★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Real foosball. Only better.

Designed for real foosball fans, 2Foos is true-to-life table football with rich HD graphics in a stunning, detailed Art Deco environment. Physics have exactly replicated the real-world table football (or "babyfoot") experience -- and all the real-world rules apply!

Simply touch the screen to control your players, and enjoy the challenge.

Features:

-Drop-in/drop-out play vs. the computer or a friend
-Automatic "Demo mode"
-4 jersey choices per player
-Play to 5 or 10 points, or to 2 or 3 minutes
-Inverted or standard controls
-Audio on/off
-Play from any orientation
-Follows standard real-world rules
-Careful similation of real-world foosball physics
-No text. No bad translations.
07-22-2010, 12:19 PM
This looks really good, I wonder how it compares to the FoosBall game Illusion Labs put out?

As much as I would like to, don't think I will spend the $5 to find out.

07-22-2010, 01:18 PM
I emailed these guys and asked them to post in the thread. I went to their website and was really impressed with their FAQ regarding the game and pricing.

If the game plays as good as it looks, this could be a fantastic game.
07-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeelp, I too had a look at the devs webpage and I really like their honesty and transparency about their reasoning behind the pricing they went with. They seem like a stand-up kinda crowd and the game looks great from the screenies, so I'm gonna go ahead and take the plunge and buy the game.

I'll let everyone know what I think of it once I've had a while to really put some quality time into playing the game.

- danrel
07-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrel View Post
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeelp, I too had a look at the devs webpage and I really like their honesty and transparency about their reasoning behind the pricing they went with. They seem like a stand-up kinda crowd and the game looks great from the screenies, so I'm gonna go ahead and take the plunge and buy the game.

I'll let everyone know what I think of it once I've had a while to really put some quality time into playing the game.

- danrel
Thanks, I will wait for your impressions. I own a real foosball table, so it is hard to justify more than the illusion lab version. However, if this is great I will probably grab it.
07-22-2010, 03:26 PM
From the dev

Hi all,

Wow, you guys are FAST on keeping up with the app store. I just got the "Your game is approved" email from Apple. =)

So, I of course played Foosball HD, as well as lots of air hockey games, Labyrinth, Pinball HD, etc., etc. Foosball HD game out right in the middle of my production cycle, the day before I did a round of user testing, so I actually spent a lot more time (and money) paying specific attention to the controls, and to making them different from IL's game.

In particular, we went to lengths to get the rods to move like real foosball table rods. It's still not 100% perfect from my perspective. (I've spent the majority of my game industry career as a QA Manager, so I'm a perfectionist.) However, a few things we did make certain to get right:

When you swipe to spin, the rods spin 3-4 times and then stay in whatever position they land. (In Foosball HD the foosmen are weighted so they always swing back down to vertical. Which is good if you don't want to pay attention to them and still have them defending, but bad if you prefer making your score shot from your goalie rod, which I d.)

The ball is weighted to be heavier, so it feels less like a beach ball and more like a metal pinball. Actual foos balls are somewhere in between, but we found that lightening the ball makes it more prone to popping out of the table and causing a respawn. That still happens -- it's designed to happen, so that you can do trick shots that pop the ball upwards -- but I preferred the heavier weight.

Ball size was another thing we spent time and testers on. The foosmen have narrow feet for the sake of visual design. But if you make the ball *slightly* too small, the gameplay becomes very fiddly. If you make it *slightly* too large, the ball gets stuck under foosmen instead of passing easily under them. This was an issue IL solved by making the foosmen wider. I solved it by getting 4 builds of "let's make the ball 5% smaller.."

Sound effects. Let me just confess that I *hate* doing audio, but I spent a good week at it to make sure that the sounds were understated, appropriate, and not annoying. There's also a detail in there: the sound effect for bouncing the rod against the bumper at one side of the table is very slightly different than for the other bumper, so that you have a doppler-ish sense of what the other player is doing. It's subtle, but I thought it was important.

Inverted versus standard controls was something we discovered early on, but solved fairly late. I'm an inverted controls person, myself, but about half my user testers were standard controls people. I actually had to create a selector wheel for this myself, because my artists had finished all their contracted work by the time we got to adding that feature. It was so split down the middle with preferences, though, that I had to add it.

So from my perspective, a lot of what I liked doing in my game was adding subtle details that would only be noticed if they were done badly or not at all. That was my design philosophy, anyway. I can only hope that you guys, as players, believe I succeeded.

