★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Promo Discounts

03-01-2009, 02:23 PM
#1
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,103
Promo Discounts

sorry this thread isn't a promo giveaway, but does anyone like the idea of being able to offer promo discounts? for instance, zen bound is 4.99, i think it would be a great idea to be able to post promo codes on a website like this that would allow people to buy it for 1.99 or something of that nature. then you could give out a lot more codes and people who are really dedicated to playing games and such could get more games and leave good reviews. just an idea i sort of cooked up
03-01-2009, 02:24 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,866
At this point in time, this is not possible.

Giving refunds is not possible either.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

03-01-2009, 02:27 PM
#3
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
It's not a bad idea though because you would definitely weed out those who are in it just for free promos and those who actually want the game. Also, it would be another sales tool in addition to the current stripped down lite versions.
03-01-2009, 02:27 PM
#4
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
It's not a bad idea though because you would definitely weed out those who are in it just for free promos and those who actually want the game. Also, it would be another sales tool in addition to the current stripped down lite versions.
Yeah this actually isn't a bad idea.
03-01-2009, 02:28 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,103
ya i know it isnt possible, but maybe in the future if apple would ever think of it
03-01-2009, 02:30 PM
#6
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,866
It's been brought up in the past.

Seeing how Apple hasn't even made the move to make Promo codes work outside the US, I don't see much hope for this.

It would be nice though and would encourage higher prices in the AppStore.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
03-01-2009, 03:13 PM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by turakm View Post
but does anyone like the idea of being able to offer promo discounts? for instance, zen bound is 4.99, i think it would be a great idea to be able to post promo codes on a website like this
No, bad idea.
If the codes are in one place then you will get the same people getting the codes, the same people asking for codes, the same people telling devs they really need to get to that website and post codes.

"Hey, I really want game X and I've only got $2"
"Well go tell the dev that if he gives you a promo code for his $9.99 app then you'll give him a really great review."

IF this type of scheme were to happen then a central place for them would be bad. That said someone would create a thread here to notify people of which devs were offering what. At which point people post back to the forum here with a "Well I got the code and only paid 1.99 and played the game and it was crap and just useless and I want a refund it isn't worth anything"

And even if this were to happen others would say "If you offered a promo code AND made the price .99 then I'll give you a good review" or free even. Cheap.

Fact is devs here must surely have realised that giving out codes does not get you reviews. I've seen lots of promo codes given out for a game which has had no reviews. So giving away for less? Why?
03-01-2009, 03:20 PM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,509
This system would only make promo code giveaways more complex and annoying.

And really, the games are never over $10, and there are almost always price drops. Promo discount codes are just overkill.
03-01-2009, 03:37 PM
#9
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 467
You're only posting this because you want a way to get apps cheaper because you don't want to spend 1/10th of the price of a console game on an ipod game.

It's so easy to see through people like you. I saw a post on a pre release game saying, "I think it would be a really good marketing strategy if you had a 99c intro price", so blatant that they just want it for less...
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
#10
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ntom4 View Post
You're only posting this because you want a way to get apps cheaper because you don't want to spend 1/10th of the price of a console game on an ipod game.

It's so easy to see through people like you. I saw a post on a pre release game saying, "I think it would be a really good marketing strategy if you had a 99c intro price", so blatant that they just want it for less...
Wow, if that's true, that's too bad. I have no idea if this is true, but I'm just saying.

Fundamentally in regards to the idea itself, it's not a bad one because it's similar to using coupons at the supermarket. Obviously, the reviews aspect somewhat complicates the application of this to the iTunes store. On one point, I'm pretty clear...many of the apps in the store are way underpriced. I think too many of us are living in an iTunes fantasy world.

Last edited by Big Albie; 03-01-2009 at 03:46 PM.