★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What is an "indie" developer?

07-14-2010, 05:08 PM
What is an "indie" developer?

Title says all...
07-14-2010, 05:10 PM
A developer that is independent and typically doesn't have a publisher (i.e - the develop and publish the game themselves). They are usually small teams of devs too.

Hakuna Matata

07-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Yep, independent!

Invaders Must Die.
07-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Oh.. ok i thought it was like a developer from the indies or something
07-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osujxu View Post
Hahaha! For all we know, it may be that. :O

Invaders Must Die.
07-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osujxu View Post
I thought Indie was a company :P

Plus+: striker281

Now playing: Chop Chop Runner, Doodle Jump, FIFA 10
07-15-2010, 07:41 AM
been discussed many times.

here's Frand's (secret exit) response from before

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...20&postcount=5

Quote:
An indie studio:
- Supports itself fully by selling games (and burns personal savings during tough times)
- Owns the IP of the games they make
- Is fully owned by the employees (no VC funding)

There are many independently owned studios, but if they do work-for-hire projects and are dependent on publishers for their wages, obviously the term "independent" does not apply.

Having a publisher partner who takes the indie games to retail or to consoles does not take away their indie status. World of Goo is an indie game from indie guys, despite having Brighter Minds publish the game in PC retail.

All of the above definitions are flexible to an extent. Some indie studios do both their own games and work-for-hire projects.
07-15-2010, 07:50 AM
So I guess you thought Indie music was all from The Indies too?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
07-15-2010, 12:20 PM
The way I look at it is if you have creative control, and you're not owned by another company, then you're indie. Something like that.

The key thing is creative control. To me, a company like Valve could almost even be considered indie, despite the fact that they're relatively huge.

Also, I believe "indieness" is a sliding scale and not on or off, so one company can be more indie than another one. The fewer the number of people who work at your company also makes it more indie, etc.

If you're making games based on some else's IP and you're basically just a production shop, that's not indie. If you're just making rip-off games like Doodle Jumper, that's not indie either.

I made Trainyard and Disco Zoo. You might like them!

@MattRix | @Trainyard | @Milkbag

Last edited by ElectricGrandpa; 07-15-2010 at 12:47 PM.
07-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
A developer that is independent and typically doesn't have a publisher (i.e - the develop and publish the game themselves). They are usually small teams of devs too.
Actually independent studios often do go thru a publisher, there just not publisher owned... For instance Sumo Digital are an independant developer, but they are funded and publish games through a bunch of publishers (Sega, EA etc).

Although yeah "indies" are typically considered small self-publishing development houses, while "independant developers" are considered larger...

Assyria Game Studio -(For Business Enquieries Click Here)

Get normally paid games for FREE at DailyAppDream.com - If any developers want to run a free promo on any of their games then check out the site (it's free)