-Evie
07-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketprotector View Post
Hi all,

Wow, you guys are FAST on keeping up with the app store. I just got the "Your game is approved" email from Apple. =)

So, I of course played Foosball HD, as well as lots of air hockey games, Labyrinth, Pinball HD, etc., etc. Foosball HD game out right in the middle of my production cycle, the day before I did a round of user testing, so I actually spent a lot more time (and money) paying specific attention to the controls, and to making them different from IL's game.

In particular, we went to lengths to get the rods to move like real foosball table rods. It's still not 100% perfect from my perspective. (I've spent the majority of my game industry career as a QA Manager, so I'm a perfectionist.) However, a few things we did make certain to get right:

When you swipe to spin, the rods spin 3-4 times and then stay in whatever position they land. (In Foosball HD the foosmen are weighted so they always swing back down to vertical. Which is good if you don't want to pay attention to them and still have them defending, but bad if you prefer making your score shot from your goalie rod, which I d.)

The ball is weighted to be heavier, so it feels less like a beach ball and more like a metal pinball. Actual foos balls are somewhere in between, but we found that lightening the ball makes it more prone to popping out of the table and causing a respawn. That still happens -- it's designed to happen, so that you can do trick shots that pop the ball upwards -- but I preferred the heavier weight.

Ball size was another thing we spent time and testers on. The foosmen have narrow feet for the sake of visual design. But if you make the ball *slightly* too small, the gameplay becomes very fiddly. If you make it *slightly* too large, the ball gets stuck under foosmen instead of passing easily under them. This was an issue IL solved by making the foosmen wider. I solved it by getting 4 builds of "let's make the ball 5% smaller.."

Sound effects. Let me just confess that I *hate* doing audio, but I spent a good week at it to make sure that the sounds were understated, appropriate, and not annoying. There's also a detail in there: the sound effect for bouncing the rod against the bumper at one side of the table is very slightly different than for the other bumper, so that you have a doppler-ish sense of what the other player is doing. It's subtle, but I thought it was important.

Inverted versus standard controls was something we discovered early on, but solved fairly late. I'm an inverted controls person, myself, but about half my user testers were standard controls people. I actually had to create a selector wheel for this myself, because my artists had finished all their contracted work by the time we got to adding that feature. It was so split down the middle with preferences, though, that I had to add it.

So from my perspective, a lot of what I liked doing in my game was adding subtle details that would only be noticed if they were done badly or not at all. That was my design philosophy, anyway. I can only hope that you guys, as players, believe I succeeded.

-Evie

Welcome. This sounds fantastic and it is clear that a lot of attention to detail has been put into this game. I was impressed with the FAQ on your website.

I really like the foosball game by illusion labs but I will more than likely pick this game up in the next day or two.
07-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
Welcome. This sounds fantastic and it is clear that a lot of attention to detail has been put into this game. I was impressed with the FAQ on your website.

I really like the foosball game by illusion labs but I will more than likely pick this game up in the next day or two.
Thank you! I would love to know what you think of it. Feel free to email me. I'm also going to try to get a comments feature integrated on my website. I'm not a webdev, so this may take me a little while to implement it without breaking everything.
07-22-2010, 07:00 PM
I went ahead and bought this and it is pretty fantastic. This game has a very realistic feel to it, especially the weight of the ball and the position of the players when spun.

Graphics are polished and the game feels perfect to me. I would like to see the score a little better, as is it is a little hard to tell how many points you have. Love the game options, timed and points variations. I really like being able to change the colors of the jerseys.

Need to play this some more but I would put this just above the HD foosball game by illusion labs and that is saying a lot.

Nice job. Be prepared to have people (app store reviews) complain about there being no single player mode. No matter how clear you make it, someone will complain.
07-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
I went ahead and bought this and it is pretty fantastic. This game has a very realistic feel to it, especially the weight of the ball and the position of the players when spun.

Graphics are polished and the game feels perfect to me. I would like to see the score a little better, as is it is a little hard to tell how many points you have. Love the game options, timed and points variations. I really like being able to change the colors of the jerseys.

Need to play this some more but I would put this just above the HD foosball game by illusion labs and that is saying a lot.

Nice job. Be prepared to have people (app store reviews) complain about there being no single player mode. No matter how clear you make it, someone will complain.
Thank you!! I'm really glad to have that feedback. =) Would you mind putting it as a review on the App Store?

I absolutely have a single-player mode on top of my priority list for updates -- I actually had the translation team translate an "Added single-player mode" as an update for as soon as it's available. =) But it'll take a few weeks to get it done, polished, tested and approved.