★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: FOR IPHONE4 AND IPOD4 WITH RETINA DISPLAY ONLY, this is the most compact and powerful X-Plane we have ever created. We have combined the airplanes from X-Plane Racing, Airliner, Extreme, Helicopter, Glider, and more from the iPod, iPhone, and iPad into ONE app. X-Plane HDEF-4G has all the resolution and power and graphics of the iPad compressed onto the 4. This, coupled with the code being optimized for the iphone 4 processor and graphics, results in a more tightly detailed and hi-speed app than we have ever seen for any mobile platform... ever.

With aircraft carriers, air combat, F-22, B-1, B-2, X-15, SR-71, A-380, Boeing 787, and countless more airplanes all represented with accurate flight dynamics, and over a dozen flying areas, and near-infinite weather conditions available, the power of this app is simply mind-boggling.

LBG's comments:

Looks just like X-Plane 9 for iPad (with all aircraft, cockpit view and 3D airports).
But sadly I can't play it as I don't have my iPhone 4 yet. Anyone bought it? If so, what's it like?
07-16-2010, 01:18 PM
It includes all the previous X-Plane apps plus much more. I love it and it is well worth the money.

07-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Wow. All the previous apps combined. Tempted to buy for whenever I upgrade my iDevice just to get them all wrapped in one at a good price now.
07-16-2010, 03:49 PM
GYP. 10 dollars for better graphics and cockpit view. Why I stopped buying Laminar Search products.

And that i think of it, why couldn't they add all those extra planes in the regular app?

Last edited by Ddyracer123; 07-16-2010 at 03:51 PM.
07-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Everything with these guys requires buying a whole new app. No thanks.
07-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer123 View Post
And that i think of it, why couldn't they add all those extra planes in the regular app?
Agree. How about a little love for your existing customers?
07-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Anyone

Can someone explain the point of this game to me? Is it just a flight simulator?
07-16-2010, 06:19 PM
well i've just been skimming over appshopper and they do do a lot of updates for there existing products !

so if this actually contains the lot it might actually be a bargain ......presuming you have not bought half of the rest already and own an iphone 4

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"
07-16-2010, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=Ddyracer123;1188118]GYP. 10 dollars for better graphics and cockpit view. Why I stopped buying Laminar Search products.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, $10 for all eight versions (otherwise $80) is a great deal. I owned the original x-plane and never invested in the other versions. Good things come to those who wait.

This is a port of the ipad version, so there are flaws with the itsy, bitsy, teeny, tiny print, but the crystal clear graphics definitely make up for that.

I love the effort they put into the app, however I have some issues with it that I hope the developer will address in further updates.

Needs:

1. Better atmospheric effects, especially for night flying. The stars look muddled and boring. when you creep at the edge of the earth's atmosphere, it should really look like you actually are. You should be treated with a beautiful view of the earth. Not so in this case.

2. Although I appreciate the actual 3d buildings, they are sparse and limited in detail. I almost never use the city scenery because of this issue. The game runs ultra smooth and I can't see a reason to not include a much more detailed ground view for the cities offered. Many would agree that a slight performance hit for better city scenery would be a worth-while trade off.

3. The weapons on the combat planes need a major re-design. This is a flight sim which prides itself on realism. The look and feel of the guns don't do justice to an otherwise brilliant flight sim.

4. Actual physical buttons for the rudder pedals. Even the arcade shooter "skies of glory" includes this. You can't really call this a flight sim without them. The auto-rudder when turning your plane feels very un-sim-like.

5. A cockpit view that actually lets you see out the window. There is a 1st person view and an instrument cluster view, with very little window space. A hybrid-mix of these two views would be great. Seeing as how this is accelerometer based, there should be a "swipe to look" option, inside the cockpit, so you can have a 360 degree view of your surroundings. Perhaps even a gyroscope feature to at least give you a 180 degree view from left to right.

Despite these minor flaws, which will probably never be addressed, this is a very beautiful game and I highly recommend it for anyone that loves the wonder of flight.
07-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Send a message via AIM to russiaone
I, too, bought the first X-Plane, but never the other revs. I picked this one up immediately, as I always enjoyed a flight now and then to ease my mind. This version is infinitely better and a helluva value. Glad I waited.