★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: HexaLex 2.1 w. Shuffle Match

07-22-2010, 02:19 PM
HexaLex 2.1 w. Shuffle Match: On SALE!

Now on SALE! 33% Off: $1.99!

Hi folks, I'm the (solo) developer of HexaLex, the world's first hexagonal crossword game. HexaLex is an innovative new take on the crossword game genre you know and love from Scrabble and Words With Friends. The latest release, version 2.1, adds the much-requested Shuffle Match feature, which allows you to challenge random online opponents.

Here's what TouchArcade's own Plast2 had to say about v1.1 (back when it didn't have network play at all!):

"Everything you do, from dragging tiles to turning pages feels solid, like built with everything mulled over again and again. It's an innovative approach to word games, it's fun as hell and you get so many hours out of it it's not even funny! Highly recommended!" - Plast2, TouchArcade.com forum

TheAPPera.com says: "The whole thing is marvelous. The graphics are really stellar, and the controls are obvious, and perfect. ... Every one of us needs to snatch this up."

Apple featured us in What's Hot in word games and TUAW featured us as their Daily App. But enough ink! Take a gander at AppSpy.com's video review:

Give the game a shot! I've been working on this game for over a year and I'm always dying for feedback, so let me know what you think. If you want to meet other players come join our Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/hexalex

Cheers,
-n8

Last edited by n8gray; 08-03-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: On sale!
07-22-2010, 02:24 PM
This looks pretty good

07-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Glad you're interested! Let me know what you think. I'm particularly proud of the instant feedback system when you lay down tiles. I think it really lets you stretch your vocabulary without just nerfing the experience. Whenever I go back to Scrabble or Words With Friends I feel totally crippled without it.

Oh, and awesome news: we're just a hair's breadth away from breaking into the top 25 word games in the US!

Last edited by n8gray; 07-22-2010 at 06:51 PM.
07-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8gray View Post
Glad you're interested! Let me know what you think. I'm particularly proud of the instant feedback system when you lay down tiles. I think it really lets you stretch your vocabulary without just nerfing the experience. Whenever I go back to Scrabble or Words With Friends I feel totally crippled without it.

Oh, and awesome news: we're just a hair's breadth away from breaking into the top 25 word games in the US!
Yeah downloaded great game instantly deleted scrabble off my device not played anything other than against AI but loving it so far
07-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
Yeah downloaded great game instantly deleted scrabble off my device not played anything other than against AI but loving it so far
LOL. No need to delete Scrabble! People are gonna think I've paid you off or something... What level of AI are you playing?

And lookie here, we're #25 in word games!
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm really interested in this app. I love word games. One question about the multiplayer aspect: can this be played locally over Wifi or Bluetooth, or must you play through a Facebook account ? I'd buy this in a second if a few friends and I could sit around the living room with our iPhones and iPads and play each other.

I'd be much obliged to you for any clarification, n8gray...

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !
07-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Hi quebecotr, good question. You don't need a Facebook account to play network games. You do need an account on our server, but Facebook is totally optional. I've given some thought to adding bluetooth support but as a one-man team (with kids, no less) I haven't had time to do it. But as long as your living room has an internet connection you shouldn't have any problem playing with your friends, and that way you can keep playing even if one of you has to go home early. My wife and I play that way all the time!

I should also point out that the network play in HL is pretty advanced compared to the competition. You can keep playing even if your network connection drops -- your moves get synched the next time you're connected. One of the things that drives me crazy about Scrabble is the way it just boots you out of the game if it loses contact with the server. Oh, and unlike WWF you can have up to four players in network games.

Any other questions?
07-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the prompt response

Only one - how fast can I hie over to the iTunes store to download this ?

I'm going to have a couple of friends get their own copy, too, so we can have a few games this weekend. I love the idea of a four-player game. It really looks like you put a lot of work into this. This is going to be fun!

I'm happy to support valuable efforts such as yours. Congrats on releasing a fine game.

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !
07-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebecotr View Post
Only one - how fast can I hie over to the iTunes store to download this ?

I'm going to have a couple of friends get their own copy, too, so we can have a few games this weekend. I love the idea of a four-player game. It really looks like you put a lot of work into this. This is going to be fun!

