★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

French apps?

07-12-2010, 09:20 PM
#1
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 243
Send a message via MSN to APP-MASTER-360 Send a message via Skype™ to APP-MASTER-360
French apps?

I'm learning French and as far as I know I am top of the class (I got an A in my report). Are there any apps that cost less than $10 that is good for learning French?

Plus+: striker281

Now playing: Chop Chop Runner, Doodle Jump, FIFA 10
07-12-2010, 09:30 PM
#2
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 840
Good French apps

For learning your verbs and for verb reference, there are two good apps: Conjugueur 2 and also Le Conjugueur by Bescherelle.
For dictionaries, I really like the French-English dictionary by Dixel. There is also the Dictionnaire app.

The best all-around French app, even though it is more than $ 10, is called Antidote. It contains many dictionaries, gives you locutions as well as single words, and also includes ten guides to the French language (grammar, syntax, etc.) If you plan to really pursue your French studies, that's the one to get.

For language learning, there is something called Petite Assistante, and many apps under the generic name French. Any app published by a reputable textbook company should be of great assistance to you. If you have a French teacher, ask for some recommendations.

I hope this is helpful.

Bon courage!

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !

07-13-2010, 03:00 AM
#3
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 243
Send a message via MSN to APP-MASTER-360 Send a message via Skype™ to APP-MASTER-360
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebecotr View Post
For learning your verbs and for verb reference, there are two good apps: Conjugueur 2 and also Le Conjugueur by Bescherelle.
For dictionaries, I really like the French-English dictionary by Dixel. There is also the Dictionnaire app.

The best all-around French app, even though it is more than $ 10, is called Antidote. It contains many dictionaries, gives you locutions as well as single words, and also includes ten guides to the French language (grammar, syntax, etc.) If you plan to really pursue your French studies, that's the one to get.

For language learning, there is something called Petite Assistante, and many apps under the generic name French. Any app published by a reputable textbook company should be of great assistance to you. If you have a French teacher, ask for some recommendations.

I hope this is helpful.

Bon courage!


Merci!

Plus+: striker281

Now playing: Chop Chop Runner, Doodle Jump, FIFA 10
07-14-2010, 11:24 AM
#4
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 45
Byki makes a very nice app.
07-14-2010, 11:51 AM
#5
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 237
Content de voir que tu veux apprendre une des langues les plus difficiles au monde!

Bonne chance!
07-14-2010, 11:55 AM
#6
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 756
"Are there any apps that cost less than $10 that is good for learning French?"

You should work on your english first (is should be are because earlier you used plural forms like Are and apps)

Anyway if you have a computer it might just be easier to find something on google which is free.

-Alex
07-14-2010, 12:06 PM
#7
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 377
Quote:
Content de voir que tu veux apprendre une des langues les plus difficiles au monde!
Are you french or a student of french, because I would say it is one of the easier languages to learn for anglophones.

Quote:
You should work on your english first (is should be are because earlier you used plural forms like Are and apps)
I competely disagree. One, he doesn't need to be strong in english to learn french, two, the process of learning a second language will only help him to greater understand his first.

Quote:
Anyway if you have a computer it might just be easier to find something on google which is free.
This is smart, but difficult to do. If you(the TC) are serious about lerning french, I suggest looking into an SRS, and downloading an SRS program such as Anki. Most information you will find on SRS(spaced repetition) will be on sites dedicated to people either learning Japanese or English sadly, but the method works for all languages.


These are some good sites to explain how SRS works, most are english or Japanese learners.
www.alljapaneseallthetime.com
http://www.xamuel.com/french-in-30-days/
http://www.antimoon.com/
http://forum.koohii.com/viewforum.php?id=5
http://www.supermemo.com/

Best: Above, Squareball, forget-me-not, 1-bit ninja, Heroes of Kalevala, Mirror's Edge, Rat on a Skateboard, Final Freeway

Last edited by Vinvy; 07-14-2010 at 12:19 PM.
07-14-2010, 01:08 PM
#8
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinvy View Post
Are you french or a student of french, because I would say it is one of the easier languages to learn for anglophones.
Really? French is more than 200 rules and for 198 of them there are exceptions. It's also numerous spelling for a same sound and many spelling with no sound.
07-14-2010, 01:13 PM
#9
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 840
Not quite, mon ami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qordobo View Post
Really? French is more than 200 rules and for 198 of them there are exceptions. It's also numerous spelling for a same sound and many spelling with no sound.
Actually, the spelling of sounds is much more consistent in French than it is in English, which is why English language learning is a frustrating experience for French speakers.

Guy

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !
07-14-2010, 01:41 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 377
Quote:
Really? French is more than 200 rules and for 198 of them there are exceptions. It's also numerous spelling for a same sound and many spelling with no sound
What do you mean 200 rules? Are you talking about verb conjugation? It really isn't so difficult, and most of the irregulars are used so often that you learn them quickly. And many languages have more complex conjugation. English conjugation is very very simple though, so this is a big step(but not so big). English phonetics are far more inconsistant and ridiculous, same with spelling. And I am hardly saying French is a simple language, or even easy to learn, but when compared to most others, for an Anglophone it is one of the easier ones to learn(along with maybe Dutch or Spanish).

Best: Above, Squareball, forget-me-not, 1-bit ninja, Heroes of Kalevala, Mirror's Edge, Rat on a Skateboard, Final Freeway

Last edited by Vinvy; 07-14-2010 at 01:45 PM.