★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What's wrong with DropZap?

07-19-2010, 11:14 AM
What's wrong with DropZap?

Given some of the very positive feedback I have received, I would have expected it to be more popular.

Could you tell me what's wrong with DropZap?

P.S. If you have not seen it yet, check out http://dropzap.com

Last edited by amichail; 07-19-2010 at 11:21 AM.
07-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
I dunno it looks very nice, although the Background (from NASA <3) it doesn't look very professional.

07-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RttaM View Post
I dunno it looks very nice, although the Background (from NASA <3) it doesn't look very professional.
+1, It would be awesome to use your own wallpapers.

But what I see is that it does not have any 12 year old appeals.

Doodle/Zombie theme, nope
Retro feel, check
Explosions, nope
Originality, check
Not well known, not brand name publisher/brand

Not to say you need to do this crap to make it appeal, it just is a tough place for quality, simplistic apps.

This is a forum dedicated to figure out what is the best way you can give Steve Jobs your money.
07-19-2010, 12:17 PM
you may want to give the blocks a 3d feel.. its all about graphics/actions.. explosions, flames, sounds to match said explosion etc.. for the youth.

i would just go with a solid back ground.. or let the user use his wall paper and match the theme or whatever.
chris.
07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenashes View Post
+1, It would be awesome to use your own wallpapers.

But what I see is that it does not have any 12 year old appeals.

Doodle/Zombie theme, nope
Retro feel, check
Explosions, nope
Originality, check
Not well known, not brand name publisher/brand

Not to say you need to do this crap to make it appeal, it just is a tough place for quality, simplistic apps.
DropZap probably appeals more to older gamers, but it's not obvious how I could market it to that group.

Perhaps I could make a free Android version and use that to promote the (non-free) iOS version. Would that work?
07-19-2010, 01:17 PM
@amichail
I have to agree, while it is a darn fun game, I think its minimalistic presentation won't help it reach much broad appeal.

You also are treading on some weird psychological ground there with your frequent generosity.

So with the minimalistic presentation and the fact that it appears free so often many could see that as a sign that the game is some sloppy half assed little, "Look, Ma, I made a game for the iPhone!"

The other danger of the frequent long stretches of freeness mean that many folk almost interested then seeing it being sold for a more than reasonable $1, might be thinking, "Screw that, why pay when I'm sure in a few days ti will be free again."

I can't wait to see what you come up with next but think you might want to add a little more graphical appeal and, ironically, not offer it for free as as often as you had DropZap.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
@amichail
I have to agree, while it is a darn fun game, I think its minimalistic presentation won't help it reach much broad appeal.

I can't wait to see what you come up with next but think you might want to add a little more graphical appeal and, ironically, not offer it for free as as often as you had DropZap.
If the game fundamentals are good, why should I give up on it?
07-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amichail View Post
If the game fundamentals are good, why should I give up on it?
Err, no reason to and those of us that own it will really appreciate the support but, just trying to be honest here, I don't see this ever having any mass market appeal (i.e. the game that will allow you to quit your day job and become a full-time developer).

Realize this public you're trying to court are the same ones that make all of the boob and fart apps best sellers.

You might have a great game but how would the general public ever know when looking through a huge list of apps and only have your icon and maybe a screenshot or two to go by? Your game is great fun but there is nothing there to grab the average consumer's attention...at the same time if you go the cheesy route of changing your icon to some scantily clad bikini model, while it would do wonders for your sales, I and many others would write you off as a total sell out to the lowest common denominator.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-19-2010, 04:35 PM
You have posted more or less this exact same question many months ago. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, just noting it.

As folks noted then and now, the game doesnt look attractive graphically.

You have put a lot of effort into thinking about how to market the game, maybe its worth a resdesign of the shapes to give them texture and depth. For example, look at Chain Link Pro, a nice looking shape-related game.

Pretty sure I passed up on dl'ing drop zap when it was free based on looks alone. Probably a mistake, but I try tons of freebies, and I have to make some limiting choices somehow.

I dunno whether you'll get enough sales to be worth a graphics boost, but I think you would need it to have a shot.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale

Last edited by ArtNJ; 07-19-2010 at 04:39 PM.
07-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
I dunno whether you'll get enough sales to be worth a graphics boost, but I think you would need it to have a shot.
I will look into improving the graphics, but unfortunately, I'm not an artist. It's also hard for me to predict what others will like.

BTW, if you want to check out DropZap for free, there are promo codes here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...threadid=59806

http://www.google.com/buzz/amichail/...otable-changes