★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: SET Pro HD is specially designed to exploit the iPads multi-touch, multi-player functionality to enable you to enjoy the most awarded visual perception game in history. The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) says "So, what's better about Set Pro HD than either the earlier Set app or a deck of Set cards. Well, pretty much everything.....". See http://www.tuaw.com/2010/08/13/app-review-set-pro-hd/.

The SET game has won over 35 Best Game Awards. SET Pro HD enables you to find SETs at the speed of your brain. Using two hands you have the same speed advantage as you do in typing or playing the piano. The sense of a really fast player is, in fact, that of a piano player (see the YouTube demo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eo_kY__glY boy does this guy have good brain connections!). The SET game is also enjoyed when played with others. In multi-player game play there are no turns in the game. Up to four people can simultaneously play all using both hands. SET Pro HD removes all previous electronic limitations in all of its play modes, making this realization of the Set game a joy to play.

To find a SET you must recognize three cards on the gameboard of 12 cards in which each of the features, examined independently, are either the same on the 3 cards OR different on the 3 cards. Thats it. One rule. It is deceptively simple. Thus, its easy to learn. A 6 year old can do it. But its a challenge for life, and mastering it challenges college students and their professors. The game has two levels Basic and Advanced. All players, regardless of age need to learn using the Basic level. Once you get the idea down, move to the Advanced level where you will experience the depth and richness of the mental challenge of SET. The Advanced level is the complete SET game. Of course, since SET is a game for all ages, younger players may take longer to be able to play the full game. Basic level has 3 features that anyone can master. Advanced level has four features, which is a challenge for all.

When you want a challenge for just yourself, SET Pro HD includes 6 solitaire game modes, Classical SET, Rediscovery SET, Sprint SET, Marathon SET, Puzzle SET, and Arcade SET. In Classical SET play, SET Pro HD challenges you to get through the deck in the shortest time finding SETs. In Rediscovery SET you try to get 25 SETs in the shortest time, with the cards either being rearranged, or, with 3 cards randomly replaced every 10 seconds if you dont find a SET. In Sprint SET you are challenged to get the most SETs in 60 or 90 seconds. You never run out of cards. In Marathon SET you must pace yourself to get the best scores. Puzzle SET challenges you to find 4 or 6 SETs in a fixed gameboard of cards. Arcade SET paces you as you play requiring you to find SETs faster and faster until you cry uncle. In all game modes you can play either Basic or Advanced Level.

In multiplayer mode, players tap their scorecards to take control of the board, and then tap-in their SET, or, after tapping they can swipe their scorecard (or tap the NO-SET icon) to gain additional points if they perceive that a NO-SET situation exists. A point is lost if 3 cards are selected that dont make a SET, or if a player doesnt tap the cards within the time limit.

For beginners, there is an interactive Tutorial, and Hints are provided in all the game modes. Players can choose to play in teams. Your scores can be kept in the STATS if you choose, and in STATS ALL your best scores and those of all your friends are ranked if players want to see their rankings.

Additional help and Tutorials are provided on the website http://www.setgame.com

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

07-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Looks cool but I have never played this. Would love to read some impressions due to the price. I will grab this if it is good.

07-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Looks interesting would love to hear some impressions.

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!
07-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd definitely get this I got the official iphone version think it was $3 or $4 but gonna wait for it to drop to $5. There are about (or at least there were) seven or eight clones of SET on the appstore till they finally released an iphone version.

If you wish to play a free version try Troika (free)

What makes this iPad worthy is multiplayer aspect. Still though I'm waiting for Jungle Speed (it's on the Wii) to be released on iPad....bloody knuckles dripping blood on ipad screen that's what I'm waiting for.
07-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
I'd definitely get this I got the official iphone version think it was $3 or $4 but gonna wait for it to drop to $5. There are about (or at least there were) seven or eight clones of SET on the appstore till they finally released an iphone version.

If you wish to play a free version try Troika (free)

What makes this iPad worthy is multiplayer aspect. Still though I'm waiting for Jungle Speed (it's on the Wii) to be released on iPad....bloody knuckles dripping blood on ipad screen that's what I'm waiting for.

Yes, Jungle Speed on the Wii is fantastic. I bought the actual game after playing the wiiware version so much.
07-17-2010, 03:21 PM
This is still a decent little card game by today's standards, but the general rules and symbol set of classic Set are way too basic to offer most any challenge beyond improving speed, which players developed over many years of practice since Set was first released (i.e. in the same way that the best dual-n-back exercises evolved to 3- and 4- n-back; memory match to 3 or more cards per match, etc); others (such as the people who introduced Set to me) began to yawn and look for similar games with added dimension. Classic Set lacks the type of novel patterns necessary to graze g, let alone reach and develop it beyond a rudimentary level. What you see in the video is essentially a rote exercise in which the person simply recognizes sets previously encountered thousands of times over years

I think it's current overpriced at $8; you're essentially paying for the brand and nostalgia for the basic symbol set. I'll wait for the ipad version to come down to about $4 before buying, although the multiplayer mode makes it a little more enticing.

Last edited by Grubjelly; 07-17-2010 at 03:23 PM.
12-16-2011, 04:48 AM
It's now on sale for EUR 2.99/USD 3.99. I picked it up and like it. The interface is a bit weird, IMO, it's somewhat like they had a Windows program and ported that to IOS. But you don't notice that in game at all, and that works very well. There were some minor quirks like when you finish a game you get a simple "game over" popup, instead of something more enthusiastic like "you won!". A nice touch is that there are lots of achievements (all of them of the "find x sets within y seconds on z difficulty" variety).

There are 6 different types of games in the single player mode (puzzle, 90 second time trial, 300 second time trial, regular and a Rediscovery and Arcade mode that I haven't tried yet). In the multiplayer you choose whether you want to go to 15, 25 or 50 points. Each game can be played in either basic or advanced difficulty. The basic difficulty removes the different background shades, so you only have colors and shapes. It is ridulously easy for people who played the game before, but I really loved playing that with my 8 year old. The 2 player multiplayer worked well, and we also enjoyed solving the puzzle mode together. The advanced difficulty is the standard difficulty, with shades, shapes and colors.

All in all, if you like Set (If you haven't played the game before you can try out the Set Puzzle at setgame.com) this iPad version is easy to recommend, especially at this price point.