★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Si Design
  • Genre: Kids
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 15.2 MB
  • Version: 1.32
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Gerry the gerbil has his eye on some shiny balls!

In particular, Gerry loves shiny GOLD balls.

In order for Gerry to get his hands on some shiny gold balls, he must spin and roll across 50 levels contained within 5 rooms of Gerry's house!

Gerry's house is not just any house though! No, Gerry's house is very dangerous. It contains many traps and hazards that Gerry might bump into, but worst of all - Gerry might fall off the edge of a level, and SMASH his own ball into a million tiny pieces!

So what are you waiting for - hurry and help Gerry collect his shiny balls!

Game features:

* Amazing 3D graphics - push your iPhone and iPad to the max and see what it can do!
* 60fps - silky smooth gameplay!
* Full 3D ball physics - playing with a gerbil has never been so much fun!
* 50 levels - from the weird and wonderful to the twisted and tormenting!
* 5 stages - starting from the beautiful green garden and ending with the spooky...???
* 5 a-maze-ing levels - will you reach the end??
* 3 unique endings - play well and watch all three wonderful endings!
* 51 online high scores tables - are you the best in the world?
* 5 player profiles - all the family can play!

gerball's comments:
Avalable from today, only $.99 and supports the iPhone 4's retina display. Would love to hear your thoughts about it
07-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Detailed Info

OK, I'll give you some more detailed information about the game:

gerball is like Monkey Ball, but with much better controls, and more interesting levels. I spent a lot of time on the controls to get them just right - the tilting is far more precise than Monkey Ball, and works like Labyrinth - you keep the iPhone flat to keep the level flat (and the ball still), rather than keep the iPhone at an arbitrary, imprecise angle.

I've also added another control scheme, for when you want to play in bed, and can't keep it flat - this is the 'swipe' control method, and you just swipe your finger across the screen to tilt the level. This is my favoured control scheme - feels very instinctive and natural to control the ball. There's no fake analogue sticks or d-pads that you have to use.

I spent a lot of time designing the levels, and redesigned a lot of them many times over, over a period of years. I tried hard to get the 'flow' right in a lot of them - being able to complete them without stopping. The aim is to simply complete the levels as fast as possible, without falling off. If you manage to complete the level without falling off, you get a gold ball. If you fall off 2-4 times, you get a silver ball. If you fall off more than that, you get a bronze ball.

Getting gold and silver balls unlocks more levels. There's 60 levels altogether, so that's 1p per level! The levels are spread across six stages, the six stages being set in six different areas of a house - garden, garage, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and attic. The tenth level in every stage is a special maze level, where you have to beat the countdown - to access these special stages, you need to collect all nine gold balls for that stage.

The ultimate aim is to collect as many gold balls as possible. There's 60 altogether (one for each level), and there's three game endings to watch - one when you collect 20 gold balls, one when you collect 40 gold balls, and one when you collect all 60 (no-one has done this yet).

Other features include an online best times table for each level, as well as an overall high score table. There are also local high score tables, and local user profiles for up to five players, so you can compete with family and friends.

Finally a couple of other neat features worth noting is that you can play in either portrait or landscape mode, and the game features iOS 4 support so you can multitask the game with other apps.

I think that just about covers it. Incidentally the game started life many years ago when everybody was raving about Monkey Ball. I thought I could do a better version, so this is it. The game has evolved from PC, to Mac, to iPad, and now to iPhone, and has changed a lot during that time. I'm pretty proud of the iPad/iPhone version - it's the best of the lot, polished as much as possible, and now it's a case of wait and see to see how it does.

Hope that gives you a bit more of an idea about it Would love to hear any opinions about the game.

07-09-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm in for 1. I am not a super big monkey ball fan, although I like it, but anyone putting this much time, effort, and love into an app needs to be supported somehow.

Will post some impressions later..

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
07-09-2010, 05:08 PM
This looks super cute, I like Monkey Ball and this reminds me of it.

Invaders Must Die.
07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Added to my wishlist! Would love to see a gameplay video but this is looking rather sweet!

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!
07-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Would love to see a video! This looks cute and whole lot like super monkey ball which I like

Waiting for: Airborne Troopers, Mini Motor Racing. Minisquadron 2, Tweetland, Car Jack Streets 2, Drive Forever, Turf Geography Club, Junk Jack!!
Twitter: @nkatti
Proud Beta Tester of over 30 Games!
07-09-2010, 05:28 PM
So playing about 10 - 15 minutes and 7 levels -

I am using the swipe control, and agree that it feels natural and works well. There is a bit of a learning curve. Difficulty ramps up pretty quickly and falling off is pretty easy to accomplish. After the 1st level things become a bit more challenging, and level 3 will probably cause one to start falling off the edge.

Grpahics are nice. I am playing on the iPhone 4 and it looks quite nice. I do thing that the ball is a bit opaque, and the little Gerbil is frequently difficult to see. Ultimately it is about the ball, but I am sure that there is a little guy in there working his legs, and would like to be able to see that a bit more.

Camera seems to work well using the swipe controls.

Levels are very well designed, and I can tell a lot of time was spent designing, ramping up the difficulty while introducing new concepts.

Difficulty is not for the faint of heart - I am falling a lot - thank God for a restart button - otherwise I would not be unlocking things. Music is nice and catchy. Colors are great, and physics are implemented well.

I think that my only real complaint is that you have to back out to get to the next level. There should be a "Next Level" button when you complete a level, rather than having to back out to the main menu - but small complaints.

I think that this is well designed, fun, and very challenging. I'll keep playing and see what I come up against - my next concern may be that it becomes "too challenging" - but that is always subjective, and others may feel this is a breeze.

Good luck with the app!

07-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the impressions! Really tempted to check it out soon, but I still have Little Metal Ball Gold I have to beat!

Waiting for: Airborne Troopers, Mini Motor Racing. Minisquadron 2, Tweetland, Car Jack Streets 2, Drive Forever, Turf Geography Club, Junk Jack!!
07-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsterboi View Post
Thanks for the impressions! Really tempted to check it out soon, but I still have Little Metal Ball Gold I have to beat!
Personally I am liking this one better than Little Metal Ball... I had very little sense of control on that game, controls feel much better on Gerball to me...

07-09-2010, 06:51 PM
I didn't like Little Metal Ball in the beginning, but adjusted to it. Now I'm hooked. I'll probably end up getting this anyways though, just really want to see a video