if you choose.)

This is precisely the kind of game that exemplifies what's best about the app store, and should be supported. Highest recommendation.
07-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Youtube link | Pop Up

Username for GameCenter, Plus+, OpenFeint, Crystal, Agon, and others: xFinch713x
Xbox Live: ISMFOFinch

Last edited by xFinch713x; 07-08-2010 at 08:43 PM.
07-09-2010, 04:21 AM
Come on people, I know this isn't in high res 3D, is not published by a big company, and doesn't have any zombies in it. But it is a great game and deserves your attention. Seriously.
07-10-2010, 04:48 AM
Thanks for your enthusiasm Gabrien - I see you've been busy on the leaderboards I'm running a code giveaway on this thread for anyone else who's interested.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...41#post1174041

Thanks again,

Steve
PuddleSplash Games
07-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Come on people, I know this isn't in high res 3D, is not published by a big company, and doesn't have any zombies in it. But it is a great game and deserves your attention. Seriously.
I totally agree its a great little game and as a brit its nice to see a brit developer on here too
07-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Hey I'm a brit too

I like this game though, thumbs up. The graphics are poor but the execution (swiping along the sides) FEELS like a canoe... and thats pretty great. Sometimes playability is more important as this game shows.
07-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzbox View Post
I like this game though, thumbs up. The graphics are poor but the execution (swiping along the sides) FEELS like a canoe... and thats pretty great. Sometimes playability is more important as this game shows.
I had a real "wow" moment when I realized that the little guy's arms actually mimic exactly the height at which I place my thumbs on the screen. Place thumbs higher, and he pulls the oars back further. Swipe all the way down and the follow through on the stroke is greater. Amazing. And this alone adds so much depth to the game, it's incredible, because perfecting your strokes and seeing the actual results unfold is just so hugely satisfying.

Wonderful job, Steve. I really hope this game picks up for you as it deserves it more than any other I can think of. By the way, are you on the leaderboards too? What name? I've spent most of my time just playing the first couple of runs, as it's just so satisfying to be able to do that little bit better, I don't feel like moving on yet.