Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-24-2010, 09:39 AM

Default Tapic- Rhythm game w/ built in note generator

CAUTION: because of the built-in note generator, this app is only compatible with the ios 4 firmware!

The Tapic Song Recommendation Thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=62289

Developer's Youtube Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA_QyqVcmnA

Last edited by Maythius; 07-27-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 AM

Default Some impressions

I'm a sucker for rhythm games and I gladly decided to TOFTT. You're welcome!

This game has amazing potential; it works as advertised! You can pick a song from your library and it processes the levels with a built in note generator (it appears toucharcade was right about the ios4 being able to do it).

The game has a built in experience and currency system. Songs cost 1 coin (you earn coins by playing songs) and various skins can be purchased if you have enough coins and Tap cash.

Tap cash is hard to obtain time wise and/or financially wise. You can exchange 400 coins for 1 Tap cash or you can buy 20 Tap cash for 0.99. There is a third option, you can tell a friend about the app for 2 tap cash. I personally think this is fair system it gives the developers a chance to make more money, but gives everyone a shot at earning everything without paying extra money

Gameplay This game plays exactly like tap tap revenge, and I'm very HAPPY to say that the note generator is spot on! There is one big issue though. I seem to be getting a lot of lag on my 2nd gen touch, but I can put this game down.

If you were a big fan of beatrider; get this instead. You don't have to go through crazy severs and the note generation is quick and extremely accurate. Plus there is no limit to the songs you can load into the game.

If the lag is fixed, this game has my HIGHEST recommendation
Old 07-24-2010, 11:01 AM
iPod Touch (1st Gen), OS 3.x

Will it work on all firmware or just ios4?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjl View Post
Will it work on all firmware or just ios4?
because the note generator is built in and doesn't use a server, it is only ios 4.0 I'm afraid

But if you have the latest firmware it is totally worth owning; I haven't stopped playing and I'm trying to unlock a new skin to see how it effects the gameplay.

EDIT: I added a warning about ios 4

Last edited by Maythius; 07-24-2010 at 11:12 AM..
Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

K so as a follow up on Maythius good work

No lag running on my 3gs, plays perfectly, and song processing is like 20 second which seems good to me. As for my experiences with the note generator, I've only tried 4 songs quickly and had mixed results, here they are...

Wolf Parade- I'll Believe in Anything -- This was the worst of the songs I tried, lots spots where it gave no notes and after a certain point in the song it stopped giving them altogether. It didn't seem like a glitch because the whole song was sparsley populated with notes

Fiery Furnaces- Paw Paw tree -- I wanted to try something noisy with a more obscured melody, i was really impressed with this one pretty difficult and even dealt with the strange intro noises.

Tool- Schism -- My go to for a weird time signature, it worked really well. As a matter of fact if your favorite band tends to do a lot of weird time signature things then you'll love this game as it make the songs waaay more interesting to tap through, or could be just me.

Don Caballero- Fire Back About Your New Baby's Sex -- I had to try an instrumental song and after tool worked so well I though I could really purt this generator through its paces, but alas this song ended up being way too easy and notes sporadically wandered in.

Oh, I played everything on hard and havent unlocked 5 note mode (landscape) yet. Overall the difficulty needs tweaking i suspect but certain parts of song were plenty difficult while most were a little dull.

CONCLUSION- your enjoyment from this will depend on how much you dislike the tracklists that the typical music game has, if you can find songs you like in TTR3 for example they will probably be better produced but if your like me and that isn't an option then this is wholeheartedly recommended especially at the $0.99 price tag
Old 07-24-2010, 08:05 PM

So far 8 out of 10 of my songs have been perfect and fun to play, but that's probably because a lot of my music has a strong beat to it. I took music from the DJ MAX series (my favorite rhythm game) and all the songs turn out to be extremely fun to play. I would like to note that adding songs into the game doesn't seem to use up any additional memory, and the game itself is only 5.5MB so that is a plus

I also noticed some interesting things about the difficulty. Easy the game speed is slow; normal is faster; and hard is the fastest. The note layouts are all different, but there are some inconsistencies like easy can actually be harder than hard

I wrote to the developer and invited them to the forum; hopefully we'll see them pop in?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Default Sorry for the double post, but

this game just got better! I unlocked the 5-key landscape, and in doing so it comes with the following difficulties: Hard, Crazy, and Extreme. I replayed some favorite songs I had stashed up and my thumbs got a crazy workout. Seriously if you like rhythm games, this has to be in your collection!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Default Game Impressions

Well, I happen to be a sucker for rhythm games too. For what it's worth, I pretty much agree with Maythius' posts:

- Tap track generation is great -- it gets done right on the device in a matter of seconds and hits the rhythms pretty well.

- Lag issues -- noticed a bit of lag on my 3GS, but it all went away when I restarted the device. Much nicer experience after doing that!

- Difficulty -- the 3-lane tracks were generally too easy. I suppose it depends on the type of music you choose, but I think the difficulty should generally be ramped up significantly to make the tracks more fun to play. It was tedious trying to unlock the five-lane skin, so I'm pretty disappointed here with the difficulty.

The five-lane tracks are MUCH more fun to play and are a bit trickier, but I still think they should be made harder. I'd like the "Extreme" difficulty tracks to be a real struggle to get through!

Overall, I'd say this game is a great step in the right direction for how rhythm games SHOULD be on iDevices. Worth the buck, and I'll stay hopeful that the developers get a chance to make a few more tougher difficulties.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM

After playing the hell out of this game, I think I know why the game is generally easy on most songs.

Me being an audio engineer, it appears that the algorithms used for the note generator seem to exclusively focus on the mid frequencies of the sound; the lows and highs are ignored.

I've noticed this because notes generally follow vocals, claps, and snares, but it will ignore the kick and bass unless they are very "punchy."

If the developer tweak the tolerance of the lows and highs; we'll see some improvements in the difficulty.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:10 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

@Maythius: that makes sense to me based on my own experience, too. It would be awesome if the devs could increase the sensitivity of the note generator -- maybe add in an extra three sets of difficulties for those really looking for a challenge.

Alternatively, since the focus of this game isn't really on the high scores you get for a song (it's more about having fun tapping along to any of your own songs), maybe the devs could make this note generation sensitivity customizable on the device... just a thought.

Gotta say, it would be pretty cool to be able to make the tracks as insane or tame as we want...