★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: $19.99 AppStore

View Poll Results: What is the highest price you are willing to spend on an iPhone game?
More then $20 53 18.28%
No more then $20 53 18.28%
No more then $15 18 6.21%
No more then $10 123 42.41%
No more then $5 35 12.07%
No more then $1 8 2.76%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll
03-03-2009, 01:51 AM
$19.99 AppStore

There has been talk for a while now about a version of the AppStore coming out where the price of games start at $20 bucks.

I find this well above a price I would be willing to spend for a game on the iPhone. Honestly I shy away from any game that is over $6. If a game comes out at $10 and I am really interested in it, I will wait for a price drop, no matter how long that price drop may take.

I'm curious, how many of my fellow forum mates have a price they are unwilling to buy games on the iPhone for? Is $20 to much for you? If your limit is $10 and three games come out in a single week that you really want, would you pay $10 each for all three or make a tough choice on which one you will buy now and wait a week to pick up another one, or even wait on a price drop for the other two?

We are in an interesting place right now when it comes to pricing on iPhone games. A game can come out at a particular price point and if the publisher doesn't believe it is moving at the rate they want it to, they can drop the price within hours. Then days later, pick the price back up to it's original price. You never see this at retail. You may catch an occasional sale, but not a rollercoaster ride of pricing on a particular game created by the publisher.

If the $20 AppStore does come true, will the bouncing of prices stop? It would have to, wouldn't it? I mean who would buy a game at $20 if they knew there was a very strong chance the price could drop by 25-50% within 2 weeks?

As an example, let's look at a game like, "Rounders." It was released around two weeks back on the AppStore for $10. In under 12 hours, the publisher dropped the price to $5. Now two weeks later the price is down to $1. How hostile is your costumer base going to be when you are talking about a $20 dollar game at launch that is down to $5 at the end of two weeks?

Does the anger increase when we start talking about higher priced games? Are you likely to be more upset if the starting price is $20 and the game is down to $5 in two weeks then if the game started at $5 and is down to $1 after two weeks?
03-03-2009, 02:07 AM
I said $15, but I guess I'm open to seeing what a $20 game looks like.

03-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Yeah I put no more than $20. But it has to be a really good game. And include a lot more levels/content than what are in games now.

My expectations would really high, but if it has everything and is polished, then I'd buy it at $20.

Twitter: @Zincous
03-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Come on people, vote low so Apple sees this and scraps the whole idea!

Not that there will be a premium section based around a specific price anyways
03-03-2009, 02:14 AM
As far as a 19.99 app store....

It depends on the quality of game. I mean look at game loft for instance. they are so worried about releasing games for money that they completely blow off updating them.

I think the iPhone must be attacked in a different perspective. It seems the games that continue to add updats are the most successful because it keeps people buying it. I stopped playing many of Gamelofts games in the matter of minutes because theres bug and then nothing happens.

With a 19.99 game, I expect the game to be flawless. With 80%+ Developers releasing garbage apps with so many bugs, apple would need to really control this premium section. I want supreme graphics and the game play needs to keep me playing for hours.

So far on the iPhone, I end up playing the game for a week tops and it gets boring.

So to answer your question, I wouldn't mind paying for the 19.99 premium game as long as it really was PREMIUM.
03-03-2009, 02:16 AM
If I was gonna buy a $20 dollar game, it would have to be grade-A quality, with as much depth or even more depth than a DS or even PSP game.
03-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
Come on people, vote low so Apple sees this and scraps the whole idea!

Not that there will be a premium section based around a specific price anyways
apple don't care what any of us think

As was states if devs wanted to they could already charge $20

I'm sure as people will want more quality games the price will rise, Dexter will be in that catergory I believe

Occasional Reviewer on ThePortableGamer
Official Reviewer on Razorianfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Space Girl
It was like the other day I went to MarthaStewart.com's forums for advice on how to program my new T-89 graphing calculator and well, let's just say no one there was very helpful.
03-03-2009, 02:19 AM
For me, I don't have any issues paying full price for games or apps if it's what I want. Outside of the iTunes store, games typically are more than $20, and the iTunes store follows its own economic scale. Honestly, the price fluctuations that occur seemingly at random here are the same that you face when you go to a physical store. Don't get me started on people who give poor reviews because they bought a game at full price, and then it went on sale the next day. I think the fact that the issue of your willingness to pay $20 for a game points to market forces in iTunes.

Having said that, while I don't have any issues with paying $20 or more for an app, it certainly creates an imbalance for indie developers since this new premium store is only for the big game companies. That part I don't like because it creates a class system. Sure, people will still buy what they can afford and hopefully that balances things out. But creating a class system that isn't open to developers in general really sets a bad precedent. With a $20 premium store, my guess is that marketing dollars both from Apple and these larger gaming companies will pour in potentially burying the indie devs. Of course, it could also force indie devs to increase the quality of their games...I've seen more than my share of quality games/apps from indie devs who also listen to users. My concern is that they will get drowned out by the behemoths.

On a more practical note, the iPotch and the iPhone have terrible battery life, and frankly if I'm paying a higher price for a "premium" game, I expect to be able to play it for more than an hour without worrying about the battery fizzing out on me. I know people talk about the Apple iPotch/iPhone gaming platform, but honestly, until they can get the hardware situation addressed, you're talking about apples and oranges (no pun intended) when compared to a PSP, Nintendo DS, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love my device and the wide variety of apps, but it's really suited for shorter gaming stints at this point.

Last edited by Big Albie; 03-03-2009 at 02:31 AM.
03-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainter View Post
apple don't care what any of us think

As was states if devs wanted to they could already charge $20

I'm sure as people will want more quality games the price will rise, Dexter will be in that catergory I believe
There are apps that are well above $20 in the itunes store but as for games, I haven't seen many that go above $7.99
03-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Having a premium $20 section would be great, at least it'll guarantee better placing, rather than having to compete with legions upon legions of $1 or $2 apps.

And $20 means that there'll be more incentive for us developer to create games that are of epic proportions. Maybe true RPG games will come with the premium section, and I'll be looking forward to that.

any updates on the games I'm working on : www.twitter.com/jormy