Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

3/4 on STP.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Not having the iPhone version I didn't mind paying the price, so far I've really enjoyed it and can see myself getting $5 worth of fun out of it. Great work guys!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 AM

I'm a bit disappointed: graphics are not as crisp as they should for an HD version.

The iPhone version looks quite similar on the iPad.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:04 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlonde View Post
I'm a bit disappointed: graphics are not as crisp as they should for an HD version.

The iPhone version looks quite similar on the iPad.
i love it
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I don't usually say too much about price, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on this because of the $5 price tag. I love the iPhone version. I've patiently waited for the iPad version. I even skipped Veggie Samurai in favor of the eventual HD release of Fruit Ninja. I think I may grab Defense of the Oasis now and wait for the inevitable price drop. But, seriously, I love me some new iPad apps, so its really killing me.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
I don't usually say too much about price, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on this because of the $5 price tag. I love the iPhone version. I've patiently waited for the iPad version. I even skipped Veggie Samurai in favor of the eventual HD release of Fruit Ninja. I think I may grab Defense of the Oasis now and wait for the inevitable price drop. But, seriously, I love me some new iPad apps, so its really killing me.
Fruit Ninja look fine in 2x mode. There's no reason to purchase unless you want the multiplayer.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2spoon View Post
Fruit Ninja look fine in 2x mode. There's no reason to purchase unless you want the multiplayer.
I own both the iPhone and the iPad version and I pretty much agree with you. I really wanted the multiplayer but if that is not something you want, the iPhone version is all you really need.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Could someone who owns both Fruit Ninja and Fruit Ninja HD take a screenshot of each (iPhone version in 2x) and post here? I'm interested in the game but find it disheartening to hear that the HD graphics aren't much improved over the 2x mode.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
I own both the iPhone and the iPad version and I pretty much agree with you. I really wanted the multiplayer but if that is not something you want, the iPhone version is all you really need.
Yep. And with the higher price for something that plays with lesser framerate, I'm happy with the iPhone ver. with identical appearance.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all your kind words about Fruit Ninja HD, and the not so kind words I definitely owe it to you guys to explain a few things that are happening on our end regarding the launch and the price. Many of you know me well and I'm happy to answer any questions and be honest about our situation.

I simply never released the price because I sent it out as part of the official announcement press release which needs careful timing. That's just basic PR/marketing strategy and it worked really well for us, we had a lot of exposure and everyone is excited for the game.

Regarding the $4.99 price - the iPhone market is different to iPad. 6 out of 10 top paid apps on iPad are $4.99 or above, it's a standard amount at this stage of the iPad life cycle. I personally feel that it's $5 and absolutely worth it, that's like the price of a Starbucks coffee. I guess the thing that Apple developers have to deal with is that consumers expect huge amount of content for $1, and when it's higher than that for a higher end device with more features, $5 seems completely outrageous - even though, in real terms, it's still just 5 bucks. I mean, I certainly think Fruit Ninja is worth more than just one dollar - that's an inconcievably small amount of money. I don't believe the perception will change at all, but we have to make monetary decisions which affect whether we can afford to keep making games, and this time choosing $4.99 for a game which took longer to make and has more features was a decision we are happy with.

Also, please understand that iPad development is not the same as iPhone. We have a full time team working on Fruit Ninja and its various versions. We need to consider, develop for and test on every single device, different firmwares, different OS, different everything. After that, Apple released iPhone 4 and OS4 in a very short amount of time, so we have to make sure we change the game, re-test on every single iteration with every build and every minor update - which then has to spend a week in the Apple review process. I wish it were as simple as just releasing a new swipe or new background with 2 hours of work, but it's not. It personally makes my job a lot harder working with the tech side of things - if it were up to me, we'd have a swipe and background update every two days!

And that's just for iPhone! Moving onto the iPad, we have to do everything all over again, except bigger and more difficult. Keep in mind that Fruit Ninja HD will have the same support as Fruit Ninja with new content and additions.

On top of all of that, we've added new content to the HD version which isn't possible on iPhone. Multiplayer adds a whole new layer of depth to the game that, once again, needs new art, new code, new testing, new everything for each update. Many HD versions of games simply ship out the original with no changes at all, and apprently many comments around the place seem to suggest we have done the exact same thing, which simply isn't the case.

And on top of THAT - the iPad market isn't nearly as big as the iPhone market. So in essence, we would be doing more a lot more work for less money, so to help ease that we set the price at a standard iPad rate.

I know many of you aren't interested in our inner workings and development situation and that's totally fine. I'm just trying to explain the genuine scenario that we work with, and it's part of being a developer. We're not at all trying to rip anyone off, we're trying to get by as a development studio by making logical decisions as a company - many of which are extremely tough to amke in order to please everyone. None of us are millionaires, Fruit Ninja didn't come from a 2 man team or anything, we're just hoping that our players out there will like our games and support us for $5!

If you're still not interested that's completely fine, Fruit Ninja on iPhone is still our baby and we will be supporting it as per usual. This isn't a "new game gets all the limelight and love" situation, we're here to make our games the best they can be.

Last edited by HalfbrickPhil; 07-15-2010 at 07:32 PM..