★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Sat. Convo: hyping up your game!!!!

02-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Sat. Convo: hyping up your game!!!!

I've seen some Hype man!!!!!!

Most of the time, it's way overdone, and rarely is it deserving. But when it is Deserving it can be a wonderful marriage of development/consumer relationship. However, as stated before most of these tales end in an embarrassing divorce by way of lame and shame.

As we are human of course it's easy to be subjective, But something tells me that there is a general consensus here in the forums regarding what is considered over-hype, under-hype, and "ooh this porridge is just right".

Now majority would rule that its the public themselves that create the hype but somehow I feel we aren't completely responsible. How ever we can't really blame are "in-game news" references either. So on the topic of good conversation what games do you think deserved the pre-hype that they got or didn't get.

Some suggestive Examples:

Rolando: Over-hyped????- to me yes.....but to most would tell you that it was up there, and after it's release you didn't hear much about it.

Payback: Over-hyped- This little doozie struck hype gold when it made a very brief appearance and then was pulled just hours after release due to technical issues, leaving over half of the waiting iGaming community salivating. I also remember contributing to a very long thread expressing my lust for the game. but like so many after it's release there wasn't much to really talk about. it was what it was and is what it is.

Need for Speed: Over-hyped????? LOL..... Ok yes games that aren't out yet are included, but if we're continuing with this whole little 3 Bears thing, then Need for Speed is neither too hot nor too cold....it's down right under cooked, but I really hope their making something special. however at this point of over-hypeness it's to late to turn back from dissapointment upon release.

Aqua Moto Racer: Under-hyped: yes there was a few pieces done on this very-well rounded console quality game, but not enough to compliment it's absolute completeness. This game has a large, and progressive career mode. Not to mention online time trial leader board, multiple tracks in three different landscapes that are extremely beautiful. The frames aren't the fastest but the are smooth and with out hiccups, not to mention there are jumps and tricks. I couldn't believe that the one thing people whined about was that there where no waves. even though the water reflection is psp quality. come on people, no waves???? theres way too much worse to be complaining about.

Zen Bound: MMMMMMM Now this Porridge is just right!!!
The hype around Zen Bound never exceeded that of what it is worth.
Pre-release and after it proves to be a complete game never boasting more than it offers. No app has been as successful while actually advertising that their app isn't for people looking for high octane. Instead the focal point was it's sheer calmness that of which did not take away for making a very pleasurable gaming experience.

So there is some examples, please weigh in with your thoughts and opinions.

The above opinions and suggestions don't reflect on the actual development, but such characteristics have an effect on the games and there received reaction and acceptance and or rejection based on general consensus before and after their releases.

Forum Search before posting:
Most hyped game
Most overhyped game
Overhyped games

As a side note:
I would like the search to be not so specific....
you have to type word for word (and case sensitive at that) to find a thread.

Last edited by RedStaR; 02-28-2009 at 10:52 AM.
02-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Send a message via MSN to Forerunnerz
Nice thread. Skimmed through it but I don't think that Zen Bound had a perfect amount of hype. FFS it had over 1200 replies before the game even hit the AppStore. Overhyped.

Currently playing: TouchKO, Castle of Magic, and Resident Evil 4.
Plus+ gamername: Forerunnerz

02-28-2009, 10:38 AM
payback is awesome! I just drained my battery completely while playing it last night.

I think the two best battery drainers are payback and warfare incorporated

Payback has unbelievable graphics and really in depth gameplay
02-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Games having a tendency to get over-hyped based on a few things:

1) devs coming onto TA to promote/code giveaways - (I've seen game buying frenzies evolved from within threads....nothing wrong w/ devs promoting his/her game by the way).

2) anticipation of game release - (if I'm waiting THIS long I know its going to be good mindset)

3) reviewers first based impressions within minutes of playing- (like Christmas morning when even the cheap toys look epic).

