★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: 3D iPhone devs should look at Madworld to see how style can help your art.

02-28-2009, 11:16 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
3D iPhone devs should look at Madworld to see how style can help your art.

Especially on a technically deficient system like the iPhone, or the Wii.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Imagine something like THAT on the appstore instead of these poor 3d vector lameware.

(hell, even some 2D devs needs to start hiring artists with style. Imagine how iDracula would have turned out if instead of the highly detailed handdrawn look it was some crappy Flash renderings?)

Last edited by arta; 02-28-2009 at 11:28 AM.
02-28-2009, 11:22 AM
i agree. instead of trying to make it look like a console game and failing, do something stylish. black and white with little bits of color looks really cool.

02-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Totally agreed. I'm sick of seeing these feeble attempts at console graphics. Wouldn't you have a stylized, awesome looking game rather than a shitty looking boring clone of everything else but with pathetic, blocky graphics?

bear. iPhone Game Development Team RECRUITING!! http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=4957
02-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Send a message via MSN to Forerunnerz
Viewtiful Joe graphics.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Currently playing: TouchKO, Castle of Magic, and Resident Evil 4.
Plus+ gamername: Forerunnerz
02-28-2009, 11:33 AM
And don't forget okami.

bear. iPhone Game Development Team RECRUITING!! http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=4957
02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
or katamari damaci, kind of.
02-28-2009, 11:37 AM
its true that there does need to be better artwork in games we see on the app store but dont go dissing all of the retro stuff. i personally love vector tanks. and light riders has a very nice look and its a remake of an old retro game. im not saying we need a ton more retro titles, infact i dont think we do, but i dont think theres anything wrong with them if theyre nice and polished.

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
02-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM11 View Post
its true that there does need to be better artwork in games we see on the app store but dont go dissing all of the retro stuff. i personally love vector tanks. and light riders has a very nice look and its a remake of an old retro game. im not saying we need a ton more retro titles, infact i dont think we do, but i dont think theres anything wrong with them if theyre nice and polished.
personally i prefer the Quest's graphics to most other 3d games on the ipod that i've played. it just looks much nicer.
02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
Imagine something like THAT on the appstore instead of these poor 3d vector lameware.

Imagine how iDracula would have turned out if instead of the highly detailed handdrawn look it was some crappy Flash renderings?)
"Imagine...instead of"
"Imagine...instead of"
"Imagine...instead of"

Dear sir, as the developer of Vector Tanks I officially thumb my nose at you.

Love,
Peter Hirschberg
02-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
You recognize that the iPhone is "technically deficient" but you're assuming a rendering style like MadWorld is somehow easier or less demanding than classic textured 3D polygons (it's not, by a long shot).

The iPhone has a fixed function pipeline (for now at least) and although you can get creative and do some sorts of cell shading it would be a feat to do what MadWorld does. The end result might look simplified with only 3 colors and all but the rendering technology and art required to pull that off is deceivingly difficult.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube