★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: imafia: calculating fights

03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
imafia: calculating fights

How the eff does the fighting ACTUALLY work? I can fight someone, lose by 1 point, buy a whole new member, equip the member, and fight the same person with MINIMAL if any change in the results. Shouldn't I then beat them by 15+ points? Is Playmesh just averaging your attack/defense over all of your characters? Does adding members actually help fights at all, or just tasks?

Also, wth is with getting LESS experience when you make a critical hit or evasion? AND, there's NO WAY those things only happen 10% of the time.

Seems like this could use a bit of tweaking.
03-02-2009, 03:45 PM
there are still people playing that game? its kind of old now..and it doesnt work properly=.=

03-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer513 View Post
there are still people playing that game? its kind of old now..and it doesnt work properly=.=
Yeah, I'm still playing it along with iMob and Mafia Live.
I did stopped playing Mafia R/R when I got to level 60 and needed 40,000
more exp. points for the next level. That has to be a bug?

Steve
03-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwregistrations View Post
How the eff does the fighting ACTUALLY work? I can fight someone, lose by 1 point, buy a whole new member, equip the member, and fight the same person with MINIMAL if any change in the results. Shouldn't I then beat them by 15+ points? Is Playmesh just averaging your attack/defense over all of your characters? Does adding members actually help fights at all, or just tasks?

Also, wth is with getting LESS experience when you make a critical hit or evasion? AND, there's NO WAY those things only happen 10% of the time.

Seems like this could use a bit of tweaking.
Wtf? First of all, maybe you should play the game more than 10 minutes to understand how it works...

I don't see where you're seeing this "lose by one point" stuff. You either win or lose, it doesn't show by how much you lost by. Your attack is calculated by a number of things: Your weapons, body armors, vehicles, and skill points. When you buy a weapon, you see it has an attack and defense number. Lets say you bought a gun that did 5 for attack and 3 for defense and a body armor that did 2 for attack and 10 for defense.
This means you now have 7 attack and 13 defense.

When you level up your character with exp, you will get 3 skill points per level, one of the categories these points can be put into is "attack/defense" which gives you a hard point. So lets say you put all 3 points into the "attack/defense" category. You now have 10 attack and 13 defense. Understand? The higher your attack is when attacking someone only betters your chance of winning. So theoretically you could fight someone weaker than you, and still lose (even though it isn't likely).

In regards to the evasion/critical hit. Each fight you win grants you varying exp points every time, so I don't know how you came to the conclusion that critical attacks don't give you as much, there is literally no way of deducing that just by playing. And remember what I said about skill points and the categories? Well "critical/evasion" is also a category which can be increased by .5% for every 2 points (I think). So lets say you have 10% in 'critical/evasion' and the person you fight has 15%. This means you have a 10% chance to do a critical strike on that fight and the enemy has a 15% chance of completely evading your attack.

Adding more members allows you to have more weapons and property. For every one gang member you have, you are allowed 1 weapon/armor/vehicle and 5 establishments.

And no, the game isn't broken. It works just fine.
03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
Wtf? First of all, maybe you should play the game more than 10 minutes to understand how it works...
Wow I'm good, I got to level 49 in ten minutes.

And as for your understanding of how fighting works, this is exactly what I'm talking about. You think you know, but you have no clue. It SEEMS like it should work on a 1:1 basis, but it doesn't. Did you read my post at all? I have 39 members. I fight someone else, the result is I lose, causing 14 damage and he wins, causing me 15 damage (I lost by one point). Now I buy another member, equip him with a rocket launcher, kev vest, and police humvee. Theoretically I should now cause 35 more damage to him and lose 38 less hp in a fight. Yet I win by 1, maybe 2, and sometimes still lose.

I'm all for a little bit of chance in the game, but I want to know HOW it is calculated and IF buying members after 40 is worth anything at all to me. If it's just averaging the attack/defense per member and putting that against the average of the other guy, there's no point buying more members. In fact I'd like to sell some.

And yes, the game is broken. They must be experimenting with using an iPhone as a server; I more often can't connect than can. Come to think of it, why *am* I still playing this game?

