★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Free Spider Solitaire HD

07-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Free Spider Solitaire HD

If you like Solitaire you'll love Free Spider Solitaire HD. It's got smooth animation, great graphics, works in any orientation on your iPad and is fun. Plus it's free! And you can even throw the cards.

Last edited by Sniderware; 07-11-2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Change URL to a bit.ly one
07-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Hmm...not sure how I feel about this game.

First, the good. The game looks great and plays great. Probably the nicest looking solitaire game around. I've not played an Eric Snider's Solitaire game before, so I was kind of impressed with the overall feel and presentation.

However, I think the bad and annoying parts of the free version are real turn-offs for me. First of all, there are ads. Lots of them. Before gameplay, during gameplay, after gameplay. And the ads during gameplay are fairly intrusive. If you play in landscape mode and have a long string of cards, the top cards in the pile extend down into the AdMob bar, so on more than one occasion, I hit the ad box instead of the card. Annoying, to say the least.

The free version of the game offers no challenge, either. It's Klondike Solitaire with two decks and only one suit. For those of us that have been playing solitaire forever, it is impossible to lose. There's no reason to play, other than to get feel for this version of the game.

Oh, and did I mention the ads? They are everywhere!

Anyway, by the time I was done with my first game I was too annoyed to continue playing. I think the devs are doing themselves a disservice with this app because the game is top quality, but the free version did not make me want to buy the full. It made me want to delete it as fast as possible. If you're going to have that many ads, they should really offer more incentive to play, more options, more game types.

I really hate ads in games. I usually avoid free versions at all costs, so my opinion is obviously tainted by my predisposition against ads. Don't get me wrong, the game is nice. I may still check out the full version at sometime, so definitely check it out for yourself, it's free after all.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

Thanks for all your great feedback. It sounds like ad-supported games probably aren't for you in general and specifically Free Spider Solitaire HD. As a player I try free games to see if I want to buy the full version. Sometimes there's a free game I love and keep playing, (e.g. Coin Dozer -- weirdly addicting and fun!) but usually I play 'em and either buy the full version or delete them.

Anyway, Spider Solitaire is not Klondike solitaire at all -- Klondike is a 1-deck game with a different layout and very different rules. With that said, I bet you would like the full version of Spider HD ($2.99). It includes 1-suit, 2-suit, 4-suit (VERY challenging and is a very strategic game -- my favorite) and Spiderette. It's ad-free and very nice I think.

I'm a small developer (it's usually me, my artist Andy Fitzsimon, and my sound guy Michael @ Magnetron Audio). I want my games to be fantastic, fun and easy to play. I'd love it if everyone who plays them enjoys them. In order to stay in business I have to make money and part of that comes from ad revenue and cross promotion* (~1/2 the ads in my free games promote the paid versions). I don't think I can succeed by giving away my free games with fewer ads or more features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Hmm...not sure how I feel about this game.

First, the good. The game looks great and plays great. Probably the nicest looking solitaire game around. I've not played an Eric Snider's Solitaire game before, so I was kind of impressed with the overall feel and presentation.

However, I think the bad and annoying parts of the free version are real turn-offs for me. First of all, there are ads. Lots of them. Before gameplay, during gameplay, after gameplay. And the ads during gameplay are fairly intrusive. If you play in landscape mode and have a long string of cards, the top cards in the pile extend down into the AdMob bar, so on more than one occasion, I hit the ad box instead of the card. Annoying, to say the least.

The free version of the game offers no challenge, either. It's Klondike Solitaire with two decks and only one suit. For those of us that have been playing solitaire forever, it is impossible to lose. There's no reason to play, other than to get feel for this version of the game.

Oh, and did I mention the ads? They are everywhere!

Anyway, by the time I was done with my first game I was too annoyed to continue playing. I think the devs are doing themselves a disservice with this app because the game is top quality, but the free version did not make me want to buy the full. It made me want to delete it as fast as possible. If you're going to have that many ads, they should really offer more incentive to play, more options, more game types.

I really hate ads in games. I usually avoid free versions at all costs, so my opinion is obviously tainted by my predisposition against ads. Don't get me wrong, the game is nice. I may still check out the full version at sometime, so definitely check it out for yourself, it's free after all.

Last edited by Sniderware; 07-19-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Fix the Spider HD URL