I'm happy to support valuable efforts such as yours. Congrats on releasing a fine game.
Wow, thanks! It's actually kind of embarrassing how much work I put into this, to be honest. Hope you like the game, and be sure to rate/review!

Out of curiosity, are you a big Words With Friends player? I think we must be getting a lot of them, because I don't know why someone would use a username like "fred271" when "fred" is available unless they were mirroring their WWF username.
07-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Nathan, it's always nice to see developers here supporting their games. I sent quite a bit of the following to you in an email in response to your reply about an iPad version as well. (For everyone else's benefit, Nate asked me about the current experience on the iPad so I start with that.)

----

The experience on the iPad isn't terrible, but it could be so much better. Finding the hotspot to move a tile on the board is a little difficult without being zoomed in, even in 2x mode. It would be easier with slightly larger tiles.

The board itself looks good, but the player's tiles at the bottom are very pixellated looking and the P1 & P2 score indicators at the top appear to be too soft or fuzzy.

As I indicated in my first email, I would be happy to help test any of these additions or any others to both the current game and an iPad version. Hopefully some of what I've included here are already on your list to add or will prove useful to you.

The game as it stands is a very good word game. It could still use some of the below to be even better as an electronic word game. Even a board version would benefit from some of them.

Here are things I would like to see added to the game. Some of this could be on screen with the extra space in a native iPad version. Others would be nice to have in the current version on the info screen.

- I desperately want a choice of dictionaries. The option to include words otherwise excluded would interest more competitive Scrabble players. There is no reason that words such as f*ck, c*nt, (Stupid filters here won't let me type words referring to having sex or female body parts, but you get the idea, I suspect) etc. should be excluded just because they offend some people. They are still words and are legal in competitive Scrabble play. The same is true for racial and religious slurs. The game is about playing the best possible words with your tiles, not about being politically correct. Right now the list is inconsistent still allowing words such as fag, faggot, and dyke - yes, they have other meanings, but it is unlikely that most players will be thinking of alternative spellings of dike (a dam) or a bundle of twigs when they try to play them. I'm sure I could find plenty of other examples if I look. (Guess, what, the censorship here is inconsistent also)

For references (which you are probably familiar with already) look up Scrabble on Wikipedia which has a discussion of the OWL2 list for USA, Canada, Israel and Thailand and SOWPODS list for everywhere else.

I don't think anyone would be upset if you charge $1/$2 extra for a version that offered a choice of competitive dictionaries as a "Pro" version. You might want to offer some additional features as well to truly justify the additional cost.

- At the VERY LEAST, please allow players to add words to the dictionary. These words should be removable also, in case of mistakes. Importing a word list rather than having to type them might be the easiest way and people would likely host the word lists on their websites if the game catches on.

- I see that on the search screen it shows "Dictionary: ENABLE2K+". What does this mean? Is it supposed to be a toggle for a more complete dictionary in some way?

- Allow word lookups to be disabled for more competitive play.

- There is a lot of wasted space on the sides and top of the board in 2x mode on an iPad. Use the space to show more information, such as some of the listed suggestions below.

- I would like the option to show what I'm scoring with my current play. (It could be optional). There shouldn't be a need to wait until I finish the play. Also, given that this is an electronic game, it should just do this automatically as I place tiles.

- Show invalid plays immediately when that option is turned on. Tiles placed don't seem to show junk words until there are more than 2 formed. I want an option to start showing them immediately.

- Also, the ability to have a running tile count would be very useful, along with a history of what was played. When playing in Scrabble clubs/tournaments everyone tracks remaining tiles and played words. There isn't a reason to force this to be done on paper. These could be on an info screen if needed, rather than on the main screen. There might be enough room on the iPad for the running tile count, but not for the played/formed words list.

- Near game end, once the draw pile is exhausted, I want to be able to see how many tiles my opponent has left. This is very important to end-game play to help decide whether to chance being able to form two words rather than focusing on going out in one play.

- With an iPad, I would like to have the option of using an iPhone/iPod Touch as a tile rack, just as with Scrabble, via Bluetooth. The iPhone should also still allow word lookups if enabled for a given game. Tile counts and such would also be great features on the iPhone.

Last edited by Finandir; 07-29-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Fixed issue with word filter censoring what I typed