Quote:
I don't see where you're seeing this "lose by one point" stuff. You either win or lose, it doesn't show by how much you lost by. Your attack is calculated by a number of things: Your weapons, body armors, vehicles, and skill points. When you buy a weapon, you see it has an attack and defense number. Lets say you bought a gun that did 5 for attack and 3 for defense and a body armor that did 2 for attack and 10 for defense.

When you level up your character with exp, you will get 3 skill points per level, one of the categories these points can be put into is "attack/defense" which gives you a hard point. So lets say you put all 3 points into the "attack/defense" category. You now have 10 attack and 13 defense. Understand? The higher your attack is when attacking someone only betters your chance of winning. So theoretically you could fight someone weaker than you, and still lose (even though it isn't likely).

And no, the game isn't broken. It works just fine.
03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Ditto, to me it seems that the calculations for damage/attack/defense are random. If you add up all your defense and attack points it doesn't seem to provide the assumed defense or attack points it should. I have also done what you did to buy an additional member properly equip him and attack someone who previously attacked me and I have also lost when theoretically I have more points, unless it's a coding issue they have then it seems to be just plain luck.
03-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Firstly, you're a rude moron and I don't even know why I'm responding. Perhaps it's to shed light on the walnut that resides in your skull.

You are obviously not level 49, as you barely even know the mechanics of such things. Don't you think that if the game worked as though you said it did, that you'd be doing insane amounts of damage?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that if you fight a guy who has 100 defense, and you have 115 attack, that you should do 15 damage to him? No, that is clearly not how it works. Fight 100 differnt people, tell me how much the range varies. Not everybody has all the same equipment, so put 2+2 together and you'll see that the damage you do/receive is not directly effected by your equipment. It's moreso to do with the level of your character.

As I said, owning more members allows you to have more eqp/property. So owning more eqp can help better your chances of winning. Not increase the damage you do. So yes, owning more members definitely helps your chances, as long as you equip them to their fullest potential.

It seems strange to me that a person at level 49 would not have realized a pattern by now. I just reached level 49 today and have been in over 1000 fights, and I barely even fight.

As far as connecting, I have no trouble whatsoever.
03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chzmkl View Post
Ditto, to me it seems that the calculations for damage/attack/defense are random. If you add up all your defense and attack points it doesn't seem to provide the assumed defense or attack points it should. I have also done what you did to buy an additional member properly equip him and attack someone who previously attacked me and I have also lost when theoretically I have more points, unless it's a coding issue they have then it seems to be just plain luck.
Again, how do you know? Same as the last guy, the damage you do isn't directly related to your attack/defense. You could have 40 members with 800 attack total, the other guy could have 40 with 700 defense total. This doesn't mean you'll win 100% of the time and do 100 damage to him. Think of it as rolling dice. You get 8 rolls, he gets 7. Whoever totals more in their rolls is the winner. THEN damage is applied based on your level, NOT based on your attack/defense.
03-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Quote:
put 2+2 together and you'll see that the damage you do/receive is not directly effected by your equipment.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Two lines above:

Quote:
Your attack is calculated by a number of things: Your weapons, body armors, vehicles, and skill points. When you buy a weapon, you see it has an attack and defense number. Lets say you bought a gun that did 5 for attack and 3 for defense and a body armor that did 2 for attack and 10 for defense.
Finally, your second (contradictory) post IS MY POINT. There is no rhyme or reason to the fighting, so WHY give items attack/defense properties at all? Dipstick.
03-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwregistrations View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Two lines above:

Finally, your second (contradictory) post IS MY POINT. There is no rhyme or reason to the fighting, so WHY give items attack/defense properties at all? Dipstick.
Are you not seeing the logic? Just because I said you have 7 attack, doesn't mean you do 7 damage. Instead of saying "attack" I'll say "chance of winning".

Your chance of winning is based on a number of things: your attack/defense skill points, and weapons/armor/vehicles. What the hell do you not understand? You could have 6236342634643634 "chance of winning" points, but you will still only do 9-30 damage. How hard of a concept is this for a person to understand?

I'll say it for the 3rd time, probably 4th. The ATTACK points you get when you buy weapons and such only AID in your CHANCE of winning. When you win, THEN you do DAMAGE that is NOT related to your ATTACK (chance of winning) points. I can say this in 5 different languages if you don't comprehend english (which is blatantly obvious you don't).