........so I've now taken a backseat approach to game buying. I will still listen to all reviews, video, etc. But am more aware of the possibility that hyped up games may not be all that they are and have a more 'seasoned' mind frame in my future game purchases.
As for under hyped games such as Aqua Moto Racer, there are people that will find a tiny imperfection on viewing a brand new car. Some do input helpful info to try to make it a better game but this game was definitely under hyped because of some review complaints of no waves and if this was never brought up I think a lot more people would have purchased an enjoyed the game..........(hey kid....don't get that nice big/inexpensive ice cream cone because, you know.......it would be A LOT better with sprinkles on it........)
Anyway....thats my opinion as asked.
02-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Well, it's not like the developers of Zen Bound could have helped it from being so hyped. Practically the last 10 or so pages of the thread were just people asking "IS IT OUT YET OMG?!?" There is nothing to blame but the jittery impatience of the consumer.

Games don't overhype people. People overhype people.
02-28-2009, 12:39 PM
I had Rolando lite, started to play it for awhile and then wondered why this game was hyped as the second coming. I quickly grew bored of it and deleted it. It's a cute game but not one of the best games for the ipod touch/iphone IMHO.
02-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I like this kind of discussion since I work in marketing. But in general, hype is a state of mind that varies from person to person. What you see as hype may not be hype at all to others, and strategic marketing has a lot to do with this. As mentioned, word of mouth, initial reviews, pre-released information all have something to do with creating a perception. That's why you see a combination of those methods above used because for some, getting a referral from a third-party source has more impact than say seeing an early screenshot. It's just an example, and what resonates varies.

In addition, many companies (not restricted to those who develop iTune apps) focus on the strengths of their product/service when doing this type of perception building. They're obviously not going to focus on their weaknesses and so if it's done properly, this new upcoming product/app sounds like the greatest thing since sliced bread. While I agree with the first post that Aqua Moto has been completely underhyped, others may disagree. Like I said, it goes back to state of mind and how focused those messages are. This also explains why so many products/apps don't actually live up to their perceived value.

On that note, companies with larger advertising dollars can plaster themselves all over the place if they wanted to touting how great their product is. But, if the product isn't really that great, consumers are what I think the great equalizer in bringing that hype back down to reality. This forum is an example of that, and you see it everytime a new release comes out through the forumn comments and the user feedback.
02-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩 View Post
I had Rolando lite, started to play it for awhile and then wondered why this game was hyped as the second coming. I quickly grew bored of it and deleted it. It's a cute game but not one of the best games for the ipod touch/iphone IMHO.
i agree with you on that one, i bought it when the price dropped and played it for about a day and havent picked it up again...

DinoSmash online id: *DoMbAv94* (stars included)
App reviewer on Appmania!
CarJack Streets Promo Code Giveaway!!!
02-28-2009, 01:03 PM
I've never seen a single game that lived up to its hype and by that I don't mean just iPhone games, I mean all games.
02-28-2009, 01:26 PM
underhyped: ancient frog

i really love this game: it has amazing graphics, an incredibly natural feel, very realistic, and a joy to play. it really deserves a lot more mention.

overhyped: all the tds (sorry to group them together, geodefence does seem good, but im talking creeps, fieldrunners, 7 cities etc.)

sure, they're fun. but really, they are the kind of stuff you see on internet flash game sites. they are nothing groundbreaking or creative, and not something really really special (a lot of people will disagree with this point)

overhyped: rolando

short, easy, dull

underhyped: bobby carrot forever

simply the best game for the iphone/ipod touch. fun, challenging without being frustrating, and something that really sticks with you. it is long, has great music, and is just a joy to play.

just right: zen bound, papijump (+), snail mail

they all are good games that are quite popular among iphone/ipod touch users and quite hyped. zen bound is very good, and is very hyped. papijump is very addicting, and that aspect is hyped. snail mail is very FUN, and that aspect got very hyped. all of these games deserve their popularity.

thats my take on some overhyped, underhyped, and just right games. there were a few repeats from the original post that i used again to show how much i agree that they are underhyped/overhyped/just right.