★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Karate Champ XL

07-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Karate Champ XL

We were delighted to see the iPhone version of this classic was extremely well received by critics and gamers worldwide - featured by Apple and even included in TA's own list of must-have apps.

One thing we found interesting - a large number of people preferred playing the game on the iPad. We agree as the iPad gives you the closest thing to a handheld arcade unit we're gonna see for a long time.
Massive fun (more so with 2 players), but of course it'd be better if it was made for the iPads screen right?

And so we thought we'd better make a version that is designed for the iPad

Even though Karate Champ cant by any means be called an HD game we are doing some things that should bring it even closer to capturing the spirit of the original arcade machine. Hell we'd even argue maybe just maybe this version surpasses it

Karate Champ XL will come complete with the all the goodies found in the iPhone version : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=47883

But also complete with completely reworked graphics and a new split screen 2-Up tabletop mode.

When we say reworked graphics consider that the iPad is completely the wrong screen dimensions for this game, and so the classic backgrounds dont fill the screen Our solution, hand paint 8-bit style extensions to the left and right so that the backdrops show more of the Karate Champ world.

We've also gone back and hand crafted an entirely new HD arcade unit facia and sticks that complete the illusion of playing on a real machine.

Anyway, I could talk about the game for hours let's just say we feel comfortable saying it's never looked so fresh - even 26 years on.

Early Concept Image.

Actual iPad screencap (real scale cropped but otherwise unedited).

Oh and it is coming.. SOON!

Last edited by Revolutionary Concepts; 07-08-2010 at 03:42 AM.
07-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Forgot to mention we have reduced the price of the existing iPhone version to 99c and will likely keep it that way until the iPad version is ready.
Hopefully it'll help kill time till you can lay the smack down in tabletop arcade mode

07-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Dude, that tabletop multiplayer would rule!!! I can imagine me and my little cousin playing the hell out of my poor iPad. Can't wait can't wait!!!

Current Vice: GoF2HD, Bastion, PvZ, Dead Space iPad, FFDim, FFIV, WoGoo, Solomon's Keep, Hook Champ
07-16-2010, 07:16 AM
I usually won't buy a separate HD app when I already have the iPod/iPhone version, but here I'll probably make an exception. I can't believe you guys actually took the time to extend the 8 bit playfield graphics to fit the new aspect ratio instead of taking the easy way out with a bezel!

Have you considered producing traced or rendered versions of the original sprites for a true HD experience as part of an optional "modern" mode? I'm happy to play in the original retro mode, but introducing upscaled graphics might make the game more appealing to younger gamers. Just a thought - my four year old loves the game just as it is.
07-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary Concepts View Post
Forgot to mention we have reduced the price of the existing iPhone version to 99c and will likely keep it that way until the iPad version is ready.
Hopefully it'll help kill time till you can lay the smack down in tabletop arcade mode
Have you decided on a price for the iPad version? And any guess on release window?
07-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seyoon View Post
Dude, that tabletop multiplayer would rule!!! I can imagine me and my little cousin playing the hell out of my poor iPad. Can't wait can't wait!!!
Thanks man. Don't forget though that if you have KC for iPhone already you can install the one copy on your iPhone AND iPad and go at it head to head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
I usually won't buy a separate HD app when I already have the iPod/iPhone version, but here I'll probably make an exception. I can't believe you guys actually took the time to extend the 8 bit playfield graphics to fit the new aspect ratio instead of taking the easy way out with a bezel! Have you considered producing traced or rendered versions of the original sprites for a true HD experience as part of an optional "modern" mode? I'm happy to play in the original retro mode, but introducing upscaled graphics might make the game more appealing to younger gamers. Just a thought - my four year old loves the game just as it is.
Heya Stroffolino. Yeh we couldn't sleep at night if we disguised the different dimensions with some poxy bezel
Funny you mention the idea of up-rezzed players as we seriously looked at this, but ultimately we realized it was never going to be Tekken so rather than half-ass it we should stick with pure retro-goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClaff View Post
Have you decided on a price for the iPad version? And any guess on release window?
Only the 2Up split screen left to do now so hopefully you'll see something written up here and on the interwebs in the next fortnight. Not sure the price but we'll do our best

Last edited by Revolutionary Concepts; 07-16-2010 at 09:45 AM.
07-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I really want this...will pretty much pay what ever for it.

I own the iPhone version but I can't resist being able to beat someone down on the same iPad.

Last edited by BazookaTime; 07-16-2010 at 09:46 AM.
07-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Hmm so do we sell 100 copies at $1 a pop or sell 1 copy to Bazooka for $100? Decisions decisions hehe
Glad you are looking forward to mate.
07-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Cool, looking forward to it. And yes, I only play on the iPad already. Will this HD version be playable in vs. mode against the iPhone version?

Madgarden aka Paul Pridham -- Code, sound, pixels: Death Road to Canada, PUNCH QUEST with rocketcat games, EGGNOGG, Chillaxian, GlitchMachine, Saucelifter, Sword of Fargoal... and more stuff on the way.
madgarden.net -- saucelifter.com -- glitchmachine.com -- fargoal.com forums -- madgarden@twitter
07-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgarden View Post
Cool, looking forward to it. And yes, I only play on the iPad already. Will this HD version be playable in vs. mode against the iPhone version?
sure will (there will be an iPhone Ver1.1 update.
Love that Fargoal by the way - a must have if ever there was one.

Last edited by Revolutionary Concepts; 08-16-2010 at 02:58 AM.