★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Timed vs Not Timed Games

02-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Timed vs Not Timed Games

Of course I'll do the prerequisite formal apology if been posted (or in wrong area, etc) before but no find when searched. Also this might pertain to some other type of games as well and welcome to add to it. (revised my post to simplify it more, sorry if blunt)
This has been bugging me for months now so.....referring to mostly timed word games but can apply to others.
The games I'm referring to are timed. Granted their are games that have both options but the majority are timed and only after some persistent badgering from people (like me) that ask for an untimed option will devs have it installed on a later update. I like playing timed modes as that can make the game understandably, but would like a relaxed setting (not timed) as well for some other games that would suit them well. Just saying that wished devs would simply make this a standard option and think their games would appeal to more people (and as I said in a review) thereby increasing their value/purchasing of the game. I've played certain word games asking to find 30+ words (some can be 6+ words) within 2 minutes. Thats crazy........or overkill imo! All those wasted words I didn't get a chance to find. I feel like its such a waste of game play that still could be had if only for a not timed mode. Do these come back within another game? I dunno....(I'am but a humble/simple but valued gamer!) Does this shorten the replay value? Yes, I'm talking about even if their are thousands of word options available. Feels like I don't get a full gaming experience under a timed mode on some games.

Summary:Think if devs wanted to expand their scope in comsumer buying then a not timed mode would be a standard option within the game. Why isn't it?

I know the time mode makes for an exciting game play such as the recently beloved Word Fu. But STILL......is it much bother to add a relaxed setting to some types of games that could be beneficial to it and to the gamers as well?
This might fall under other types of games too and some might wish a few were not under a timed session. If so I'm listening (err....reading).
02-28-2009, 07:06 PM
I don't mind timed games depending on what type of game it is but I def do not like timed word games. It's the reason why I won't get Word Fu. I like to take my time and relax when it comes to a game like that.

On the other hand I play Brain Challenge. The challenges are timed which I don't mind because the challenges are fun for me mostly.

02-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Agreed Coldar

That's why Wordsworth is now great with both styles of play available - word game should all have both timed and time-free options

If no options then the default should be not timed as that's how a lot of word games are played and it makes them easier to dip in and out of
02-28-2009, 07:33 PM
As long as it makes sense, they should have both a timed and untimed mode available. There are some games where an untimed mode just doesn't make sense, because then there's no drive to complete your task. On the other hand, there are games where being timed makes you feel like you're missing out on something. Platform games are a perfect example of this. That's why I think Bounce On did a great job with their setup. There is a timer, and you get rewarded for beating the timer, but you can still finish the level without beating the timer. I think this is something that every developer needs to be conscious of.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
02-28-2009, 07:35 PM
I'd rather take my sweet time... i like how edge allows you to take your time, but also rewards you for speed!

I don't like timed puzzle games though, at least let me go at a leisurely pace if i want to!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
02-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by menom View Post
That's why Wordsworth is now great with both styles of play available - word game should all have both timed and time-free options
oh, what about Monster Typer? Is it a word game too?
02-28-2009, 07:43 PM
I designed a game titled RO to address both users.
It can be played at your leisure, stopped any time, and restarted where you left off.
Or you can try to beat your last time and number of moves.

But, we can only do this because of the nature of our puzzle design. Many games would not fit right in both camps.

Developer of RO
02-28-2009, 08:25 PM
I would like to see the option to have either timed or untimed. Generally, I avoid timed games but there are some games like Frenzic where a timed game is a must.
02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by donkei View Post
oh, what about Monster Typer? Is it a word game too?
keyword: "typer" It's a typing game.

Some word games need to be timed, otherwise, they'd just go on forever 'til you get bored. You can't know all the words. Word-Fu without a timer would be pointless.

I don't like timed games in general, though, unless they're fun and they get my adrenaline pumping. Getting X coins in X minutes really tics me off, though. Especially if the controls are fun. I like to mess around, sometimes.