★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Skotos Tech
  • Genre: Card
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 49.1 MB
  • Version: 1.60
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: High Society is a card-based auction game of great deals and careful brinkmanship based on the tabletop eurogame by Reiner Knizia.

Every player starts the game with the same amount of money to spend on luxuries and recognitions, but whoever spends the most money loses, no matter what they collected!

High Society is based on the same very successful MobileEuroCard gaming engine that was used in Reiner Knizia's Money, also produced by RPGnet. Simple gestures allow you to examine your own hand and the bids of your opponents. Everything is animated, for a colorful play experience.

Additionally, four different AIs, each with their own personality, help make every game unique. You can slowly discover the AIs' strategies to improve your chances of winning.

High Society is the second release in RPGnet's MobileEuroCard series. Once you know how to play one game, you'll understand the interface of all of them!

NOTE: This version of High Society uses Game Center for Leaderboards and Achievements, but does NOT yet include multiplayer play.
07-12-2010, 11:07 PM
I haven't played high society but I end up picking up all the knizia games so I might as well jump in now, haha.

EDIT: noticed it was from the devs of Reiner Knizia's Money and this game is built on the same game engine so I'm avoiding this one for now. Money consistently crashes when I try to save any changes to the options and has sluggish card handling (I'm on a 3GS). Unless Money gets an update so it stops crashing I won't be buying something that's a card swap based on the same engine

Last edited by VeganTnT; 07-13-2010 at 05:57 AM.

07-12-2010, 11:27 PM
After picking up Train Conductor a few minutes ago, I thought I was done for the night. Not so fast.

I have all of the Knizia games for the Iphone and I have really been waiting for High Society. Instabuy!
07-13-2010, 01:11 AM
this is one of my all time favorite games. Too bad it doesn't have like 5 players human on ipad version. Only 4 AIs and you. Anyway I own the game the card game and it's great. Many people don't like the "one with least money can't win" rule but I think it's brilliant as you must watch your bidding. Also randomness of Thief (steals lowest card), Tax evasion (lose 1/2x), or -5 ..ok they call them something else but names don't matter they are misfortune cards.
07-13-2010, 06:28 AM
I have every Reiner Knizia games on my iPhone, I will def get this one too.
07-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
this is one of my all time favorite games. Too bad it doesn't have like 5 players human on ipad version. Only 4 AIs and you. Anyway I own the game the card game and it's great. Many people don't like the "one with least money can't win" rule but I think it's brilliant as you must watch your bidding. Also randomness of Thief (steals lowest card), Tax evasion (lose 1/2x), or -5 ..ok they call them something else but names don't matter they are misfortune cards.
So, only one human player can play in a game?
07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I have a Knizia folder already. This is an easy add to that.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime;
So, only one human player can play in a game?
correct. I wish they allowed Bluetooth and or wifi for additional human players. Or even pass and play support as only thing hidden is players money. Hopefully if enough clamor for it Shannon might include it. Obviously as it is now it is super cheap and wants you to get the $20 real life version but still do an in app purchase if necessary for a few more bucks to enable human player support as I won't always have my High Society cards on me.
07-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
Unless Money gets an update so it stops crashing I won't be buying something that's a card swap based on the same engine
That was a bug that only showed up with the release of iOS4 (e.g., three weeks ago) ... and it got unfortunately neglected because of the push for High Society's release.

In any case, the fix is in. A new version of Money (1.20) was submitted to Apple on Monday. Hopefully it'll be available any time now.

I suggest you tune up the speed for improved handling once you can edit the Options properly. I usually run mine at 'Very Fast'.

Speaking of bugs, there's an unfortunate bug with High Society and iPhoneOS 3.1.3. The fix for that is in too, and will probably trail the Money release by a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
correct. I wish they allowed Bluetooth and or wifi for additional human players. Or even pass and play support as only thing hidden is players money. Hopefully if enough clamor for it Shannon might include it. Obviously as it is now it is super cheap and wants you to get the $20 real life version but still do an in app purchase if necessary for a few more bucks to enable human player support as I won't always have my High Society cards on me.
We're waiting for the release of some upcoming Apple functionality having to do with game selection before we decide exactly what to do there. I expect we'll get the functionality in when we release something in the future, just like we got score pages in as part of the High Society release.

(They're in that upcoming Money release too.)
07-14-2010, 03:30 AM
I find myself constantly throughout the game having to check on the AIs scores. Usually playing in real life their luxury (fame) cards always face up so easy to keep track of. Perhaps an option to always display their scores would help people out.

I heard about Kingdoms ...and Modern Art..wow that's awesome. Please let both of those have hot seats if possible. I own Modern Art but not Kingdoms although I've played it. Currently Kachina app is kinda close to Kingdoms but not quite.