★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ****Get your voice in the game!****
Universal build coming soon! Upcoming update will allow you to play "The Squadron" on your iPhone or iPod Touch. Also adding ANOTHER new map and new units (and maybe even boss battles!). As part of this, we need voice recordings of when pilots enter the fight. We want your voice in the game! Go here: http://www.repfun.com/node/382 and submit your recording to be included!

****Reviews for The Squadron*****
"...high-octane action...one amazing casual gaming experience at an affordable price." -Appolicious

"The art style is very well done with extremely fine details in the jungle landscape...The Squadron is a well made game that creates a nice little twist on path drawing by kind of mixing it with castle defense. ..." -AppAdvice

***TOP SECRET***EYES ONLY*** PROJECT ANGRY GIANT***MARCH/15/1943***
"After extensive excavation of the device, we are still uncertain of its initial purpose and construction. Dig team has stated that although it looks to be Aztec in construction, the device pre-dates ancient American civilizations by several thousand years at least. It remains to be determined who or what could have built such a device.

One thing the team is certain of is that radiation readings in the lower levels are off the charts. Axis commanders, and their occult scientists are mounting an offensive to infiltrate and capture the device. They must be stopped at all costs. POTENTIAL GLOBAL CATASTROPHE. PROTECT THE DEVICE AT ALL COSTS!"

In The Squadron you control an elite World War II defensive force. Use your finger to trace the routes of your airplanes as they destroy enemy raiders on the ground! Prevent the axis fighters from invading The Device or the world will come to a mysterious end! Keep as many planes as you can in the air and watch out for the anti-aircraft guns on the ground!

goiMot's comments:

07-07-2010, 11:20 PM
This needs a gameplay video. I love line drawing games. It could be good.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic

07-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Here's a short promo video with some gameplay. We'll put up something longer tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ABz8srktM
07-08-2010, 05:42 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post
Here's a short promo video with some gameplay. We'll put up something longer tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ABz8srktM
Video embedded on the first post.
07-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Concept art and such

Thanks a ton to all of you who have already purchased the game and expressed interest! We have been climbing the charts and we really want this game to be great. If you have any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. My three friends and I put the game together. I did all the art for the game. Here's some artwork and such. I'm a huge game/comic/toy nerd. My inspiration for this came a lot from the old DC Blackhawk comics.
main screen sketch:

The sketch became this full color which I did in corel painter:

Here was my original piece for the game over, but I pulled it back a bit for the actual release. I didn't want it to be too dark for the tone of the rest of the game. Its still fun to look at though:

Here is my first attempt at the map when we were still exploring the concept. I think this still has some potential though. We may try something like this for a new map:

Thanks again for taking a look! I'd love to hear any feedback. We're always looking to improve our games.
07-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I've got to give you major props for the visual style of this game ! Your concept sketches are really good, and the finished versions are truly reminiscent of the BlackHawks comic. I really like the end graphic; rather than too dark, I think it's just humorous with a slight touch of the morbid, which is just my style!

I've been waiting on comments from the forum members about the game. I'm very tempted because I enjoy flying games a lot, and the whole concept is very interesting to me. I may just have to treat myself this weekend, and give this game a shot. It looks too good to miss.

Great job on the graphic stylings !!!
07-09-2010, 05:10 PM
The game looks great and proves one thing for sure:

SINISTAR LIVES!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Not that this game really is a copy, but it clearly makes a solid tip of the hat to this old classic which is only a cool thing!

I love how you take that identical opening image and turn it all radiated for the Game Over screen, classy.

I also hope to see that other map in an update as it looks so cool.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I had a lot of fun doing the art. The game is just a really simple concept. Its kinda like flight control in that you draw paths for the planes to follow, but totally un-like flight control in that they follow the paths to shoot up and bomb the enemies and prevent them from reaching the device.

We have a good idea for the free follow-up map that will be protecting this Atlantis type device while out at sea. I'm drawing up some sketches now. We're pretty excited for the good reception its been receiving. Currently #26 in games! Yeah! We want it to climb though, so if you play it and something bugs you, feel free to leave some comments.

-I didn't even think of Sinistar, haha, he does look similar though to the Aztec device.
07-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslide View Post
Thanks a lot guys! I had a lot of fun doing the art. The game is just a really simple concept. Its kinda like flight control in that you draw paths for the planes to follow, but totally un-like flight control in that they follow the paths to shoot up and bomb the enemies and prevent them from reaching the device.

We have a good idea for the free follow-up map that will be protecting this Atlantis type device while out at sea. I'm drawing up some sketches now. We're pretty excited for the good reception its been receiving. Currently #26 in games! Yeah! We want it to climb though, so if you play it and something bugs you, feel free to leave some comments.

-I didn't even think of Sinistar, haha, he does look similar though to the Aztec device.
Are all baddies limited to the roadways or can some go off road to make your job more difficult?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Right now we just have them limited to the roadways so that it is somewhat predictable and defendable. We tried a free-for-all early but it got too crazy too quickly.

However, in the new map we are working on, there is more chance for them to come in from various paths since it will be over water.