★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

You know what really grinds my gears?

07-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
You know what really grinds my gears?

I'm sure all of you have felt this way. Whenever there's a released app, either it be a game or other entertainment purposes, you expect updates on it. As there's nothing more exciting than going in the App Store to find one of your favorite apps has an update that improves the performance/adds content and such.

But if there is ONE thing I really really hate, it's developers not updating the app itself but only adding 'retina display.' Yes, we get it, iPhone 4 is out, however please don't ignore all the requests to fix bugs/crashes. And then have the audacity to improve something so minor just so it looks 'prettier' on the new phones.

I know this grinds your gears too. You see your favorite game that was released at launch or even a couple weeks ago. And it had problems, it was slow/laggy, crashed when you reached a certain level, or just needed extra content to make you fall in love with it all over again. So you wander into the app store like normal looking for other apps when lo and behold. Your Updates section has the number: 1 by it. You tap it to find out, WOW! Space Zombies from Mars is finally getting that update it deserved! Maybe the developers listened and improved gameplay and made it run faster? Or maybe even added additional characters/levels?! Oh I can't wait to see what it is...

Wait, what? 'Added support for 'Retina display.' Mother ******!!!!
So to all you developers out there. Please don't neglect those who bought your apps. If you're going to update the app to cater to iphone 4 users, at least add content that your fans requested, cause when you don't, it just really grinds my gears...

Last edited by iJoe; 07-22-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: misspellings
07-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Check reviews before buying and only purchase apps/games you feel are complete and work the way you want them to at that time. Between TouchArcade, the forums here, and the myriad of other similar review sites and communities there's pretty much no excuse for being ignorant to whether or not a game sucks before buying it. Furthermore, for a lot of games, adding Retina Display support can be a quick fix, especially if they're 3D. Adding more content is tons more work, and unless the game is selling well, there's pretty much no incentive for developers to keep producing new content when they can move on to a new (and hopefully more profitable) project.

It's just the fact of life in the hit-driven economy of the App Store. When you release a game for a buck, and only sell a couple hundred units, it's hard to rationalize spending the time improving it.

07-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Alright Peter Griffin.

Invaders Must Die.
07-22-2010, 11:45 AM
no you
07-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Check reviews before buying and only purchase apps/games you feel are complete and work the way you want them to at that time. Between TouchArcade, the forums here, and the myriad of other similar review sites and communities there's pretty much no excuse for being ignorant to whether or not a game sucks before buying it. Furthermore, for a lot of games, adding Retina Display support can be a quick fix, especially if they're 3D. Adding more content is tons more work, and unless the game is selling well, there's pretty much no incentive for developers to keep producing new content when they can move on to a new (and hopefully more profitable) project.

It's just the fact of life in the hit-driven economy of the App Store. When you release a game for a buck, and only sell a couple hundred units, it's hard to rationalize spending the time improving it.
yeah thats all sounds good till apple comes out with a update that breaks all the software that worked.. you know bought before the update!

heh
chris.
07-22-2010, 12:06 PM
07-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
Hahahaha! Someone is on the same page as me.

Invaders Must Die.
07-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Wow, you are really spoiled. Just because a developer doesn't spend their time updating your favorite game because you want tons of new free content and goodies and everything you fantasize about, doesn't mean they can't at least perfect the game with the latest and best graphics on an iPhone yet. Because you expect people to cater to your every little video game update wish, you won't accept any update to a game besides "a whole new map!" or "more characters!" or "new weapons and zombies and ninjas!"
07-22-2010, 03:58 PM
You know what really grinds MY gears

People who reference family guy and fail to deliver the same level of comedy. Especially when it is so obvious they try to be funny. Man, this thread was a bigger letdown than LeBron leaving the Cavs to join the Heat
07-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Other gears? You sure are pessimistic. When I have free wifi somewhere, I just download all the unimportant updates then.