★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Iphone originals

03-03-2009, 04:33 AM
Iphone originals

listing down what i think are wholly iphone originals and wondering how these could be turned into franchises, and maybe ported to other platforms ....

so not gonna talk about puzzle quests, and other mobile originated stuff or clones like vector tanks, but original intellectual properties like below:

rolando
sway
zen bound
ancient frog
idracula
fieldrunners
trism

Can any of these make it on other platforms?
And how viable are they as future franchises like locoroco and bejeweled etc?
if yes to both, how can apple or any other major publisher help push these IPs?

I am thinking that if an iphone game can do so well here, these developers (most are indies) should have a chance to get their games played with as wide exposure as possible.

I think they fully deserve it!
03-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Zen Bound is basically a better version of Zen Bondage. And there are enough puzzle games and tower defenses out now. But the others COULD be released on other platforms I guess, but they would need to be changed. And probably work the best on the Wii IMO.

03-03-2009, 04:47 AM
I would say Trism and especially Fieldrunners could be successes on other mobile platforms. Rolando looks so similar to Locoroco that it is a wonder they were not sued.
03-03-2009, 04:58 AM
iDracula could work with dual analog stick.

Sway could work on Wii with some modifications in control scheme.

Fieldrunners and other TD games are inspired by computer games, so even though they're not really iPhone originals and can be easily ported back to computer.
03-03-2009, 05:02 AM
iDracula would be fun on a psp (controls will probably have to be modified) or a ds (d-button + stylus) but it'll probably need more levels, coop play and some more unlockable goodies to make it a full priced psp or ds game.
03-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
Most could prob do well on 360 arcade or equivilant. That's about as far as they'll go tho..

Lockscreen Wallpaper Creator
03-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlow32 View Post
rolando
sway
zen bound
ancient frog
idracula
fieldrunners
trism
- ngmoco is iFund seeded, so I don't think they'll move out of the iPhone platform anytime soon.
- ZenBound was a PC game first (Zen Bondage)
- Ancient frog. I suppose. don't think it's succesful enough yet
- iDracula - maybe after it's fleshed out
- Fieldrunners - I would see this since it's gotten so much recognition and could be played on another platform easily
- Sway and Trism - kinda loses a big part of it's appeal without iPhone controls.

Toy Bot is another iPhone original.

arn
03-03-2009, 05:45 AM
touchgrind, also is.

Could be played on NES track and field running pad!

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
03-03-2009, 05:50 AM
95% of the games are ripped off 'real' games so they don't deserve to make it to the real gaming platforms.

In fact, if they were on other platforms and no iPhone/iPod, I bet there would be lawsuits against quite a few of them.

The devs who are in it for money, fine. But the devs who think their games have made them proper devs to be noticed are kidding themselves.
03-03-2009, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreakuency View Post
95% of the games are ripped off 'real' games so they don't deserve to make it to the real gaming platforms.

In fact, if they were on other platforms and no iPhone/iPod, I bet there would be lawsuits against quite a few of them.

The devs who are in it for money, fine. But the devs who think their games have made them proper devs to be noticed are kidding themselves.
Fair enough, but I doubt 95%.....

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon