★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Which Shmup is better?

07-08-2010, 03:26 AM
Which Shmup is better?

I have a 2nd gen Ipod Touch so I can't play Espgaluda II, and I was wondering out of these games which one is the best. If you have any better ones then gladly post those.
Super Laser
Assault Squadron
Icarus-X
Space Invaders Infinity

I don't want to get all of them cause most likely they are similar so I only need one or two. Also by best I mean most polished, easy controls, no lag.
And I like them to be difficult. As close to Espgaluda in difficulty.

Thanks very much

OF:MrLambChopz
07-08-2010, 04:21 AM
Icarus-X first
Space Invaders second

07-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Please, for the sake of my eyes, refrain from using the term 'shmup'

Games I have beta tested: Minigore, Cogs, Guerilla Bob, Above and Beyond: Air Combat, Baseball Superstars 2010, 33rd Division, Cash Machine, 5 star General, Flick Football... Possibly some other ones I;ve forgotten
07-08-2010, 04:45 AM
If you can only have one, I'd recommend Space Invaders, especially since there is a new big update about to come out for it. But it's very different than the others you named due mostly to the style of each game. I personally feel that Super Laser and Icarus-X are both great games as well, and I'd probably choose Infinity Gene and one of those two if you're really into the style of the game. They break down like this for me:

Most difficult: Icarus-X

Best graphical style/design: Infinity Gene

Best graphics if you prefer pixel detail to retro style: Super Laser

Best sound: Infinity Gene

Most precise controls: Icarus-X

Deepest: Infinity Gene

Most replay value: Infinity Gene

A few of these, such as the controls, are kind of difficult to judge, because they all work pretty well. I think that I have a little more fun with Super Laser than Icarus-X, because it's a pure arcade experience with a great variety of environments and enemies, but Icarus-X is more in the mold of a bullet-Hell shooter and is a lot more challenging for me. Infinity Gene and Super Laser, by the way, both have light versions and that's a great place to start.

My other favorites you might consider, (which also have lites) are Warblade and Tyrian. These have a lot of depth and strategy to them in comparison to those above. All fantastic games.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
07-08-2010, 04:51 AM
I am still a big fan of Buster Red!

nice GFX, tight controls!
But Superlaser is my most fav now.
then Buster Red
then Assault Squad.

cannot comment on Icarus X and Infintiy Gene

TouchArcade Patreon - GameCenter: dyscoder -
07-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks heaps for the deep reviews and opinions will decide which one to get. And sorry for saying shmup at above.

OF:MrLambChopz
07-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Indy View Post
Thanks heaps for the deep reviews and opinions will decide which one to get. And sorry for saying shmup at above.
Say whatever you like man, freedom of speech and all.

I'd say you should try the lite version of Super Laser, you may be surprised!
Also, I'm sure Buster Red is free, so be quick! (Don't hold me to that).

Invaders Must Die.

Last edited by sammysin; 07-08-2010 at 06:11 AM.
07-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Indy View Post
'Salright

I'd also reccommend getting Icarus-X first.

Games I have beta tested: Minigore, Cogs, Guerilla Bob, Above and Beyond: Air Combat, Baseball Superstars 2010, 33rd Division, Cash Machine, 5 star General, Flick Football... Possibly some other ones I;ve forgotten
07-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
My other favorites you might consider, (which also have lites) are Warblade and Tyrian.
+1! I bought both of these titles (and RottenCity) based on Media's recommendations. I don't have Icarus or Infinity Gene so I can only rate these two. Both are awesome shmups! (I think plural is shmoop) Try the lite. Thanks for steering me in the right direction, Media.

ıllıllı ȼǥɲƹƮȿƹ˅ƹɲ ıllıllı
DEVELOPERS I ADORE
CAT IN A BOX QUANTUM SHEEP CS54 ONE MINUTE GAMES ELEFTHERIOS CHRISTODOULATOS RAVENOUS GAMES ORANGE PIXEL RADIANGAMES CAVE LLAMASOFT (RIP) MADFINGER PASTA GAMES TOUCH FOO KODE80
07-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I second the Buster Red. Great game, stupid title name. I'll have to check out these other shooters.

Now Playing: OG, Wolfboy, Pix n Love Rush, Minigore, 45th Street, Qwak

OpenFeint: Dennis 01824; Plus+: RedsoxPatriots
Waiting for: Plunderland, A Skeleton Story, Wackylands Boss, Max Adventure