★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Iphone vs. Ipod Touch

View Poll Results: Iphone vs. Ipod Touch
Iphone 12 28.57%
Ipod Touch 30 71.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll
10-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Iphone vs. Ipod Touch

Which one do use?
There can only be one WINNER.
10-18-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't know about the iPhone but the iPod touchs battery, if you can call it a battery, is trash. I recharge it at least twice a day. They try telling me it pasts for 36 hours. Whatever.

10-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I know the iPhone has more features, but I choose the Touch over it, because as far as I'm concerned 16GB just isn't big enough to fit all my music/vids/apps on. Maybe when a 32GB iPhone is released I'll get one.
10-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by belal.rawi View Post
They try telling me it pasts for 36 hours.
It probably will if you only play music with it. Other things drain the battery more quickly, especially games, and they say so up front.

--Eric
10-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
It probably will if you only play music with it.
That's right. 30+ hours is probably possible listening to music, so long as Wi-Fi is turned off, the equalizer is turned off, and the screen is in sleep mode, with the volume about half way.
10-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Touch over iPhone. Once you've bought your Touch, it's paid for (other than new apps of course). iPhone, you keep paying and paying year after year. Even though it may be "subsidized" now with a reduced price, you're phone contract of several years means you'll be paying way more than a 32gb Touch in the end. In fact, you probably would have been able to buy 2-3 Touches by the end of your contract (at least here in Canada). Don't get me wrong, would love to have internet access at all times, but not worth the current price to always be connected.
10-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I think the iPhone tends to be more business related. It has a lot of online games and apps that are just for fun, but the monthly price is a lot if you just want music and games.

The battery actually works pretty decent on the iPhone after the 2.1 update. You still have to charge it once a day, but it's doable.
10-18-2008, 12:36 PM
For me, it's the iPhone 100%. It's definitely a preference thing, but, for years, I used to be a big Palm Pilot guy. In one pocket, I'd have my Palm device for music and such, and in the others, would be my smokes/lighter, my wallet, my car keys, and of course, my cell phone. Sometimes, I'd swap the Palm Pilot for a handheld gaming console, like the DS, or the GameBoy. I've always wanted an all-in-one device, and I thought I found it a couple of years ago with the Palm Smartphone. However, it was way too bulky and didn't have the same features as the iPhone. It definitely lacked in the gaming department, and I bought a lot of super-crappy $20 games for the platform back then. Not to mention, it was much more expensive, monthly, for the services I wanted. Now, in 2008, I've found the dream device - Small form-factor, combined with a music player, internet capabilities, and the ability to make phone calls - And let's not forget that it, as well as the Touch, plays games better than any other handheld out there on the market. I'm ecstatic with the iPhone and the Touch is great too. Like I mentioned, it's all about preference. If you're comfortable with the stuff you have now and don't want to pay close to 100 bucks for phone service, stick with the Touch. If you're concerned about bulk in your pockets and can afford it, I'd recommend the iPhone. One thing also to note - If you do own the phone, and it gets shut off for non-payment, you still end up with a pretty sweet iPod Touch that can be reactivated as a phone at a later date. As long as you stick with the firmware you have on the device and don't update it, the deactivated phone remains as a fully functioning iPod.

Last edited by davidovich; 10-18-2008 at 12:44 PM.
10-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I'd be interested to see how many iPhone users do actually wish they had more capacity than 16GB. My first Touch was the 16GB model, and I quickly ran out of room, and thats without all the apps I have now.
10-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidovich View Post
For me, it's the iPhone 100%. It's definitely a preference thing, but, for years, I used to be a big Palm Pilot guy. In one pocket, I'd have my Palm device for music and such, and in the others, would be my smokes/lighter, my wallet, my car keys, and of course, my cell phone. Sometimes, I'd swap the Palm Pilot for a handheld gaming console, like the DS, or the GameBoy. I've always wanted an all-in-one device, and I thought I found it a couple of years ago with the Palm Smartphone. However, it was way too bulky and didn't have the same features as the iPhone. It definitely lacked in the gaming department, and I bought a lot of super-crappy $20 games for the platform back then. Not to mention, it was much more expensive, monthly, for the services I wanted. Now, in 2008, I've found the dream device - Small form-factor, combined with a music player, internet capabilities, and the ability to make phone calls - And let's not forget that it, as well as the Touch, plays games better than any other handheld out there on the market. I'm ecstatic with the iPhone and the Touch is great too. Like I mentioned, it's all about preference. If you're comfortable with the stuff you have now and don't want to pay close to 100 bucks for phone service, stick with the Touch. If you're concerned about bulk in your pockets and can afford it, I'd recommend the iPhone. Once correction though - If you do own the phone, and it gets shut off for non-payment, you still end up with a pretty sweet iPod Touch that can be reactivated at a later date.
I agree. I'm not really into gadgets or anything, but having one small device that does pretty much everything is amazing! I never thought I could have GPS, a phone, an unbelievable PDA, and a portable gaming system in something that's smaller than most wallets. It's almost ridiculous what it can do.

Again, I'm not a techie or into gadgets, but this thing is amazing.