★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: angelFrogGames
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 7.0 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Imagine a wordsearch but with colored shapes instead of words!
Just relax and find the sequences... and let the game measure your Zen!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Features:
- colorful-neon-glowy goodness
- 6 different rules for matching
- 3 levels of visibility Normal, Blind and Flash
- Intelligent touch sensing for fat fingers
- Shuffle level colors and shapes to your liking
- Dont want to play a level? Skip it!
- Grid sizes of 6x6 up to 10x10
- Gentle scoring no leaderboards, no high scores!
- Measure your Zen (whatever that means)

Shape Search Zen shifts the classic gameplay of Wordsearches into something new, yet familiar, by asking the player to find sequences of colored shapes hidden within a random grid of similar shapes. At heart, its a game of matching, but the definition of match will not always be the same. Additionally, while the player is enjoying the game, the game is observing the player and at the end of each level will provide an estimation of the players Zen.

Beyond the Zen aspect, the game provides a mix of gameplay options. It starts with the expected see a red triangle, find a red triangle, but the rules quickly change. Some levels it will mean find a triangle that isnt red, or find something that is neither a triangle nor red. Additionally, some levels will require a bit of memory as all the pieces on the play Grid will disappear when you touch the first correct shape in the sequence, and some levels will have the pieces on the play grid fading in and out so that not all are visible at once.

What is Zen?

Hmmm... That would be telling!

Some clues:
- Zen is a very delicate thing. Just knowing what it is can dramatically affect the results.
- Dont assume youre doing poorly because you get a low score!
- If you're feeling anxious, you could end up with random seeming scores.
- Relax!

angelFrog's comments:
Hi one and all!

Enjoy
07-07-2010, 10:30 AM
So does the selected game mode's difficulty affect the score (tough stuff like fading and needing not to match anything means all point scored are x3 the normal base value) or does every possible mode track its high score uniquely (with what sounds like thousands of possible combinations)?

Are high scores/stats tracked at all, actually?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi LordGek,

Actually, my intention with Zen (this iteration of it, anyway) was to go completely away from being a competitive/beat-your-high-score type game and present the player with a more relaxed, quiet, challenge-yourself-to-find-stuff, game.

Each level does give a time and accuracy score, which is affected by the type of level and difficulty, but these two scores aren't carried over between levels. Each level also presents a "Zen Percentage" score, which does take into account recent levels played.

There are other modes I'm considering adding, one of which is an "Arcade" version where there would be normal scoring and high scores and such. It depends on how this "experiment" is received and what feedback I get from users.

Cheers!
07-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelFrog View Post
Hi LordGek,

Actually, my intention with Zen (this iteration of it, anyway) was to go completely away from being a competitive/beat-your-high-score type game and present the player with a more relaxed, quiet, challenge-yourself-to-find-stuff, game.

Each level does give a time and accuracy score, which is affected by the type of level and difficulty, but these two scores aren't carried over between levels. Each level also presents a "Zen Percentage" score, which does take into account recent levels played.

There are other modes I'm considering adding, one of which is an "Arcade" version where there would be normal scoring and high scores and such. It depends on how this "experiment" is received and what feedback I get from users.

Cheers!
While I really don't care about online leaderboards, I really like to know how I'm doing compared to my previous attempts at any given game (and I also have never been a big fan of combined career scores unless used to determine some sort of average score). A lot of games tracking any sort of stats love to throw in the classic, "3567 symbols have been cleared in your career so far" which just doesn't mean anything to me.

Crap, it says right in the description NO HIGH SCORES, sorry I missed that!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Interesting take on the genre, and good to see another Torontonian jumping into the fray. Got a number of great devs in Ontario here.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
While I really don't care about online leaderboards, I really like to know how I'm doing compared to my previous attempts at any given game
That's understandable, and I've long been aware (worried) that many people would miss having a scoring component. My hope is that the same fun people have with traditional paper and pencil search games would translate to the iPhone.

Of course, it would be foolish to ignore the possibilities that open up when putting a traditional-like game on the iPhone, so I'm completely open to making Zen better

If it's any consolation, technically, a game of Zen never ends as there really is no way to win or lose. Yes, depending on the person and their mood at the time, that can be either a good or a bad thing.
07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Interesting take on the genre, and good to see another Torontonian jumping into the fray. Got a number of great devs in Ontario here.
That's for sure! We should get spiffy uniforms so that people will know us on sight and give us the appropriate, "Oooh, look! A game developer!"