★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Gemmed! Update - Caged Monsters, Ice, Rocks and Action-y!

03-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Gemmed! Update - Caged Monsters, Ice, Rocks and Action-y!

Update 1.4 is very close to being submitted! We took some time to enhance the game experience quite a bit.

This update will include the obstacles we have been talking about. Now the monsters can be caged, gems can be captured in blocks of ice, rocks can be inserted in the board (black monster likes to put them on each exit), and then slime can spread across the whole board! (not shown in the screenshot). The use of power-ups becomes much more strategic and important.

All of these obstacles will be generated as you progress through the game, making it more and more challenging along the way.

We also introduced a time penalty, based on the feedback we received from everyone. Further in the game, every minute that goes by will create obstacles on the board. The number of obstacles will get more challenging as more time passes by. This helps create some tension and an action-y feel as it makes the time much more important. It also helps alleviate players from "diamond mining" - playing one level "forever" in order to rack up the points. We have seen some crazy scores on the score board.

In addition to the obstacles, we also expanded the high scores view. Now you can see daily, weekly, and monthly high scores in addition to local and all time high scores. The UI has been altered slightly to accommodate for that - see the screenshot.

We have tackled several bugs that occurred on certain situations. Any empty cells or locked gems should not happen anymore. Let us know if you experience anything like that after the update.

Also, YAY for ipod listeners! Now you can listen to your own music while playing Gemmed!

And of course we have new trophies as well.

I will let you guys know when the update is submitted. We really like this update. It has brought the game to a whole new level - more action and fun! We still have a bunch of cool ideas to add to Gemmed! - it will soon be the most NOT MATCH-3 match-3 game ever!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017[1].PNG
Views:	11
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019[1].PNG
Views:	5
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1442  
03-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuN View Post
Update 1.4 is very close to being submitted! We took some time to enhance the game experience quite a bit.

This update will include the obstacles we have been talking about. Now the monsters can be caged, gems can be captured in blocks of ice, rocks can be inserted in the board (black monster likes to put them on each exit), and then slime can spread across the whole board! (not shown in the screenshot). The use of power-ups becomes much more strategic and important.

All of these obstacles will be generated as you progress through the game, making it more and more challenging along the way.

We also introduced a time penalty, based on the feedback we received from everyone. Further in the game, every minute that goes by will create obstacles on the board. The number of obstacles will get more challenging as more time passes by. This helps create some tension and an action-y feel as it makes the time much more important. It also helps alleviate players from "diamond mining" - playing one level "forever" in order to rack up the points. We have seen some crazy scores on the score board.

In addition to the obstacles, we also expanded the high scores view. Now you can see daily, weekly, and monthly high scores in addition to local and all time high scores. The UI has been altered slightly to accommodate for that - see the screenshot.

We have tackled several bugs that occurred on certain situations. Any empty cells or locked gems should not happen anymore. Let us know if you experience anything like that after the update.

Also, YAY for ipod listeners! Now you can listen to your own music while playing Gemmed!

And of course we have new trophies as well.

I will let you guys know when the update is submitted. We really like this update. It has brought the game to a whole new level - more action and fun! We still have a bunch of cool ideas to add to Gemmed! - it will soon be the most NOT MATCH-3 match-3 game ever!
Haha, looks really nice good job

Is there a lite version so I can try it out before I buy?

03-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the update. Gemmed is one of my favorite games, and the monsters add a nice twist to everything. The additional trophies will be a nice addition.
03-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monopoly View Post

Yep, there's a lite version which gives you a taste of the various levels. It's actually what hooked me into getting the full version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monopoly View Post

Yes! Gemmed! Lite is available in the AppStore. We still have to figure out which obstacles/features we want in the lite version.
Aw, how sad.. the monsters are locked in cages.

Update
Any chance of having a "Kiddie mode" without the obstacles? It doesn't have to have a leader board. My niece loves playing this game and saving the monsters, but I feel the obstacles may make the game a little too hard or frustrating for her.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

Last edited by Donburns99; 03-01-2009 at 03:58 PM.
03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
Aw, how sad.. the monsters are locked in cages.
Yeah...sometimes they get caged when they are eating gems on the way to their exits, too..or dancing...it feels good to break the cages
03-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
Any chance of having a "Kiddie mode" without the obstacles? It doesn't have to have a leader board.
Nice suggestion - "kiddie mode" sounds great! With this update, our goal was to make the game more challenging as you progress - oh btw we added 25 more levels. However in a future update we plan on creating difficulty levels when we add different game play modes.
03-01-2009, 04:16 PM
For a person who doesn't care about global high scores and likes more relaxing untimed games, how will the addition of the timer really affect gameplay? Is there an option to turn off the timer effect? I already have this game, and while it's nice to see all these enhancements, I'm not sure I like the idea of making gameplay more "urgent".
03-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
For a person who doesn't care about global high scores and likes more relaxing untimed games, how will the addition of the timer really affect gameplay? Is there an option to turn off the timer effect? I already have this game, and while it's nice to see all these enhancements, I'm not sure I like the idea of making gameplay more "urgent".
I agree totally. I am not a fan of timed games so an option to turn off the timer effect would be welcome to me as well.

I downloaded Gemmed Lite and I can't wait to check it out on the advice of one of the Senior members here.