★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: SkylineBlade Submitted

03-01-2009, 03:49 AM
SkylineBlade Submitted

[App Store Link, $0.99]

Here are the latest screen shots and a video for version 1.0. We added some nice lightmapping as well as a per pixel spot light since the last shots we showed and I think it adds a great deal of depth to the scene. I would really like to step the graphics up even further by featuring better art but this is what the budget allowed for. While I can see room for improvement I think what we achieved compares quite favorably with the other 3D Helicopter Sims on the platform. The YouTube video shows off a bit of the gameplay but it came out terribly *grainy* after processing. I'll probably begin using Vimeo soon because YouTube's quality is so poor. Hopefully the game will be on sale by Tuesday as it was submitted late Thursday night/early Friday morning. Version 1.0 is $0.99 with a planned price hike coinciding with the first update.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by salsamd; 03-04-2009 at 05:39 PM.
03-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the screenshots and video. They look great, but what's the objective of the game? I saw the previous thread about enemy tanks and other vehicles. Are we simply destroying vehicles or is there an overall mission? Another to add to my watch list...

03-01-2009, 04:00 AM
I HOPE, it won't be jut another tech-demo instead of a game.
But I'm wishing you all my best.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..

Last edited by your personal robot; 03-01-2009 at 04:29 AM.
03-01-2009, 04:03 AM
Calibration button right on the main screen, interesting. ^ ^

Let's not be too harsh now before anyone even tries the game.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
03-01-2009, 04:21 AM
The overall goal is to complete your pilot training. Each training mission has a medal achievement to go with it so you compete for the gold times in those exercises. Then there's the battle mode which in version 1.0 has you engaged in combat with tanks. The goal of the battle mode is to survive as long as possible with limited ammo, armor, and fuel. You replenish those elements by hooking the tanks and "recycling" their scrap metal. This too awards a medal based on your survival time. There's a bit more past that which is a bit of fun and begins to further the story.

I really don't appreciate any cynical comments. We spent a lot of time working on this and nothing's perfect but we gave it our best shot. Throughout the last week I personally put in several 20 hour days to get this out and that was on top of a 2 month dev cycle. It wasn't easy so don't trivialize it.
03-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Status View Post
The overall goal is to complete your pilot training. Each training mission has a medal achievement to go with it so you compete for the gold times in those exercises. Then there's the battle mode which in version 1.0 has you engaged in combat with tanks. The goal of the battle mode is to survive as long as possible with limited ammo, armor, and fuel. You replenish those elements by hooking the tanks and "recycling" their scrap metal. This too awards a medal based on your survival time. There's a bit more past that which is a bit of fun and begins to further the story.

I really don't appreciate any cynical comments. We spent a lot of time working on this and nothing's perfect but we gave it our best shot. Throughout the last week I personally put in several 20 hour days to get this out and that was on top of a 2 month dev cycle. It wasn't easy so don't trivialize it.
Thanks for that. I hope you didn't think I was being cynical with my question. I work with devs everyday so I understand all the work that goes into developing applications.
03-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Hey Midnight Status ..love the look you guys have done for the game. The art assets don't have to blow us away when the colour and lighting style is done as good as it looks there. (You're right with the spotlight ..inspired effect. It adds a lot.)

Will definitely be interested to check it out. The rotors highly visible in the internal cockpit view is a nice touch, together with the sound. Might I suggest the sound be a little muffled when on the internal view? I'm thinking the rotors themselves would look great if a simple circular, pre-blurred rotating texture was used. Like Rockstar does with the GTA: Vice City helicopters. (And like they *don't* do on GTA: San Andreas ..and it annoys me, because pre-blurred textures smooth the rotor-motion so much) ..it was a trick done on the old Grand Prix Legends on the logo on the tyres when they start spinning too. Well, not something that *has* to be done. I know you guys are working hard already. I just like the idea.

..ah, this is the thing about forums. Just ignore the criticism of people if it isn't constructive. Plenty of people who don't know what hard work this stuff is are happy to tear it down with an acid comment that hasn't been thought through.

Last edited by TKO; 03-01-2009 at 05:06 AM.
03-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Wow, my 7 year old could have made that! It looks like' it's been cobbled together on one rainy afternoon! Is it from the guys that made Black shades?

(Midnight status red eyed and high on cafeine throws his ipod on which he was playing Zen Bound, trying to relax, at his computer screen). Sorry, your post seemed to beg for it!

Seriously, that looks very good (to me), is it based on Unity? Lighting and camera angles are very effective. Can you tell us a bit more about game structure? Number of missions/training levels, storyline, obviously it's a mix of neutralising targets and picking them up for scrap, to get an idea of shelf life?

Have kept away from other chopper games so far but this looks like it will be the one.
03-01-2009, 05:49 AM
The shelf life of this game will be a couple of hours for your average player to unlock everything and get all gold medals. There's training in maneuvers, targeting, and hooking or retrieving plus there's the battle mode and one further unlockable mission. So all total it's 5 missions, 4 of them will have some replay value due to the time tracking. With future updates I'd like to expand the current gameplay at the Skyline training facility but I'm also interested in taking the flight model which I think is the best part and create a large scale campaign.

The primary reason I've priced us under Hellfire and X-Plane Helicopter is because I feel those games offer more content. However, I think our game has a much more realistic flight model than Hellfire and a much more fun flight model than X-Plane Helicopter (although I actually think this feels more like a Helicopter at least psychologically). In addition X-Plane doesn't really have goals or action and we do as well as a story element (although it's somewhat light at this point).

I'll say this, it's a nice beginning for the game I really want to make. Years ago I did Aerial Antics which was based on my love of Pilotwings as a kid. I still think Pilotwings is the best game ever made. Read my response to this Gamasutra Quantum Leap question to find out why. Now, I always wanted to throw a little more into the mix and I don't know if that'll ever produce a better game but it'd be fun to try. Get more story into it, get more vehicles into it, more science fiction perhaps ... some area 51 type stuff. Anyway, I'm rambling but that's what Skyline wants to be.
03-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Why is everybody relesing games that are not complete? This is just question.
More people every day does relese the game and telling us that they will ad more later on.
If you ever want good reviews you shouldnt let it out untill you are proud of it.
Sorry about my bad english. Im from sweden.