★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Looking for Theme Feedback on ScribBall

03-02-2009, 02:29 PM
#1
Looking for Theme Feedback on ScribBall

Hello folks,
We're the developers of ScribBall, a casual physics color matching game for the Mac and iPhone.

We recently updated our graphics, but were a bit dismayed when we found a handful of people really disliked our changes. So it seemed like the best way to make everyone happy (or as close as possible..) would be to let users pick the themes.

However, we don't want to make the same mistake as we did last time, so I'd like to hear some opinions about what we've got lined up- so we can get some customer feedback _before_ pushing out an update to everyone.

Here's the original color theme:
http://kortham.net/temp/ScribBallClassic.png

And here's the new pencil theme:
http://kortham.net/temp/ScribBallPencil.png

This is the one that had some mixed reactions. Some people felt it wasn't as bright or colorful as the other original. To respond to that, we made a new brighter theme:

http://kortham.net/temp/ScribBallBright.png

Finally, we're addressing a request for color blind mode:
http://kortham.net/temp/ScribBallColorBlind.png

We'd particularly appreciate feedback on color blind mode, if the colors are easy to differentiate, etc.

Finally, we've got a lot of themes in the Mac version of ScribBall that we could move over. There are some screenshots here: http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/scribball.shtml Any requests?

Thank you all very much for the feedback!

-Andy Korth
Howling Moon Software

Andy Korth - Howling Moon Software - Contract app development
Check out Chipmunk Physics!
03-02-2009, 02:30 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 535
Leaving feed back in a second

03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
#3
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 155
I am partially colorblind and I could easily differentiate the colors in ''colorblind mode''.

The themes all look fantastic.
I prefer the pencil theme to the original though.
03-02-2009, 02:35 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 535
Wow first off all of those graphics look reallly nice so good job to you guys

I'd have to say my favorite was the Scribball Pencil, it makes the whole thing very easy to look at and fits perfectly with the "handdrawn" theme of the game.

I also loved the backgrounds on the Mac version, if you could figure a way to port the "Scream" background (i think thats what it was) into the iPod version that would be amazing

Overall though everything looks very good, I hadnt really heard of this game and Im now tempted to buy it...if only I hadnt just gotten a speeding ticket...damn
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
#5
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,326
I prefer the "bright" one over all other ones

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
#6
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 208
Wow, right now i am seriously considering to buy this, after i've seen all those screenshots.

From the 'original' screens i prefer the pencil graphics and i really like the idea of putting graphics for colorblind people in there.

But whatever you will do or not do, please import those graphics from the Desktop version. The 8bit graphics are just pure goodness and those Edvard Munch like graphics are amazing!

Screw me, i'm gonna get this either way, but PLEASE convert those two!

Fed up with all the casual games on the iDevice and in need of a new twist to the RPG genre? You can have an influence on the game with your ideas! For more info have a look at: Thread on TA / The Dev's Blog
03-02-2009, 02:42 PM
#7
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,393
For the colorblind mode I think you should do something like what Trism did and add patterns or something inside the balls. I was having a hard time differentiating the colors, although if I really tried I could.

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmAlive View Post
I am partially colorblind and I could easily differentiate the colors in ''colorblind mode''.

The themes all look fantastic.
I prefer the pencil theme to the original though.
I'm glad to hear that it's helpful! We could only simulate color blindness, not test it ourselves.

It also sounds like people have a variety of opinions, so the update with the theme picker should be well received!

Andy Korth - Howling Moon Software - Contract app development
Check out Chipmunk Physics!
03-02-2009, 02:45 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKorth View Post
I'm glad to hear that it's helpful! We could only simulate color blindness, not test it ourselves.

It also sounds like people have a variety of opinions, so the update with the theme picker should be well received!
Maybe a lite version so financially impared people like me can try it out before buying?
03-02-2009, 02:45 PM
#10
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
Wow, right now i am seriously considering to buy this, after i've seen all those screenshots.

From the 'original' screens i prefer the pencil graphics and i really like the idea of putting graphics for colorblind people in there.

But whatever you will do or not do, please import those graphics from the Desktop version. The 8bit graphics are just pure goodness and those Edvard Munch like graphics are amazing!

Screw me, i'm gonna get this either way, but PLEASE convert those two!
Heh. Someone else mentioned "the scream theme" above. I assume both of you are referring the the Van Gogh theme due to it's similar painting style. I guess this means that we'll need to be adding a "Scream Theme" as well.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software (blog)
Author of CrayonBall and the popular Chipmunk Physics Library
Check out our new game Twilight Golf! Physics puzzles and dynamic shadows!