★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Report a Developer?

07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Report a Developer?

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but lately there have been several apps by the same developer jump to the #1 Top Grossing app. I looked up the developer on appannie.com and noticed that this devs apps all started out at $449 to get to #1 Top grossing. Should I report this to apple? who should I contact to report this dev?

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit harsh. It just angers me when someone throws together a crappy app and gets rich off it.

Here's the link: http://www.appannie.com/company/sufpay/
07-19-2010, 08:18 PM
You can send in a mail to developer support.

07-19-2010, 08:39 PM
$449 huh. They must've used the promo code exploit that somebody posted here.

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah the dev most likely used promo codes. You can see that whenever his apps get updated, the rank in top grossing goes up. I should try contacting Apple Developer Support. I doubt they will do anything, but it's worth a try.
07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Devs have been banned (posts on another dev site) for doing this stuff so Apple does look at it.
07-20-2010, 02:01 AM
yeah, not the first time it happens but we're yet to see any reaction from Apple on that

which makes me wonder - how can they be so proud of the AppStore, always showing it in brightest colors there are... yet allow such exploits go right on top of it (we're talking about #1 grossing here after all) without any kind of reaction whatsoever ? do they even care about developers whose sales suffer ? do they even care about customers who get cheated ?
07-20-2010, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSz_spokko View Post
yeah, not the first time it happens but we're yet to see any reaction from Apple on that

which makes me wonder - how can they be so proud of the AppStore, always showing it in brightest colors there are... yet allow such exploits go right on top of it (we're talking about #1 grossing here after all) without any kind of reaction whatsoever ? do they even care about developers whose sales suffer ? do they even care about customers who get cheated ?
They have always been pretty relaxed on policing developers. They completely depend on people reporting violators to them. Essentially, if no one ever reported SufPlay to Apple, they would never catch them cheating.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
07-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Actually, that's a pretty neat exploit, update, set your price to $449, give out 50 promo codes to people you know will download and suddenly the appstore thinks you've made $22450 in a single day and you're topping the grossing charts

Presumably Apple could fix it so promo codes don't count towards top grossing figures if they can be bothered but if you think about it, the dev isn't really doing anything wrong so your call for a ban is slightly ridiculous. It also only works in the US store.

In my opinion anyone who browses the top grossing charts to decide what to buy deserves all they get...

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
07-20-2010, 05:48 AM
I haven't noticed this at all. Please give me an example of an app you're talking about.

hi
07-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennX View Post
Presumably Apple could fix it so promo codes don't count towards top grossing figures if they can be bothered
well, they should. they always talk about customer satisfaction and stuff

I don't think they have problem with money either

this is something so simple that if they wanted to - they'd do it in half an hour...

Quote:
but if you think about it, the dev isn't really doing anything wrong so your call for a ban is slightly ridiculous.
well, techincally what's not against the rules is allowed. yet Apple can and did ban developers or games for virtually no reason - without a benefit to customers. so why not use their supreme powers where it would make sense ?

Quote:
It also only works in the US store.
coincidentall - it's the only one that really counts

Quote:
In my opinion anyone who browses the top grossing charts to decide what to buy deserves all they get...
the fact that majority of customers are... umm you know, not very smart and definitely not reading reviews... doesn't yet mean they should be cheated