★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

New App vs. big Update?

07-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Bersaelor
New App vs. big Update?

Hey,

I'm currently working on the version 1.5 of my app (more animations, one big extension of game logic, OpenFeint-Push-Notification turn based multiplayer,...).

Now since I released the game, I never sent it to any reviewers because I always had so many things in my head to add, that would make it so much better.
I mean I did get featured as "new and noteworthy" and some reviewers asked me for a promo code! Still for myself it was never perfect enough to send it to reviewing sites.

So once the version 1.5 ships, I think I'm ready for professionals to rate it.
Yet I'm unsure whether it even makes a point to submit a version 1.5 for review to anyone.

From your experience, do reviewers turn away disgusted if they receive a promo code for an app that has been in the store for a while?

The only alternative I could think of , is releasing it as a sequel "Tactica 2" and then marketing it as brand-new to reviewers.

What do you think, and what has been your experience?
07-18-2010, 04:06 PM
From a player stand point, personally I'd prefer to see a big update. If you release a new app, then you're splitting your users amongst 2 games and even if the all decide to switch to the newer application, they would be upset if they had to pay for it again. You might end up losing more players at the end of the day than gaining a new fan base. Adding a new update is much better, plus it lets current users know that the dev still cares about that game and is consistently working on making it work and look better; unlike Blizzard.

07-18-2010, 04:49 PM
From working at a review site, I'm fine with getting a promo code for an app that has some age behind, especially if it has gone under a huge update. So feel free to keep it as one game.
07-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBSHS View Post
From a player stand point, personally I'd prefer to see a big update. If you release a new app, then you're splitting your users amongst 2 games and even if the all decide to switch to the newer application, they would be upset if they had to pay for it again. You might end up losing more players at the end of the day than gaining a new fan base. Adding a new update is much better, plus it lets current users know that the dev still cares about that game and is consistently working on making it work and look better; unlike Blizzard.
Well I feel the same way, if it was necessary I thought about sending promo codes to my top players (there are only about 300 regular players yet, many of the ones who go online often are friends with me in Open Feint and I even have the email adresses after some of them commented on my blog).

But fortunately DGH94 cleared the problem, and I hope its gonna be ok to make an update
07-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Is your app currently ranked on a top list? If so, I'd encourage you to update it. People will see the changes listed in the description/screenshots. In contrast, if you update an unranked app, you'll have an uphill battle getting anyone to notice.

Given the scope of your improvements, you could easily justify putting it out as a sequal. Psychologically, I'd expect that a "new app" would be far less likely to be ignored than an update. The obvious exception would be if your game was already a favorite of the review site.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bersaelor View Post
Hey,

I'm currently working on the version 1.5 of my app (more animations, one big extension of game logic, OpenFeint-Push-Notification turn based multiplayer,...).

Now since I released the game, I never sent it to any reviewers because I always had so many things in my head to add, that would make it so much better.
I mean I did get featured as "new and noteworthy" and some reviewers asked me for a promo code! Still for myself it was never perfect enough to send it to reviewing sites.

So once the version 1.5 ships, I think I'm ready for professionals to rate it.
Yet I'm unsure whether it even makes a point to submit a version 1.5 for review to anyone.

From your experience, do reviewers turn away disgusted if they receive a promo code for an app that has been in the store for a while?

The only alternative I could think of , is releasing it as a sequel "Tactica 2" and then marketing it as brand-new to reviewers.

What do you think, and what has been your experience?
07-19-2010, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
Is your app currently ranked on a top list? If so, I'd encourage you to update it. People will see the changes listed in the description/screenshots. In contrast, if you update an unranked app, you'll have an uphill battle getting anyone to notice.

Given the scope of your improvements, you could easily justify putting it out as a sequal. Psychologically, I'd expect that a "new app" would be far less likely to be ignored than an update. The obvious exception would be if your game was already a favorite of the review site.

Good luck!
Well, currently I'm out of all ranks, thats why I asked. I mean honestly, how should anyone know about my game, I'm only mentioned on 3 review sites that asked me for a promo code (appspy.com, appreview.com)

But I do understand, that making a sequel would be annoying to mu current fan base too...
07-19-2010, 09:49 AM
In our experience big updates are the way to go. The product is already out there and known then sales should go up. All the big updates we have done have pushed the game up the charts... But for this to work you need a massive big improvement with updates. In Jet Car Stunts these updates helped sales:

The added tutorial.
The Openfeint gold enhancements.
The DLC and iOS 4 enhancements - this has been the most successful update to the point that apple are featuring the game heavily on the App Store now.

Also, releasing the Lite version of the game at around the Openfeint gold stuff helped sales as well.
07-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah but I'm pretty sure Jet Car Stunts has a fairly large user base by now (if not a huge one?) and has always had its name floating around out there... he mentioned his game isn't on any charts, that means that doing a big update simply won't get recognized. Updating a game no one knows about is not going to peak anyone's interest.

IMO you need to re-release it, and give the game a second chance to do well with all the release buzz and possibly even another chance to get on the new and noteworthy list. You may piss off your current fan base, but honestly if that's only a handful of people, its something you really should think about doing.
07-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAxis View Post
In our experience big updates are the way to go. The product is already out there and known then sales should go up. All the big updates we have done have pushed the game up the charts... But for this to work you need a massive big improvement with updates. In Jet Car Stunts these updates helped sales:

The added tutorial.
The Openfeint gold enhancements.
The DLC and iOS 4 enhancements - this has been the most successful update to the point that apple are featuring the game heavily on the App Store now.

Also, releasing the Lite version of the game at around the Openfeint gold stuff helped sales as well.
Would you like to share any observations regarding the pace of upgrades vs. the proportional improvements in sales?

For our games, I'd say we've never seen a remarkable effect by updating, but maybe we're just doing it wrong

(We'll see how ZB2 Universal turns out...)
07-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursaken_Media View Post
You may piss off your current fan base, but honestly if that's only a handful of people, its something you really should think about doing.
I agree. Why worry about pissing off 300 players, when you could delight 1000 more? But really, if the update is as big as you say, many of them won't be angry.

Don't forget you need to make money, too.